Oppo Camp Non Geelong football (AFL) discussion 2024, Part I

Remove this Banner Ad

Hilarious that Caro thinks Bevo has a toxic relationship with the media and says "Luke is deluded if he thinks we (the media) dictate the narrative."

Insane that she thinks the media don't dictate the narrative, when they want a player suspended, the media put out hit jobs. If they have a message to promote, its everywhere.

Caro is dishonest saying the media don't dictate the narrative. If they think Bevo has to go, hit pieces will follow.

Hilarious that Caro thinks Bevo has a toxic relationship with the media and says "Luke is deluded if he thinks we (the media) dictate the narrative."

Insane that she thinks the media don't dictate the narrative, when they want a player suspended, the media put out hit jobs. If they have a message to promote, its everywhere.

Caro is dishonest saying the media don't dictate the narrative. If they think Bevo has to go, hit pieces will follow.

Wasn't Caro the one who made a big thing about Richmond having to play an away game at an opposition's home ground, and how it was unfair on Richmond fans?

Feels a bit premature, but I'll take it if it turns out to be true...

I love everything about this clip.

Geelong likely grand finalists

Blues are so bad defensively that they're comparable to the worst teams in the league in Hawthorn and Richmond.

I'm not sure when I died but genuinely surprised to land in heaven

Posting also for general discussion purposes

How long until we see an extension in the mandatory time off after a player has suffered a concussion?

Should there also be the introduction (if it isn't already part of the policy) that the return to play process doesn't start until the player is free from concussion symptoms - we know some people may be ok the next day, while others may take longer for the symptoms to ease

So does the blanket 12 days off after a concussion need a rethink? Maybe even an addition where the mandatory time off doesn't start until after the player is free from concussion symptoms, and at that stage they work they a serious of steps for returning to exercise, light training, full training and playing etc.

BTW, this is from a couple of years ago when Steve Smith was concussed during The Ashes - but it gives an idea of how cricket approaches concussion

The ICC's guidelines for recovery from concussion include a graded return to play, starting with:
  • 24 hours relative rest, then
  • Light aerobic exercise, then
  • Light training, then
  • Full training, then
  • Player is cleared to compete.
If concussion symptoms return at any of these stages, the player should drop back an exercise level. The concussed player requires a formal medical clearance to return to training and play, and never permitted to return on the day of the injury.

----

And should the medical clearance be from an independent doctor rather than the club doctor?

Posting also for general discussion purposes

How long until we see an extension in the mandatory time off after a player has suffered a concussion?

Should there also be the introduction (if it isn't already part of the policy) that the return to play process doesn't start until the player is free from concussion symptoms - we know some people may be ok the next day, while others may take longer for the symptoms to ease

So does the blanket 12 days off after a concussion need a rethink? Maybe even an addition where the mandatory time off doesn't start until after the player is free from concussion symptoms, and at that stage they work they a serious of steps for returning to exercise, light training, full training and playing etc.

The can of worms here feels huge.

We're not good enough at diagnosing them. We're not good enough at measuring the impact. We don't, too my knowledge, have any way to measure recovery.

The only thing I can think of is giving every side 10 more list spots, 4 more bench spots, a month off for the first concussion, 2 months for a second, 4 months for a 3rd etc. Ever that might not be enough.

BTW, this is from a couple of years ago when Steve Smith was concussed during The Ashes - but it gives an idea of how cricket approaches concussion

The ICC's guidelines for recovery from concussion include a graded return to play, starting with:
  • Light training, then
  • Full training, then
If concussion symptoms return at any of these stages, the player should drop back an exercise level. The concussed player requires a formal medical clearance to return to training and play, and never permitted to return on the day of the injury.

----

And should the medical clearance be from an independent doctor rather than the club doctor?
In a non-contact sport

The can of worms here feels huge.

We're not good enough at diagnosing them. We're not good enough at measuring the impact. We don't, too my knowledge, have any way to measure recovery.

The only thing I can think of is giving every side 10 more list spots, 4 more bench spots, a month off for the first concussion, 2 months for a second, 4 months for a 3rd etc. Ever that might not be enough.

The Bulldogs need to receive a please explain about how they handled Libba's concussion on weekend, much in the same way that Port received a please explain & subsequently fined for their handling of the Allir Allir concussion last year

The above footage of Libba is from the second quarter and anyone watching on would quite comfortably say that he wasn't right - instead he continued to play & finished with 83% TOG

That screams negligence, especially for a player who was in his return match from a previous concussion

The AFL also needs to revert the sub to being purely a concussion sub, and what they used to do where teams could activate the sub while a player undergoes a concussion test so that teams can actually take the time to review these situations & not be rushed into making calls

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The Bulldogs need to receive a please explain about how they handled Libba's concussion on weekend, much in the same way that Port received a please explain & subsequently fined for their handling of the Allir Allir concussion last year

The above footage of Libba is from the second quarter and anyone watching on would quite comfortably say that he wasn't right - instead he continued to play & finished with 83% TOG

That screams negligence, especially for a player who was in his return match from a previous concussion

The AFL also needs to revert the sub to being purely a concussion sub, and what they used to do where teams could activate the sub while a player undergoes a concussion test so that teams can actually take the time to review these situations & not be rushed into making calls
That footage is a different game vs Hawthorn not Sundays

It was changed this year to 21 days for all competitions EXCEPT AFL and AFLW. 🤔

I mean I agree with you broadly but I think Caro's response would be that none of this would be happening if the Dogs were winning games. In that sense it is absolutely correct that Beveridge's views are deluded - the heat is on him and the Dogs because his own CEO came out last year and said they thought they had a Top 4 list, and they then missed finals and are on track to do so again.

It was changed this year to 21 days for all competitions EXCEPT AFL and AFLW. 🤔

These couple of paragraphs from that article is a head scratcher:

*The League said the "advanced care settings" and increased medical oversight for concussed AFL and AFLW players would allow them to continue with the three-stage, 11-step return to play protocols - with a mandatory minimum absence of 12 days - that have operated since the 2021 season.

Those protocols will apply even if AFL- and AFLW-listed players are concussed at state-league level.*

It's all good to have "advanced care settings", but what does that actually mean in regards to concussion which is a brain injury as I'm not sure sure the actual concussion knows the difference between a player at the community level, VFL/W or AFL/W

I'm also a little curious exactly what they mean when they say these protocols apply to AFL/W listed players who are concussed during a state league level match - does that mean if Neale is concussed in the VFL he's only out for the 12 days, but if it's Riccardi he's out for 21 days?

• Light training, then
  • Full training, then

----

I reckon even the AFL would have forced Pucovski into retirement by now....

Remove this Banner Ad

Back