Oppo Camp Non Geelong football (AFL) discussion 2024, Part I

Remove this Banner Ad

I feel like the club is being a little more sincere, rather than contemptuous.

Weird, I know.
You have clearly got loftier expectations than me.

I just want to enjoy watching my team play footy. Beyond an expectation that my club is made up of solid citizens (ie. no thanks Taryn Thomas) I don’t have any great desire for “sincerity”.

It is just a bunch of blokes chasing a leather ball. I will seek “sincerity” elsewhere in my life.

You have clearly got loftier expectations than me.

I just want to enjoy watching my team play footy. Beyond an expectation that my club is made up of solid citizens (ie. no thanks Taryn Thomas) I don’t have any great desire for “sincerity”.

It is just a bunch of blokes chasing a leather ball. I will seek “sincerity” elsewhere in my life.

You're taking my use of the word a bit far, but then maybe 'sincerity' wasn't the best descriptor either.

Anyhow, like you say, it's just a game and the peripherals aren't that important.

Hyper-specific stats nerd rant: although it's ultimately a pretty meaningless piece of trivia, it still annoys me that the official records (and media personalities) claim that Ross Lyon has made four AFL Grand Finals. He hasn't. He's coached his teams to three Grand Finals, one of which required a replay to determine the outcome. There were only three possible trophies across those four games, so he shouldn't get to claim the the drawn GF and the replay was the equivalent of making two GFs ffs. It was a single Grand Final. Claiming it's two Grand Finals would be a team claiming that they made two Champions League semi-finals because those semi-finals have both an away game and a home game. Stupid.

To suggest Lyon has coached his team to four Grand Finals makes it sound like he's made more GF appearances than Chris Scott which is absurd.

I've never once asked for, or advocated for, a 'detailed' injury report.

Not once have I seen anyone ask for details like blood tests, MRI results, neurological reports, or even blood pressures and heart rates.

All we've asked for, with which the AFL has agreed, is simply a relatively accurate return date, rather than the cynical 'term' that was thrown out.

Now, I don't necessarily disagree that the AFL has other motivations for doing so, but I don't think it's too much to ask on behalf of the supporters and sponsors who are the lifeblood of the club, and who have a simple, innocent interest in the welfare of the club and its players.

It's a simple thing, imo, that enhances the sense of involvement and belonging to a club as a supporter, rather than the sense of 'let them eat cake' that came with the 'term' designation.
Hallelujah 🙌

Amazing something so benign, that has no downside for all these people who supposedly don’t care, gets such a reaction out of them.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hallelujah 🙌

Amazing something so benign, that has no downside for all these people who supposedly don’t care, gets such a reaction out of them.
All well and good but how does one provide an accurate medical return date from injuries when recoveries can vary from individuals to individuals?

I really don’t get it at all the players will return when the medical team ticks them off having regular updates does nothing for supporters or the players imo it’s solely based around gambling not this claptrap of players welfare concern that being trotted out by posters

I'm going to assume they'll also have no care as to when Jezza now returns.
IT WON’T MAKE HIM HEAL ANY FASTER

Mocking Spongebob Squarepants GIF

All well and good but how does one provide an accurate medical return date from injuries when recoveries can vary from individuals to individuals?

I really don’t get it at all the players will return when the medical team ticks them off having regular updates does nothing for supporters or the players imo it’s solely based around gambling not this claptrap of players welfare concern that being trotted out by posters
You have too little faith in the medical profession if you think they can’t predict a reasonable range of return date. They did it with the Guthrie injury for example. Was that just dumb luck?

You have too little faith in the medical profession if you think they can’t predict a reasonable range of return date. They did it with the Guthrie injury for example. Was that just dumb luck?
They give an indicates timeframe when reporting injuries that should be enough …the expectation of a continuous reporting on the recovery and expected timeframe is just stupid imo and has been well argued on here for years

It’s based around SuperCoach and Gambling nothing more and nothing less and again I don’t get the entitlement view otherwise that we need to have those type of updates when it has nothing to do with us. Im Sure the “player welfare” line will be trotted out but how does us knowing how the recovery process is going with regular updates achieves that? It’s just being thrown out to make it look like it’s nothing coming from selfish reasons surrounding gambling and SuperCoach otherwise why do we need the updates? It doesn’t affect anything on the supporters side.

They give an indicates timeframe when reporting injuries that should be enough …the expectation of a continuous reporting on the recovery and expected timeframe is just stupid imo and has been well argued on here for years

It’s based around SuperCoach and Gambling nothing more and nothing less and again I don’t get the entitlement view otherwise that we need to have those type of updates when it has nothing to do with us.
I’m not understanding what you are arguing against. Yes they give indicative timeframes; that’s all that’s required.

I don’t play SuperCoach and I don’t use the information for gambling. I just like to know as a fan. Your premise is false.

I’m not understanding what you are arguing against. Yes they give indicative timeframes; that’s all that’s required.

I don’t play SuperCoach and I don’t use the information for gambling. I just like to know as a fan. Your premise is false.
My argument is this supposed need for continuous updates on the injuries which is what has been argued on here for a bit , as a fan do you really need more updates other than what is already provided with an estimated timeframe for the injury?

And if it goes past that timeframe then it shouldn’t need to be reported again what the estimated timeframe is as it changes nothing as a fan.

My argument is this supposed need for continuous updates on the injuries which is what has been argued on here for a bit , as a fan do you really need more updates other than what is already provided with an estimated timeframe for the injury?

And if it goes past that timeframe then it shouldn’t need to be reported again what the estimated timeframe is as it changes nothing as a fan.
Continuous? It’s once a week. What’s the harm?

Continuous? It’s once a week. What’s the harm?
That is what my point was why do you need it?

It doesn’t affect the supporters other than the reasons I have listed, the intital timeframe given when the injury is reported is enough , there’s zero need for regular updates per week on the players.

That is what my point was why do you need it?

It doesn’t affect the supporters other than the reasons I have listed, the intital timeframe given when the injury is reported is enough , there’s zero need for regular updates per week on the players.
Because I like to know and there’s zero downside.

Hallelujah 🙌

Bless.

Your need for irrelevant information making this your hill to die on. The player doesn't heal quicker and you're not important enough to need to know.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back