Oppo Camp Non Geelong football (AFL) discussion 2024, Part I

Remove this Banner Ad

Would love to see a sudden-death first team to score wins. Like so many other sports.

Edit* Just to clarify, since folks seem to be voicing their disagreement, my main thought is one of value for money for fans who pay the ticket price and go out to see their team have a chance at winning. In my view, the traditional draw as it stands just doesn't provide enough value for money for people. In American markets, they've slain this beast with various updates to the sport code in the case of draws, and it really does add a lot of value for money to the patron. Overtime in NHL is an amazing spectacle to see live at ice-level, for example.

Last edited:

Really starting to feel like Clarko at Norf is just like putting someone on chemo with Stage 4.

The club is so close to wrapping things up I reckon. If we don't see something from them soon, they might be the next club to be put out of their misery.

They should've fought to be sent down to Tassie. That was a life raft for them.
Demetriou stuffed it back when he demanded they make a decision on relocation to Gold Coast. Another year or two and they might have willingly gone. They were already playing a handful at Carrara. Gold Coast Kangaroos ... that's what it should have been.

Would love to see a sudden-death first team to score wins. Like so many other sports.

In finals that may be an option, but I like the extra time deal they currently have

In the H&A season, keep it as a draw - it does offer something different

From an opposition point of view....I'm happy for Richmond keep blaming the umps, rule changes, injuries, dastardly conspiracies about the AFL, etc.

The longer it takes them to admit "Hey we're really going crap here guys", the longer it will take them to rebuild.
They're almost like addicts in that respect. Progress will only be made once you admit to yourself that you have a problem.

I don't think I've ever seen a club supporter base deal with a fall from grace worse though.

Instead of seeing the reasoning for why they are were they are like this:

- The gameplan that worked for a period of time has since been foiled (happens to everybody, you're not special Richmond)

- The prime movers of the list either retired, or have declined considerably, namely one D Martin, who the was the lynchpin of that gamestyle.

- Ignoring the draft for years resulting in virtually zero kids coming through. (Fair, enough when they were in contention)

- While seeing this chasm, they massively overrate their list and double down trading the farm for two GWS mids who are just 'okay'.

- Snake oil salesmen of a coach who sold the future to these two players to get them across decides in round 10 of their first season at Richmond that he's now burnt out, only to sign with another club 3 months later.

- The key intelligence around the Richmond dynasty in Kingsley, Hardwick, McRae, O'Neil, Balme, & Gale has now either left, or is on the way out.

Instead of seeing all of that as an explanation, they've decided:

- It's all Steve Hocking's fault. Nevermind that he was only employed at the AFL between '16-21, they should be thanking him on that timeline.

- The umpires are corrupt against them, ignoring that their players commit some of the stupidest acts on a football field which contribute to that free kick discrepancy.

- They're actually still the best team in the comp, it's just the AFL has decided it doesn't want Richmond to succeed, despite the fact that any big 4 Melbourne club delivers a ridiculous financial return for the AFL when they are successful.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Without a shadow of doubt the best " Draw" ever was Queens Birthday Monday 1968 Rich v Haw MCG , i actually listened to the last qtr on the car radio

The Horrible Hawks ( they werent much good ) were quite chuffed drawing with the Mighty Tigers ( reigning Premiers ) - thus the Hawks players were halfway through singing their club song , but the singing abruptly stopped because they got some shocking news .

Without a shadow of doubt the best " Draw" ever was Queens Birthday Monday 1968 Rich v Haw MCG , i actually listened to the last qtr on the car radio

The Horrible Hawks ( they werent much good ) were quite chuffed drawing with the Mighty Tigers ( reigning Premiers ) - thus the Hawks players were halfway through singing their club song , but the singing abruptly stopped because they got some shocking news .
I didn't know about this and you had me in suspense, so I looked it up. An error by those updating the scoreboard led to them giving Hawthorn an extra point. The umps reviewed and discovered the discrepancy at the end of the game, so that point was taken off to make Richmond the victors after the siren.
https://www.richmondfc.com.au/news/755430/flashback-to-1968-tigers-v-hawks

For all the conspiracy theories Richmond fans have nowadays, I can imagine Hawks fans at the time feeling like the league was out to get them or there was something funny going on when the scores were changed after the game to allow the reigning premiers to win.

Couldn't have happened to two better clubs at the time (barring Pies) :D

If there was a repeat of that match today, the melts would be out of this world and BigFooty would be down for days :grinv1:

I didn't know about this and you had me in suspense, so I looked it up. An error by those updating the scoreboard led to them giving Hawthorn an extra point. The umps reviewed and discovered the discrepancy at the end of the game, so that point was taken off to make Richmond the victors after the siren.
https://www.richmondfc.com.au/news/755430/flashback-to-1968-tigers-v-hawks

For all the conspiracy theories Richmond fans have nowadays, I can imagine Hawks fans at the time feeling like the league was out to get them or there was something funny going on when the scores were changed after the game to allow the reigning premiers to win.

I can't imagine the reaction if that happened today...especially if the roles were reversed.

Edit* Just to clarify, since folks seem to be voicing their disagreement, my main thought is one of value for money for fans who pay the ticket price and go out to see their team have a chance at winning. In my view, the traditional draw as it stands just doesn't provide enough value for money for people. In American markets, they've slain this beast with various updates to the sport code in the case of draws, and it really does add a lot of value for money to the patron. Overtime in NHL is an amazing spectacle to see live at ice-level, for example.
I can't agree on the value for money concept. They get a nail biting game. The get the full minutes of entertainment. Not every child needs to win a prize.

The following image is taken off X in regards to Liam Baker, but it's the Clark bit I found interesting

I'm not sure I remember reading or hearing the following until now - I remember WCE having some good picks & that it would have been nice to try & get one in a trade

I didn't realise they had zero interest in Clark - reads like WCE was his preference but they weren't interested in him

Wonder what would have happened if Fremantle also said they had no interest

1715580268060.png

Remove this Banner Ad

Back