Non Lions Discussion 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Another team who isn't good enough to play this well for very long.

Beside the point, they clear out area in front of a leading forward whereas we tend to bomb and hope for a contested mark or Charlie to get one over the back; neither which has happened much this year at all.

Beside the point, they clear out area in front of a leading forward whereas we tend to bomb and hope for a contested mark or Charlie to get one over the back; neither which has happened much this year at all.
I think it has more to do with their ball movement. They are moving forward and pretty directly basically as quickly as possible, and it's resulting in a pretty open forward line.

Our ball movement tends to be more measured, limiting the space our forwards have because the opposition has time to get numbers back. Our measured approach makes it easier for us to defend turnovers, while Port are exposed on turnover. Yes, they lead by 5 goals, but they've also conceded 21 points in the first quarter which is still above AFL average. Risk and reward.

Geelong's strategic response will be interesting - we saw Stewart go to a wing during the term... Quarter time will give them greater scope to organise some other things.

Geelong playing a zone defence that totally ignores the Port players. Going as well as their forward line.
Here they come 🤷

Port have made it such a fast game they have left the door plenty ajar.

Reminiscent of our game against Richmond at the MCG in 2022.

Love him or hate him, BT is bang on the money right now.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't say this often but....

Carn Port!!!!!

Self entitled Geelong home crowd losing their collective minds.......loverly!
Port's response to Geelong's momentum late in the quarter was impressive. They were able to stagnate the game to a reasonable extent. It surprised me, particularly after Collingwood ran over the top of them to lead by half time only a couple of weeks ago. Let's see if they're able to sustain their effort.

Port's response to Geelong's momentum late in the quarter was impressive. They were able to stagnate the game to a reasonable extent. It surprised me, particularly after Collingwood ran over the top of them to lead by half time only a couple of weeks ago. Let's see if they're able to sustain their effort.

Don't want to go the early crow lest I mozz them but I did say to footy loving son earlier today, that I reckoned Port would win this.

Don't want to go the early crow lest I mozz them but I did say to footy loving son earlier today, that I reckoned Port would win this.
They had a good high scoring win against Geelong there late last year. Altho Geelong perhaps weren't going quite so well at that time.

These games aren't badly timed. First half at Geelong finished just as the Perth game started. Well done AFL 👏

Port need to keep the energy levels up and keep attacking.

It's pretty much a given in modern AFL footy that if you try to protect a lead you only invite the opposition back into the game
I'm not sure whether my perspective on the way footy's heading is right or just imagination but it seems to me that footy is becoming more and more about momentum and once you lose or gain momentum anything is possible. Protecting leads is yesterday's strategy.

I'm not sure whether my perspective on the way footy's heading is right or just imagination but it seems to me that footy is becoming more and more about momentum and once you lose or gain momentum anything is possible. Protecting leads is yesterday's strategy.
It's because teams are so even, the game is so much more played upstairs than ever before. We have a draft and salary cap to thank for that.

Meanwhile over in the west Freo's inside 50 entries are making ours look positively surgical right now 🤦

It's because teams are so even, the game is so much more played upstairs than ever before. We have a draft and salary cap to thank for that.

Meanwhile over in the west Freo's inside 50 entries are making ours look positively surgical right now 🤦
The comp is evening up without doubt. Plus the length of the season and 5 day breaks and whatever else can see big swings in form.

It's a shame we have so many injuries because we can beat anyone on our day like many other teams. But maybe the injuries could have some positive bi products.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back