Non Lions Discussion 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Well possibly falling off the cliff after 14 years of fighting it out at the upper echelon of the table and throw in 2 premierships isn't the worst record going around. I'd take that over 5 years of finals and zero premierships every day of the week.

Fagan has a long way to go to top Chris Scott's coaching career.

But that's the point. Chris has had 14 years. Give Fagan 14 and he very likely may match Chris' record. Fagan is not doing too bad for the time he has had.

But that's the point. Chris has had 14 years. Give Fagan 14 and he very likely may match Chris' record. Fagan is not doing too bad for the time he has had.
The thing about teams falling off a cliff when good/great coaches leave is that it usually coincides with the playing list having fallen or falling off a cliff and all the great players that made great coaches coming to their inevitable end , Irel.

History shoes that getting rid of good/great coaches is mostly a poor move but the issues are more complex than the capacity of the coach themselves.

Fagan has been very good at attracting players to the club that have really improved the team and whilst he's able to keep doing that no sane person would replace him , but it's just my personal view that he needs someone younger and more dynamic with Senior coaching aspirations as a backup/successor to keep our performance at a high standard.

Well possibly falling off the cliff after 14 years of fighting it out at the upper echelon of the table and throw in 2 premierships isn't the worst record going around. I'd take that over 5 years of finals and zero premierships every day of the week.

Fagan has a long way to go to top Chris Scott's coaching career.
I wonder how Chris Scott would have gone if he had picked up the Lions as a basket case like Fagan did. Scott picked up a premiership team and has done an amazing job keeping them at the top.

I don't think you can read too much into the Cats losing last night, without a few significant players and I don't think you can underestimate how much the humidity in Darwin would of taken out of them, fatigue would have set in early IMO.

Suns had a massive advantage being up there for 2 weeks acclimatizing to the conditions.

Great to see them get obliterated though.
What annoys me in a respect kind of way is that the Cats regularly drop games, even in their flag year and it al seems acceptable and Chris Scott isn’t even perturbed by it. I’ve two Cats mates who themselves aren’t mates and they’re the same. It’s just this cavalier attitude like she’s right, everything’s good and we’ll be right come business end of the year.

I don’t feel at anytime between 19-23 that we’ve had things in control like or Fagan or the vibe was ever like that.

Anyway, I wish the club gave off a vibe remotely like the Cats or I had the confidence in my team like my Cats mates do in their team.

What annoys me in a respect kind of way is that the Cats regularly drop games, even in their flag year and it al seems acceptable and Chris Scott isn’t even perturbed by it. I’ve two Cats mates who themselves aren’t mates and they’re the same. It’s just this cavalier attitude like she’s right, everything’s good and we’ll be right come business end of the year.

I don’t feel at anytime between 19-23 that we’ve had things in control like or Fagan or the vibe was ever like that.

Anyway, I wish the club gave off a vibe remotely like the Cats or I had the confidence in my team like my Cats mates do in their team.

What?

Everyone goes off when Fagan refers to stats and what's going well after a loss or talks about learnings

I wonder how Chris Scott would have gone if he had picked up the Lions as a basket case like Fagan did. Scott picked up a premiership team and has done an amazing job keeping them at the top.
That's an intriguing question. Not only was our team a basket case but whole of club, just about every department was on the nose. What Fagan has achieved in changing our club from a basket case to current strength is astonishing.

All empires eventually fall. IMO, their decline may be different to the Lions, Hawks, Eagles bottoming out etc but teams that finish in the 6-12 every year will eventually start to stagnate. Free agency will help obviously. The other other outlier team, Sydney, would not be there without their academy (which is great for them). Interestingly, both Geelong and Sydney have good long term coaches and stable administration.

As for Geelong, their home ground advantage is not as great as it was due to (1) better game plans and (2) stronger non-Victorian teams. Competitive Essendon and Carlton for the first time in 20 years will also compete with them for good free agents.

That's an intriguing question. Not only was our team a basket case but whole of club, just about every department was on the nose. What Fagan has achieved in changing our club from a basket case to current strength is astonishing.

I agree that Fagan has been pivotal but you're re-writing history. Greg Swann (started August 2014) and the Board are the people that set the Lions in the right direction before Fagan's arrival in 2016.

I agree that Fagan has been pivotal but you're re-writing history. Greg Swann (started August 2014) and the Board are the people that set the Lions in the right direction before Fagan's arrival in 2016.

I agree. I am not trying to re-write history. Fagan was one of several contributing to the change. It all goes hand in hand. Change at board level, appointing Swann, bringing in Noble and Fagan. However without on field success the other areas ultimately may have continued to struggle. I just want people to understand from whence we come from and appreciate where we are now. Instead of taking pot shots and calling for Fagan's sacking lets take a breath and remind ourselves that we are still on that journey together with Fages.

I know most assume if he's leaving that he'd go back to SA. But you'd be nuts not to be asking the question. So many teams could do with him playing CHF
Same with Swans Will Hayward in some respects. SA boy, but apparently it’s his Mrs who is a Melbourne girl that wants to go home, so he’s obviously got the offer from the Swans, the two SA clubs and now pretty much every VIC club will be falling over themselves to sign him too. Nice spot to be in for him.

I just realized Luke Parker is fit but couldn't make it back into Swans side. That's a big statement. He was their captain last season. To think Sydney Captain Mills will be in the same boat whenever he's fit, shows how good Swans have been travelling. Amazing.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Strange season so far. Other than Sydney are we yet to see the true contenders emerge on the ladder?

It would be better for the Lions if the top four or five teams started to solidify at the top of the ladder and see if we can get a bit of a mid table run going.

Carlton cannot play when they don’t have certain parts of the game on their terms. And they can’t deal with pressure. If they get injuries to any key players it’ll be tough scenes.

Strange season so far. Other than Sydney are we yet to see the true contenders emerge on the ladder?

It would be better for the Lions if the top four or five teams started to solidify at the top of the ladder and see if we can get a bit of a mid table run going.

it would be better for the Lions if we could just get a good solid winning streak going.

Win enough games and our ladder position will take care of itself.

It's imperative that we take care of business against the Tigers and the Hawks to get to 5-5-1.

A slip up against either means we are just not good enough.

Win both and we have the cavalry coming back including Zac in the short term, Starc in the short/medium term and Washcroft a bit later on.

Making the Finals is do-able and even top 4 isn't totally out of the question IF we win ALL the games we're supposed to and knock over a couple of other contenders along the way.

It's not impossible.

GWS and Carlton both looked GONE much later in the 2023 H&A season than we look right now and both made a PF.

Geelong looked a million dollars three weeks ago and now Sydney are everyone's undisputed Flag favourites.

Now Geelong look highly vulnerable....Sydney are good but are they that good?

Still a loooong way to go this season and injury and luck will as usual, play a big part.:footy:

Why was Warner such a late pick? We picked Dev, Brock Smith and Kiddy before him
He was a role player in that WA championship team. Robertson and Luke Jackson were the main drivers of that team, along with Trent Rivers off half back.

A lot of these "misses" aren't misses. Kids mature at different rates, and we're drafting kids at 18, when it's been the early developers who get the main roles in teams, even ahead of more skilled players. By 21, 22 when the late developers catch up, we have a different view of a draft class.

Also, Sydney have had a good reputation of developing kids for a long time.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back