Opinion North Board-Media & Entertainment

Remove this Banner Ad

A Distant Field of Murder
J.Critchett (mid 90’s?)

Focuses on the “Eumerella Wars” of Western Victoria.

I’ll have to check them out. I’m listening to some fiction by Jack Carr at the moment just to lighten it up a bit. His first book, the Terminal list has just been turned into a series starring Chris Pratt on Prime.

I’ll have to check them out. I’m listening to some fiction by Jack Carr at the moment just to lighten it up a bit. His first book, the Terminal list has just been turned into a series starring Chris Pratt on Prime.
Looking forward to it tomorrow

I’m listening to the audio book about Israel Keyes called American predator. This guy and the Golden State Killer are the two dudes that scared me the most.

Keyes though was just so random. Seriously scary dude

https://www.audible.com.au/pd?asin=...ORAP0511160006&share_location=player_overflow 1661236927038.png

Edit- Don’t recommend reading/listening to this book. There’s nothing really in there you can’t find in a Google search. And tbh it made me feel a bit gross because Keyes would love that someone wrote a book about him.

Last edited:
That's one of the best (and worst) things i ever read as a kid.
I watched the 1930 movie first and then the book. The fact that they both pissed off Hitler is an added bonus. It tells a very important story.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

WW1 certainly put an end to the fallacy that war is just a bit of fun.

I meant more from the point of view that most of my war knowledge was from Commando comics, plus playing war with all the kids around the neighbourhood.
Then you read the book and it was a real eye opener

also found out a little later about family members who had been gassed in WW1, plus shot down flying bombers in WW 2 etc etc

wasnt a game then !

Anyone that likes the Hardcore History podcast should check out the latest podcast put out by The Martyrmade podcast.

Darryl is fantastic and gives the background to the story like no one else.

“In August 1921, 10,000-20,000 armed coal miners marched on Mingo County, West Virginia to lift the martial law imposed there, free their jailed brethren, and avenge the assassination of one of their local heroes. At least 20,000 more wives, young boys and other civilians followed the army providing medical, logistical and other services. Before it was over, they would storm a mountainside under fire from entrenched machine guns, and while being bombed from the air. It was the largest and most serious armed insurrection in US history since the Civil War. This episode is going to discuss the West Virginia Coal Mine Wars, and The Battle of Blair Mountain.”

What the mining companies did to the minors is flat out disgraceful. Stealing their land and setting up what can only be described as dictatorships. Incredible story.

I meant more from the point of view that most of my war knowledge was from Commando comics, plus playing war with all the kids around the neighbourhood.
Then you read the book and it was a real eye opener

also found out a little later about family members who had been gassed in WW1, plus shot down flying bombers in WW 2 etc etc

wasnt a game then !
1847328210.jpg

I finished the book a couple of days ago. What a magnificent bit of writing. The author captured the feeling of a warrior at war. I find it an especially important piece of writing purely because it was written from the opposite side. That really drives home that at the core of it the people aren’t that different, yet they’re the people condemned to fight.

I finished the book a couple of days ago. What a magnificent bit of writing. The author captured the feeling of a warrior at war. I find it an especially important piece of writing purely because it was written from the opposite side. That really drives home that at the core of it the people aren’t that different, yet they’re the people condemned to fight.

If they can capture the feel of “1917” this will be epic.

Have you watched that Peter Jackson colourisation doco. Fantastic. Those last 5 minutes were something I never really appreciated

Just finished both seasons of Only Murders in the Building on Disney+ and loved it.

A warning though, you have to get to the end of season 2 before you google anything about the show - even checking guest spot cast - or you will get spoilers.

Have you watched that Peter Jackson colourisation doco. Fantastic. Those last 5 minutes were something I never really appreciated

Haven’t seen it.

What the book captures most I think is that they are just normal people trying to survive a disastrous and pointless situation. Death awaits them at every turn and they try to cope by enjoying small victories like finding something decent to eat. And also that they’re just kids who aren’t really nationalists, they don’t hate the people they’re fighting, they hold more contempt for the politicians that got them there and the officers that lord over them. It’s senseless and hopeless.

The other thing that really drove home for me that the soldiers are the same on both sides, was because it’s narrated by a Englishman you have to remind yourself that the story is from the German perspective.

It’s a lot easier to digest then the other book(s) I’m listening to, The Gulag Archipelago. Man that is a commitment, it goes for 23hrs 29mins of just story after story of the worst abuse of human rights.

To put that in context All Quiet on the Western Front goes for 7hrs 9mins

Have you ever listened to the Hardcore History series Blueprint for Armageddon? Obviously I have no way of knowing, but I think that captures WW1 like nothing else I’ve come across.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back