Opinion North Board-Media & Entertainment

Remove this Banner Ad

This may not be the crowd for it but I just finished season 1 of Julia on Binge, about the start of Julia Child’s TV life and more broadly about being a woman in America in the early 60s. By the guy who did Mrs Maisel. Cast includes Sarah Lancaster as Julia and David Hyde Pierce and Bebe Neuwirth (sighs with delight) as her husband and her best friend. Really enjoyed it.

One of the Club's pop culture moments of the 80's - having the NMFC scarf displayed daily on primetime kids TV over 900 episodes. Not sure we leveraged that exposure though.
Yeah - agree. Since then I haven't seen one kangaroo with a NMFC scarf.

I’m currently listening to the audiobook ‘Killers of the Flower Moon and the birth of the FBI’ which is the bases of Martin Scorsese’s new movie.

The only way to describe it is pure evil. Can’t believe this piece of history isn’t more commonly known. Guess Scorsese’s movie will change that.

I’m currently listening to the audiobook ‘Killers of the Flower Moon and the birth of the FBI’ which is the bases of Martin Scorsese’s new movie.

The only way to describe it is pure evil. Can’t believe this piece of history isn’t more commonly known. Guess Scorsese’s movie will change that.
Crazy s**t hey. This stuff still happens to a degree too.

Its not enough to steal the land. In the Osage case they used Western systems and bought their land then made it a co-op. I dunno if they knew there was oil there and its long term value but it wouldn't surprise me if they did... They basically set it up so they couldn't be bought out. SO naturally they had to be killed off.

There are some red people in the US who believe the FBI was ordered to cover up this massive conspiracy at all levels of US government to murder them all off. I dunno how true that is cos I've never really looked into it.

Crazy s**t hey. This stuff still happens to a degree too.

Its not enough to steal the land. In the Osage case they used Western systems and bought their land then made it a co-op. I dunno if they knew there was oil there and its long term value but it wouldn't surprise me if they did... They basically set it up so they couldn't be bought out. SO naturally they had to be killed off.

There are some red people in the US who believe the FBI was ordered to cover up this massive conspiracy at all levels of US government to murder them all off. I dunno how true that is cos I've never really looked into it.

There’s no way they knew the land was valuable.

I haven’t finished it yet, I’m half way through part 3. The book is narrated by 3 different people. I thought it was going to be finished at the end of part 2 because it sort of wraps up in a nice bow.

Part 3 is when the rubber really hits the road though and you find out just how bad it was. A literal culture of murder, conspiracy is a better word actually. The coldness is chilling.

Even though most of them got away with it while they were alive, it’s kind of comforting to know that history doesn’t forge, even though it took an investigation almost 100 years later to expose just how many people were involved.

There’s no way they knew the land was valuable.

I haven’t finished it yet, I’m half way through part 3. The book is narrated by 3 different people. I thought it was going to be finished at the end of part 2 because it sort of wraps up in a nice bow.

Part 3 is when the rubber really hits the road though and you find out just how bad it was. A literal culture of murder, conspiracy is a better word actually. The coldness is chilling.

Even though most of them got away with it while they were alive, it’s kind of comforting to know that history doesn’t forge, even though it took an investigation almost 100 years later to expose just how many people were involved.
I heard about this years ago. Someone said they picked that spot because of their (dead) ancestors or god advising them to move there. I take that stuff kind of seriously even tho I get most normal people don't.

The bloke who used to be president of my old footy club was a blackfella who gave legal advice to Jacqui Katona during the Jabiluka mine resistance 25 years ago. He was very interesting, had been in Canada at the Oka conflict in the early 90s as an observor when the Mohawk and Canadian government almost went to war over a golf course.

Originally the Osage moved west because they fought and lost to the Iroquois Confederacy, which include the Mohawk nation. Around the time the Europeans really settled in North America. North American history (including Canada) is really trippy. There are people who argue the European Enlightenment was a result of exposure to those Northern and Eastern (even tho they moved to the central west) US mobs.

My mate was also a native title lecturer at a law school and i'm sure that Osage case actually motivated him. He used to mention it sometimes, not always by name but as an event but there was very little info about available a quarter of a century ago. The context was the Native Title act and how it undermined the rights recognised by Mabo and the necessity of holding mining rights over country as well to stop extinguishment of native title. * I still remember that s**t. I used to talk about it to these US first nations people when I first got online and they were really pissed off about it but didn't really go into details about what happened.

I'll check that story out tho. Cheers.

I heard about this years ago. Someone said they picked that spot because of their (dead) ancestors or god advising them to move there. I take that stuff kind of seriously even tho I get most normal people don't.

The bloke who used to be president of my old footy club was a blackfella who gave legal advice to Jacqui Katona during the Jabiluka mine resistance 25 years ago. He was very interesting, had been in Canada at the Oka conflict in the early 90s as an observor when the Mohawk and Canadian government almost went to war over a golf course.

Originally the Osage moved west because they fought and lost to the Iroquois Confederacy, which include the Mohawk nation. Around the time the Europeans really settled in North America. North American history (including Canada) is really trippy. There are people who argue the European Enlightenment was a result of exposure to those Northern and Eastern (even tho they moved to the central west) US mobs.

My mate was also a native title lecturer at a law school and i'm sure that Osage case actually motivated him. He used to mention it sometimes, not always by name but as an event but there was very little info about available a quarter of a century ago. The context was the Native Title act and how it undermined the rights recognised by Mabo and the necessity of holding mining rights over country as well to stop extinguishment of native title. * I still remember that s**t. I used to talk about it to these US first nations people when I first got online and they were really pissed off about it but didn't really go into details about what happened.

I'll check that story out tho. Cheers.

It was known but the whole thing wasn’t put together till this book was written. The FBI got a couple of guys, one mastermind and pinned the whole thing on them.
spoiler in case anyone wants to watch the movie

Then Grann went to visit Osage Nation in Oklahoma and started talking to people and realised the original investigation didn’t even scratch the surface and started his own investigation (he’s an investigational journalist) and found there were hundreds more murders then reported. He found records of a huge amount of guardians (white people that we supposed to watch over the Osage to make sure they didn’t waste their oil money) with multiple Osage under their “care” where the whole lot had died way too young and the guardians would get their oil money. So many people were in on it, the mayor, the original investigators, doctors (poisoning was the preferred method), white men and women married into the Osage and their spouses and even children would die or go missing.

So ****ed up.

It was known but the whole thing wasn’t put together till this book was written. The FBI got a couple of guys, one mastermind and pinned the whole thing on them.
spoiler in case anyone wants to watch the movie

Then Grann went to visit Osage Nation in Oklahoma and started talking to people and realised the original investigation didn’t even scratch the surface and started his own investigation (he’s an investigational journalist) and found there were hundreds more murders then reported. He found records of a huge amount of guardians (white people that we supposed to watch over the Osage to make sure they didn’t waste their oil money) with multiple Osage under their “care” where the whole lot had died way too young and the guardians would get their oil money. So many people were in on it, the mayor, the original investigators, doctors (poisoning was the preferred method), white men and women married into the Osage and their spouses and even children would die or go missing.

So ducked up.
That bit in italics is pretty much what I heard all those years ago.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That bit in italics is pretty much what I heard all those years ago.

Don’t doubt it. Sounds like it was an open secret. The Osage knew but no one cared enough to do anything about it and now it’s too late.

Just pure evil.

Edit- just had a look at the Wikipedia page and it states 60+ murders. Going by the book the number is in the hundreds. Not that long ago either, 1910’s to 1930’s

Don’t doubt it. Sounds like it was an open secret. The Osage knew but no one cared enough to do anything about it and now it’s too late.

Just pure evil.

Edit- just had a look at the Wikipedia page and it states 60+ murders. Going by the book the number is in the hundreds. Not that long ago either, 1910’s to 1930’s
Its like Poisoned Water Hole Creek in Narrandera. On the road from Melbourne to Dubbo you will drive over it. I first saw it last century. Recently there was some public acknowledgement of that mass murder. A bunch of indigenous people were chased of Minyon Falls in the Nightcap National Park. The Bundjalung Nation in Northern NSW was a confederacy (much like the Iraquois Confederacy) formed after the massacre of the Bundjalung people at Evans Head in NSW.

I know people who would never let me read their grandparents and great grandparents diaries. They have. They don't talk about it tho. (Maybe on a late night after a few too many if I managed to slip them some weed.... can't say i blame them.) I dunno what I'd do if I knew that sort of thing about my ancestors. My pop was a Black and Tan in Ireland before he came to Australia. (And married a Manion. LOL.)

Its like Poisoned Water Hole Creek in Narrandera. On the road from Melbourne to Dubbo you will drive over it. I first saw it last century. Recently there was some public acknowledgement of that mass murder. A bunch of indigenous people were chased of Minyon Falls in the Nightcap National Park. The Bundjalung Nation in Northern NSW was a confederacy (much like the Iraquois Confederacy) formed after the massacre of the Bundjalung people at Evans Head in NSW.

I know people who would never let me read their grandparents and great grandparents diaries. They have. They don't talk about it tho. (Maybe on a late night after a few too many if I managed to slip them some weed.... can't say i blame them.) I dunno what I'd do if I knew that sort of thing about my ancestors. My pop was a Black and Tan in Ireland before he came to Australia. (And married a Manion. LOL.)

I have been searching for books about what Australia/British colonisers did to the indigenous people of Australia.

Any recommendations? I’m thinking about ‘Dark Emu’ as my next book.

I haven't read Dark Emu but there is a book called The Biggest Estate on Earth by Bill Gammage that is a more academic less controversial version of the same argument. There is a similar book called Fire Country by Victor Steffensen, who practises indigenous land management in Cape York. He trained people from my part of the world (south of Brisbane, Githabul Mob) who I've worked with doing traditional burning. Its so much more complex and intricate than the way we (ie modern Australians) burn.

But there are other books. Not alot on massacres that I'm aware of cos its such a taboo subject in alot of places. There are people alive who knew victims and people alive who knew the perpetraators. And often those perps were loving grandparents ... the cognitive dissonance is intense for some of those people reconciling loving family memebers with such monstrous/typically human behaviour. Throughout history horrible things were done by people who went home at night and loved their kids.

Blood on the Wattle
(Bruce Elder) is probably the most famous but I haven't read it. I have heard alot of stories first hand so I've no desire to re read them or read others.

I haven't read Dark Emu but there is a book called The Biggest Estate on Earth by Bill Gammage that is a more academic less controversial version of the same argument. There is a similar book called Fire Country by Victor Steffensen, who practises indigenous land management in Cape York. He trained people from my part of the world (south of Brisbane, Githabul Mob) who I've worked with doing traditional burning. Its so much more complex and intricate than the way we (ie modern Australians) burn.

But there are other books. Not alot on massacres that I'm aware of cos its such a taboo subject in alot of places. There are people alive who knew victims and people alive who knew the perpetraators. And often those perps were loving grandparents ... the cognitive dissonance is intense for some of those people reconciling loving family memebers with such monstrous/typically human behaviour. Throughout history horrible things were done by people who went home at night and loved their kids.

Blood on the Wattle (Bruce Elder) is probably the most famous but I haven't read it. I have heard alot of stories first hand so I've no desire to re read them or read others.

The lack of books is pretty surprising given how many atrocities were committed. The guys that do the dollop podcast did one on John Batman that included things I’d never heard of, like how down in Tassie the government would pay for the scalps of indigenous people, something that John Batman did to make a bit of coin.

RE- your comment that you’ve heard stories first hand and have no interest in reading about them would be a major reason a lot of the history doesn’t have more acknowledgement. Most of it is past down through generations through stories and not written down.

If you're in need of a few laughs, check out Man vs Bee on Netflix, 9 x 11 minute episodes of Rowan Atkinson up to his old tricks
Up to his old tricks Blackadder style? Or Mr Bean style? If it's the latter, I'm out.

I have been searching for books about what Australia/British colonisers did to the indigenous people of Australia.

Any recommendations? I’m thinking about ‘Dark Emu’ as my next book.

A Distant Field of Murder
J.Critchett (mid 90’s?)

Focuses on the “Eumerella Wars” of Western Victoria.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back