Discussion North Melbourne's home jumper going forward

Remove this Banner Ad

Weird one. Royal jumper is clearly not close to being as strong to the white one nor is it nearly as "North".

What a giant ****up it is using the jumper in this game too.
Nah I think the desired effect is that they get to wear their home shorts for a home game, which is fair enough.

While it leaves a bad taste that they're creating unnessecary clashes I think their intent is to only wear this jumper when the AFL would otherwise force them to wear away shorts at home, and is not a movement to break from tradition necessarily.

Nah I think the desired effect is that they get to wear their home shorts for a home game, which is fair enough.

While it leaves a bad taste that they're creating unnessecary clashes I think their intent is to only wear this jumper when the AFL would otherwise force them to wear away shorts at home, and is not a movement to break from tradition necessarily.

Which just proves how ridiculous it is that North prioritise shorts over jumper. What other club would do this?!

Which just proves how ridiculous it is that North prioritise shorts over jumper. What other club would do this?!
I get the feeling it's just North being precious after all their ridiculous issues (Argentina top, anyone?) in the past when it comes to home games.

I agree it's stupid though.

Isn't it time to finally ditch this white shorts away rule 100%?

Have a dark jumper, wear dark shorts

Have a light jumper, wear light shorts

If both sides have the same, away team in the contrasting colour

Also not a fan of the notion clubs will be playing in both their away and home jersey for home games. We already dilute things with Anzac, dream time, sugar daddy and so on kit. Let's not dilute things more than necessary

Just as long we don't see stupid combinations like North in white/blue and Bulldogs/Carlton etc in Blue/white or Geelong in white/navy vs Crows in hoops/white. If North are seriously advocating for this crap by having a whinge about shorts then they need to move forward with the times. The AFL is literally a billion dollar industry and in order to show professionalism, jumper and shorts combos must be at a point where clashes aren't ridiculous. If this means North and Geelong wearing white shorts at home then so be it. White shorts or not, they are still in their home Guernsey!!!!

The North Carlton game just shows the ridiculousness of the shorts rule. Apparently you can't have a white jumper vs a navy jumper and not worry about the shorts (royal vs navy) because the shorts will cause a clash, but it's fine to have a royal vs navy jumper as long as those tiny bits of fabric down the bottom are royal vs white. Absolutely mental and amatuer hour. But not surprising as it always seems to be an issue with a few Vic clubs.

It reminds me of FIFAs ruling in the WC about single colour kits that ended up having Spain and Netherlands in away. These blanket rules will always put the cart before the horse and make issues where there should be none.
How hard can it be to have someone with a little bit of common sense decide for each game what the best outcome is, taking each sides preferences in? That way we won't have to see great, traditional strips go the way of Collingwood's.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It reminds me of FIFAs ruling in the WC about single colour kits that ended up having Spain and Netherlands in away. These blanket rules will always put the cart before the horse and make issues where there should be none.

The single colour kits were not the issue, and they were not both in away.

Spain was the designated home team, and originally chose red.

Netherlands were the designated away team, and their away was dark blue.

It was considered that the red and dark blue wouldn't fly. For some reason, Spain was forced to change, instead of Netherlands coming up with a suitable third kit. The problem was that Spains second kit was black, which didn't fly against the dark blue. In the end it was Spain who were forced to have a third kit, despite being the home team for this fixture.

Spain I think hold the dubious record of playing a World Cup while never wearing the same shirt more than once

upload_2016-5-23_17-13-9.jpeg

spain-out1_2947136b.jpg

spain_2951953b.jpg

This isn't exactly new - WCE wore the royal wings at home on numerous occasions in the mid 2000s
St Kilda wore all white at home against Essendon at least twice as well

Why do so many people have an issue with this club? They say no to the cancer of pokies, keep a pretty low profile, and yet memes for Woolworths managers on here make them a joke. Honestly, what issues do you or anyone really have with the Kangaroos?

To let you know, Fremantle quite clearly also did this: see Grand Final 2013. I don't agree with it, but they did it.

Ultimately an all-white strip gives off the illusion of secondary status. The away team is the lesser team. Australians see a white jumper as a clash jumper, so how powerful is a clash strip every week really going to look? I don't have a massive issue with it at all. North are being forced to compromise their home jumper – white jumper, blue shorts, blue socks – for absolutely no reason at all. They have worn blue shorts as a primary choice since the 1970s at least and should be allowed to do it as much as possible. To disallow this is akin to the 'the oldest team shouldn't change' argument.'

North want to wear an uneven kit. The Swans also wear an uneven home jumper. You don't see the AFL mandating them to wear white shorts or socks, or the Giants to choose an orange short and sock combo.

Imagine if South Fremantle were made to wear white shorts at home every weekend. You're throwing out the basic, primary, historical image of the club. Fans don't wear the shorts in the stands, but the bottom half illustrates an important half of a complete playing uniform. Making someone cancel out tha 30 odd percent is a joke.

Rant over.

Why do so many people have an issue with this club? They say no to the cancer of pokies, keep a pretty low profile, and yet memes for Woolworths managers on here make them a joke. Honestly, what issues do you or anyone really have with the Kangaroos?

To let you know, Fremantle quite clearly also did this: see Grand Final 2013. I don't agree with it, but they did it.

Ultimately an all-white strip gives off the illusion of secondary status. The away team is the lesser team. Australians see a white jumper as a clash jumper, so how powerful is a clash strip every week really going to look? I don't have a massive issue with it at all. North are being forced to compromise their home jumper – white jumper, blue shorts, blue socks – for absolutely no reason at all. They have worn blue shorts as a primary choice since the 1970s at least and should be allowed to do it as much as possible. To disallow this is akin to the 'the oldest team shouldn't change' argument.'

North want to wear an uneven kit. The Swans also wear an uneven home jumper. You don't see the AFL mandating them to wear white shorts or socks, or the Giants to choose an orange short and sock combo.

Imagine if South Fremantle were made to wear white shorts at home every weekend. You're throwing out the basic, primary, historical image of the club. Fans don't wear the shorts in the stands, but the bottom half illustrates an important half of a complete playing uniform. Making someone cancel out tha 30 odd percent is a joke.

Rant over.

I have no issues with the Kangas, I've certainly mentioned them less times than you mention Woolworths managers!

I just think it'd strange that they would rather wear blue shorts at home than wear their jumper of 50+ years at home

I have no issues with the Kangas, I've certainly mentioned them less times than you mention Woolworths managers!

I just think it'd strange that they would rather wear blue shorts at home than wear their jumper of 50+ years at home
Nah be honest, you reckon they're s**t! I've heard it numerous times! The "what other club would do this?!" was a pointless dig. Quite clearly the Dockers did it, the Suns wear a clash jumper and never their home with white shorts when it could suffice, the Giants are increasingly like it too.

What if the Pies still wore white at home? Would you still be advocating the light top, light short rule?

If South Melbourne still existed as they were, would it be okay to make them remove red shorts?

An identity is not just a jumper. Stripping a club of what they want to wear is a bit unfair I say. Why should you be penalised for wearing white jumpers with coloured shorts, just because you probably chose that jumper base over the other through a cheaper price in the 50s or 60s? Imagine if this was brought in in the EPL and we had Arsenal in red shorts, Hammers in all maroon, City in all sky?

As someone said, in the World Cup Adidas did this and issues still presented. If a club has a clash with North in white then blue, then that club should do what it needs to get over it. The joke of a home club being devoid of even a small item of home advantage is just that. It basically disadvantages clubs for no reason whatsoever. 'Greater good' or whatever is ludicrous. Clubs bring out stupid third, fourth, and fifth jumpers all the time – if their two selections don't suit against the Roos, then they should change it themselves.

If they can request to play in their all blue strip and it gets approved against a blue team, surely they could request to just wear blue shorts with their home strip at home.

I also didn't see Gibbsy's comment as one specifically directed at North . Not so much a comment saying 'only north', rather just a comment about how clubs, you'd think, wouldn't prioritise shorts over jumpers.

I also didn't see Gibbsy's comment as one specifically directed at North . Not so much a comment saying 'only north', rather just a comment about how clubs, you'd think, wouldn't prioritise shorts over jumpers.

Yeah pretty much. It could easily have been reworded as "why would any club do this?" – not a dig at North but rather my disbelief at the situation.

What if the Pies still wore white at home? Would you still be advocating the light top, light short rule?
Yes

If South Melbourne still existed as they were, would it be okay to make them remove red shorts?
Yes. I don't think there are parallels with English football – or any overseas soccer leagues – because different coloured away strips are so dyed in the wool there. If the AFL wants to truly eliminate any 'clashes' in the game they'd make teams wear non-club colours (Cue Mero and the green Essendon clash jumper). It appears they don't mind half-hearted solutions therefore we are in the situation we are now.

So in the future there is, hypothetically, this: North gets to wear home jumper and home shorts but Carlton must wear all yellow clash alternative
OR: North gets to wear home jumper but wears light shorts, Carlton also gets to wear home jumper but wears dark shorts.

Shouldn't it be an objective to have clubs wearing their home jumpers wherever possible? This is obviously where we disagree but I just don't believe shorts to be as sacrosanct as the jumper. A good thread idea actually.

I just don't think it needs to be that complicated. Only when the shorts directly clash with the oppositions guernsey should they need to change.

North's shorts only clash with the Dogs. Wearing a white top with royal blue shorts is not going to create a clash in any other match this year.

Geelong's navy shorts only clash with Carlton and Collingwood (Dark/White combo).

Every other league in the world has a stricter away uniform rule, but shorts are often opposite to that of the top. It is just totally bizarre the AFL require North in all white but have no problem with them wearing all blue against the Blues.

Dumping the white shorts away rule would also be required to enhance contrast while also allowing the home team to wear full home kit.

Last edited:
North's shorts only clash with the Dogs. Wearing a white top with royal blue shorts is not going to create a clash in any other match this year.

Yeah exactly. I would have no issues with this:
4SYfTxQ.png
vs
Carlton_Special5_zpsfd1c4a9b.png

But the AFL does. For whatever reason they don't like coloured shorts vs coloured shorts unless they're red (that strange, weird colour that is supposedly neither dark nor light)

So if the AFL deem the above unsatisfactory, then I would much rather this:

H7L9nqX.png
vs
Carlton_Special5_zpsfd1c4a9b.png

than North getting to go full home strip but Carlton having to trot out in yellow or green or something ridiculous. And I reckon most footy fans would feel the same way. Imagine a grand final where the Blues became the Pinks because the home team didn't want to change their shorts colour?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back