Discussion North Melbourne's home jumper going forward

Remove this Banner Ad

My preference would be for North to retain their white base as the home jumper, but not necessarily in its current form.

The cut off middle stripe, the thinnish cuffs and the tiny back stripes make it really white and bland especially combined with white shorts.

They need to make some modifications before I'd hop back on the white bandwagon.

image.jpeg

I'll be honest i really like the royal blue kit.

Or, we should just leave the home kit as the white with blue stripes.
simples2(1)(1).jpg

I know there's a good chance I'll get kicked off the board for saying this but I really don't like the 90s kanga yoke. In fact I hate it. A lot.

I know there's a good chance I'll get kicked off the board for saying this but I really don't like the 90s kanga yoke. In fact I hate it. A lot.
I'm sort of with you on that, I don't hate it, but it's certainly not an all time great for mine. Also, no chance you'll get kicked off the board for simply stating an opinion.

2nd time this year North are wearing the royal blue kit in a home game. Then this from North's communications manager.

Is this an admission that they've made the switch officially?
Trust North to be so precious about the shorts. Has Eddie changed clubs now?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What was interesting to me today was that both in Adelaide and in the North game, was that a predominately dark kit was allowed to be matched against a predominately royal blue kit, without a white clash to be used. I don't think this would have been allowed in previous years.
West Coast have never worn their clash against any "dark" based team except Fremantle, Carlton, Essendon, Port, Richmond* etc. Has always been royal, the only other time the clash is worn is against the bulldogs and Brisbane away. Yesterday was as expected for me apart from the North full royal.

I'm not sure that North are really planning to switch their jumpers at this stage. It just sounds like they don't want to wear all white at nearly every home game, so they'll pick a few games to wear the blue jumper. If it also helps them sell a few more jumpers, then thats a bonus for them.

If there became a huge groundswell from their supporters to change, then I think they might look at it. But at this stage, I'd be surprised if they made the switch.

Must admit though, those tweets do sound like they're more concerned with their shorts than their jumper, which is a bizarre attitude to have IMO.

So are North going to pull a Collingwood and call it a marketing ploy?
No, they're having a sook.

Having said that there is no reason why you can't have Carlton/Port/Freo in full navy/black/purple or whatever vs North in white with Blue shorts. It's been done before so no reason why it can't happen. We've seen North in full home vs Hawthorn and Essendon in full home as well as North in full Royal vs Richmond, Brisbane and Hawthorn in their home kits.

No, they're having a sook.

Having said that there is no reason why you can't have Carlton/Port/Freo in full navy/black/purple or whatever vs North in white with Blue shorts. It's been done before so no reason why it can't happen. We've seen North in full home vs Hawthorn and Essendon in full home as well as North in full Royal vs Richmond, Brisbane and Hawthorn in their home kits.

This is the thing. North could easily wear their royal shorts in a lot more home games than they do. They've picked the wrong battle to have with the AFL. They're wearing a different jumper to keep the shorts, when they should just be telling the AFL to let them wear their home jumper and have both teams use home shorts and in a vast majority of cases it would be fine. Would reduce the "white shorts at home" to only 3-4 times a year.

The only games we're home shorts is a problem is North v Dogs and Cats v Blues and Pies. The rest of the games I reckon both teams can wear home shorts and it wouldn't be a problem at all.

Cats in white top with navy shorts is clearly not going to clash against a team like Essendon.

My preference would be for North to retain their white base as the home jumper, but not necessarily in its current form.

The cut off middle stripe, the thinnish cuffs and the tiny back stripes make it really white and bland especially combined with white shorts.

They need to make some modifications before I'd hop back on the white bandwagon.

View attachment 249307

I'll be honest i really like the royal blue kit.
This is a great post.

For all the slight differences and detail fascination, sometimes I think people can overlook why something looks wrong – the small makeup of an issue. For me, the current Roos home jumper just isn't very good. Canterbury are a good addition to the AFL but they'd be better suited to a club with chevron of yolks.

As you've pointed out, there's the modern thin collars and cuffs, but the current collar scoops so low it takes out a relatively notable chunk of material out of the jumper. So scratch off actual space to fill with club colours. Then there's the woefully weird low back stripes and then the numbers which still sit in the middle of the jumper and haven't been reverted higher – did the club miss the memo that names aren't coming in? I live in North Melbourne itself, and my mail always gets here on time...

I tried finding a photo but even back in the 2000s, you had big red sponsors on the back yet the jumper looked way more identifiable. With the modern obsession disregard for the unique and cool white short away rule, we're seeing North jumpers basically looking like a botch job. Players all wear their socks down too, so really, North Melbourne are in the unlucky situation of having a white home jumper. It genuinely just appears white. Not blue and white.

I also think there's an issue with fit. Back in the first days of polyester jumpers, we carried on with the 90s baggier fit. Only about six years ago did every single guy out there wear a tight jumper. So in 2004, we had more space – a bigger canvas – so the stripes didn't look too chucked on (I'll go on about this soon). We saw the move from the thick 50/50 stripes of the pre-1990s to the modern three stripe ubiquity. The stripes became smaller. But as the jumper was bigger and baggier, it still appeared notable. These days it seems the stripes are the same size (small) but the jumpers are smaller, so you really notice the base colour a lot more because the stripe colours seem lesser.

As pointed out on this forum by Smeagle once, about the Melbourne City home strips, Australians just see white as a clash jumper.

To be fair to North, no club wants that. No one wants a white home strip. Every team basically has a white away jumper so it carries no weight of identity.

They have been forced into a corner but they've also made an error with Canterbury.

I've long thought that stripes these days aren't the same as what we had in the days of cotton jumpers. It is default to just have a base colour with three stripes on top. Back in the day, the jumpers sort of appeared both 'blue and white' and 'white and blue' if you feel me. I've always wanted to see a club shake things up a bit and bring in thick, fat stripes. Hawthorn have the biggest at the moment and North probably the thinnest, but honestly, this is so overdue. Why don't we have these big stripes anymore?! Looks so much bolder.
maxresdefault.jpg

(I hate Malcolm Blight. The guy just looks like a ******* flog; an '80s Brendan Goddard – petulant, selfish, hungry, and completely obsessed with footy, no personality...)

When worn with white shorts, it doesn't dilute and weaken the overall jumper.
$_35.JPG

I think we'll probably see the royal worn a lot but not the default, go to home jumper. The Kangaroos are entitled to blue shorts and personally, contrary to thought on here, I think the home team should always be able to wear 100% what it wants. I guess a little bit of leeway is okay and probably acceptable but it should be a gentleman's agreement and not a rule enforced by the AFL. I don't think they're doing the right thing, and doing it against the Blues was ludicrously dumb (the Blues), but still, I guess they're making what they can out of a bad situation.

Their club is still fairly burnt by the naming fiasco 15 years ago, they really amp up 'North' (did anyone else think we never, ever heard this prior to about 2014? I swear commentators, the media, the club et al only ever called them the Kangaroos or North Melbourne. North is now the name. Weird), they don't like much kangaroo imagery, and I reckon their next emblem will be the old royal looking NMFC one – complete with full initialisation too.

Even if they do go full Hot Cross Bun, or Robodog, and introduce a new strip, it won't last forever. I was just thinking to myself, watching this Giants - Doggies game, about how crazy it is we're seeing so many home jumpers change. That's such a bold thing. And these 'boutique' clubs as we're apparently calling them now, they look reverting and playing off their history and the unique story it tells. If the Kangas are in royal for a few years, it'll just be for a few years.

FWIW I still don't see many of these royal jumpers. I'm sure it sells well but at games, it's still a pretty intense home jumper presence. I think the Bouncing Roo would sell way more and says much more about the club, and do they really even need a clash jumper considering how easy their home strip goes to a bonafide clash avoider?

PS North have the hottest fans. Never thought I'd say this, or think it, but they really really do. The girls love parading a jumper at a game too. Go you Hotham Kangaroos!

This is a great post.

For all the slight differences and detail fascination, sometimes I think people can overlook why something looks wrong – the small makeup of an issue. For me, the current Roos home jumper just isn't very good. Canterbury are a good addition to the AFL but they'd be better suited to a club with chevron of yolks.

As you've pointed out, there's the modern thin collars and cuffs, but the current collar scoops so low it takes out a relatively notable chunk of material out of the jumper. So scratch off actual space to fill with club colours. Then there's the woefully weird low back stripes and then the numbers which still sit in the middle of the jumper and haven't been reverted higher – did the club miss the memo that names aren't coming in? I live in North Melbourne itself, and my mail always gets here on time...

I tried finding a photo but even back in the 2000s, you had big red sponsors on the back yet the jumper looked way more identifiable. With the modern obsession disregard for the unique and cool white short away rule, we're seeing North jumpers basically looking like a botch job. Players all wear their socks down too, so really, North Melbourne are in the unlucky situation of having a white home jumper. It genuinely just appears white. Not blue and white.

I also think there's an issue with fit. Back in the first days of polyester jumpers, we carried on with the 90s baggier fit. Only about six years ago did every single guy out there wear a tight jumper. So in 2004, we had more space – a bigger canvas – so the stripes didn't look too chucked on (I'll go on about this soon). We saw the move from the thick 50/50 stripes of the pre-1990s to the modern three stripe ubiquity. The stripes became smaller. But as the jumper was bigger and baggier, it still appeared notable. These days it seems the stripes are the same size (small) but the jumpers are smaller, so you really notice the base colour a lot more because the stripe colours seem lesser.

As pointed out on this forum by Smeagle once, about the Melbourne City home strips, Australians just see white as a clash jumper.

To be fair to North, no club wants that. No one wants a white home strip. Every team basically has a white away jumper so it carries no weight of identity.

They have been forced into a corner but they've also made an error with Canterbury.

I've long thought that stripes these days aren't the same as what we had in the days of cotton jumpers. It is default to just have a base colour with three stripes on top. Back in the day, the jumpers sort of appeared both 'blue and white' and 'white and blue' if you feel me. I've always wanted to see a club shake things up a bit and bring in thick, fat stripes. Hawthorn have the biggest at the moment and North probably the thinnest, but honestly, this is so overdue. Why don't we have these big stripes anymore?! Looks so much bolder.
maxresdefault.jpg

(I hate Malcolm Blight. The guy just looks like a ******* flog; an '80s Brendan Goddard – petulant, selfish, hungry, and completely obsessed with footy, no personality...)

When worn with white shorts, it doesn't dilute and weaken the overall jumper.
$_35.JPG

I think we'll probably see the royal worn a lot but not the default, go to home jumper. The Kangaroos are entitled to blue shorts and personally, contrary to thought on here, I think the home team should always be able to wear 100% what it wants. I guess a little bit of leeway is okay and probably acceptable but it should be a gentleman's agreement and not a rule enforced by the AFL. I don't think they're doing the right thing, and doing it against the Blues was ludicrously dumb (the Blues), but still, I guess they're making what they can out of a bad situation.

Their club is still fairly burnt by the naming fiasco 15 years ago, they really amp up 'North' (did anyone else think we never, ever heard this prior to about 2014? I swear commentators, the media, the club et al only ever called them the Kangaroos or North Melbourne. North is now the name. Weird), they don't like much kangaroo imagery, and I reckon their next emblem will be the old royal looking NMFC one – complete with full initialisation too.

Even if they do go full Hot Cross Bun, or Robodog, and introduce a new strip, it won't last forever. I was just thinking to myself, watching this Giants - Doggies game, about how crazy it is we're seeing so many home jumpers change. That's such a bold thing. And these 'boutique' clubs as we're apparently calling them now, they look reverting and playing off their history and the unique story it tells. If the Kangas are in royal for a few years, it'll just be for a few years.

FWIW I still don't see many of these royal jumpers. I'm sure it sells well but at games, it's still a pretty intense home jumper presence. I think the Bouncing Roo would sell way more and says much more about the club, and do they really even need a clash jumper considering how easy their home strip goes to a bonafide clash avoider?

PS North have the hottest fans. Never thought I'd say this, or think it, but they really really do. The girls love parading a jumper at a game too. Go you Hotham Kangaroos!

It's the same scenario as your view with the pies clash strip.

With white collar and cuffs and the smaller stripes, it no longer resembles the traditional look.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back