#NORTHBOUND

Remove this Banner Ad

Whilst some of the newer clubs have changed their jumper, i'm unsure if many of the Victorian clubs have gone down this path. This maybe part of the reason why the change of the NM jumper is to some unpopular.
Yeah, nah. A number have changed to varying degrees. Bombers the least changed over time, Pies did what we've just done. Others have made a number of changes over time, though most less so in recent years. This site is good for seeing all the various changes to all clubs' jumpers over time. http://www.bomberblitz.com/mero/clubs.htm Dogs, Dees and Saints the most variable. I think this change, for us, stands out as it is probably the biggest change since the initial V design, and the removal of side stripes which Arden refers to.

the initial V design, and the removal of side stripes which Arden refers to

And don't forget that we were forced into the V design. We had been in stripes since well before Collingwood were founded but had to avoid the supposed clash on our entry to the VFL.

Dogs changed theirs but are now back in what people would consider their traditional guernsey. And St Kilda changed their colours so as not to look like the German flag during WW1.

The AFL want every team to have a 'light' and 'dark' strip.to reduce the chance of clashes. It is up to the club to select their home jumper but if it is the 'light' one then you cop the light shorts. This unfortunately didn't work in our favour.
Is this the same AFL that is run by this Twit? :stern look
IMG_0396.JPG

Sorry mate, just to go back to this. You've named 80 years as being significant, but 40 years isn't seen the same way. Where is the line when it comes to 'unchangeable tradition'? I'm being somewhat rhetorical, of course, because it serves to highlight, to me, the particularly subjective nature of 'traditional values'.
Nothing to be sorry about Kimbo. Actually, I'm sorry because I wasn't specific. The logo which first appeared in 76 was actually the VFL logo. By 77 we also had a sponsor logo on the other breast. 1990 the vfl logo changed to AFL. My 1996 North Guernsey still does not have any North logo or reference - only afl and hypertech pc sponsors logo. Actually the club logo wasn't added until 2009!
Our recognisable home jumper stripes have been worn from 1933 until a couple of days ago (and also between 1886 and 1907).
So, the North logo isn't comparatively 'traditional' imho, notwithstanding its changes along the way.
Long story short, I think tradition needs to be upheld. Once its starts being altered, it can appear to be 'watered down' thereby eventually losing the power history can provide us (especially through the tough times)

Long story short, I think tradition needs to be upheld. Once its starts being altered, it can appear to be 'watered down' thereby eventually losing the power history can provide us (especially through the tough times)
Fair enough. For the most part, tradition has held relatively little value to me as a principle. 'Fit for purpose' or contemporary relevance is probably closer to the mark for me. So, if novelty and aesthetics do that better, fine.

Our recognisable home jumper stripes have been worn from 1933 until a couple of days ago (and also between 1886 and 1907).

The blue/white stripes have changed many times over the years with pinstriping, width, amount etc. The site Kimbo refers to is an excellent reference to confirm that.

They are still blue and white stripes as per tradition, just now more blue than white. I don't see the massive change people are talking about, considering how many other changes have been made to the home jumper over the years.

Fair enough. For the most part, tradition has held relatively little value to me as a principle. 'Fit for purpose' or contemporary relevance is probably closer to the mark for me. So, if novelty and aesthetics do that better, fine.
Its good to know your pov Kimbo. Clearly you are a huge fan (like me and most on this board), so its good to get your perspective.
Generally I think footy clubs are hugely traditional and I love that. The one obvious danger with too much tradition is that we can spend too much time looking back and premierships can only be won looking forward.
I love tradition but its good to have balance too

The blue/white stripes have changed many times over the years with pinstriping, width, amount etc. The site Kimbo refers to is an excellent reference to confirm that.

They are still blue and white stripes as per tradition, just now more blue than white. I don't see the massive change people are talking about, considering how many other changes have been made to the home jumper over the years.
The changes have been there but are minor, IMHO still instantly recognisable as North Melbourne.
If you asked an old timer when first seeing this new Guernsey who it represents, I think they might have a second or third look before giving an answer.

Come on Kimbos, I know you are from Western Australia but I didn't expect you to speak like a franchise supporter.

A 147 year old club shouldn't change its guernsey for something that 'looks better' or we might sell more of. Love the club, love the jumper. Shall we trade up on our wives/husbands for someone who looks better? Hell, if we are going down the road of aesthetics, I believe that Fitzroy's strip was the best looking of all time, so why not adopt that?

Our guernsey is our visual representation of our club, you don't just change that. I know that the blue jumper was JB's idea and pet and it appears that this is his parting gift. Very Eddie like move, who changed Collingwood's jumper almost as soon as he was in office. Seems like these kind of people need some sort of signature move, to create a legacy.

What we should be doing is getting into the faces of the AFL and demanding to wear our full home kit in OUR home games. Showing them that blue shorts don't create a clash against half the teams we aren't allowed to wear them against. The other thing we need to do is to go back to the roots of our home guernsey. For whatever reason, it has become far more white in recent times. Thinner stripes, cut off stripes, thinner cuffs and collars, lower stripes on the back, creating more white space. This in turn makes the white shorts stand out ever further. Get some blue on the white shorts, like Carlton have done.

We have contributed to this mess ourselves. But to prioritise the colour of our shorts over our home guernsey is weak. Blue shorts aren't even traditional, we have been wearing white shorts in games far longer than we have been wearing blue.
Very well argued Hardon. I couldn't agree more. And on your point about how our blue shorts don't create a clash with opposition teams wearing white shorts but with a darker guernsey have a look at the following snaps. :stern look

71fac20f53e09f66b6da9332d0051f77.jpg Daniel-Wells-North-Melbourne-AFL-2014.jpg North-Melbourne-Kangaroos-vs-Adelaide-Crows-Live.jpg north_melbourne_v_hawthorn_grand_final_mcg_1978.jpg Tigers7_gallery__470x274.jpg 1015338.jpg

So yeah for this rot about being "Never Beaten", turn it up North Admin. You have rolled over big time on this issue. Should be pushing strong and hard about wearing blue shorts for our home games with our Traditional Strip as opposed to changing our great guernsey. Grow a set Buckley. :stern look

our blue shorts don't create a clash with opposition teams wearing white shorts but with a darker guernsey have a look at the following snaps. :stern look

Of course they don't clash, but unfortunately the AFL disagrees with us.

Until the AFL changes its (rubbery/inconsistent) policy regarding 'light/dark' it's irrelevant bringing up photos of the past.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Of course they don't clash, but unfortunately the AFL disagrees with us.

Until the AFL changes its (rubbery/inconsistent) policy regarding 'light/dark' it's irrelevant bringing up photos of the past.
You fight to change the policy. Yah don't go changing your traditional strip because of the policy. Did we fight? Never beaten hey? What a load of s**t! :stern look

You fight to change the policy. Yah don't go changing your traditional strip because of the policy. Did we fight? Never beaten hey? What a load of s**t! :stern look

How do you know we didn't fight?

I'd like to think we have over recent years, but due to AFL policy we have now reverted to plan B as plan A is not an option (with plan C being the away strip for home games as we've been forced to wear far too often)

The catchwords we came up with are cringe-worthy, no argument from me there.

How do you know we didn't fight?

I'd like to think we have over recent years, but due to AFL policy we have now reverted to plan B as plan A is not an option (with plan C being the away strip for home games as we've been forced to wear far too often)

The catchwords we came up with are cringe-worthy, no argument from me there.
Did we take it to the media? What sort of fight did we put up? C'mon Viper lets be honest here ye. Brayshaws and his Bhoys Club Board didn't push the AFL hard at all on this. :stern look #neverbeaten

15037118_10157726924120029_4295910358859075532_n.jpg

The blue strip looks good against geelong but i was starting to hate it after seeing it more than a couple of times a season last season. It just looks unnatural to me. Would have preferred the 90s strip if we were going to change

The blue strip looks good against geelong but i was starting to hate it after seeing it more than a couple of times a season last season. It just looks unnatural to me. Would have preferred the 90s strip if we were going to change
We shouldn't be changing. But sadly there are some Twits within the club that are weak minded. So much for being #neverbeaten. :stern look

While some may not like our new home guernsey, at least be appreciative of how well it compares to Geelong's new clash strip.

Geelong poster said:
It's like a Fremantle guernsey had sex with a Carlton guernsey and produced a bastard offspring with the worst features of both.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back