2nds Northern Blues 2016

Remove this Banner Ad

That pass from DVR into the forward pocket was absolute silk

Players like Boekhorst and DVR need a little space to shine.
If we haven't got guys, other than Cripps, to get the ball into their hands, their output will be diminished.

Would love a Boekhorst Cripps DVR centreline with at least one 'Dylan Shiel' thrown into the mix.

Cuningham has been thrown straight into the centre the past couple of weeks and this guy does have speed, although speed on its own means nothing if you can't position yourself well at stoppages. I don't think he's been playing here by mistake and will have to learn on the run how to get first hands on the ball to become a real weapon.

The slowest of inside mids can look quick when they get first hands on the ball and transfer it quickly to a running player. That's when the likes of Boekhorst come into their own.

BTW: DVR has mostly been playing off a wing in the past couple of games, as you wouldn't mind the ball in his hands after a centre extraction.
If Whiley doesn't present what he had through the pre-season, we may just be wanting a ball winning inside mid, first and foremost come years end.

Our close in handball work isn't great is it.?

I'm not sure but I think our side of the 90's started the slick inside to outside movement. Ratts and Williams to Bradley and Campo etc. but even guys like Clape and Dean could work the ball through slick handball in congestion. I watch that with the Hawks and Swans and wonder who's teaching those skills to our guys or even if it can be taught.

Holy crapola. I know everyone looks like a champion in highlights, but wow...

* spectacular marking by Jones. And many pack marks too, with hands outstretched, not dinky falling away chest marks. Not just his goals but a couple of big marks on the flank and then big I50s.

* quick ball movement as a team

* nice kicking from Jaksch

* kerbatieh looks lively around goals

* Smith was really motoring and showed good pressure

* saw the big mark by Korchek at the top of the square but not the follow up goal... He missed? :eek:

That roost in the second by KJ... wow.

And Jones was flying and grabbing great marks... And if he didn't, he brought it to ground and the smaller players (and Gorringe) could swoop on the ball.

Holy crapola. I know everyone looks like a champion in highlights, but wow...

* saw the big mark by Korchek at the top of the square but not the follow up goal... He missed? :eek:

Ummmm......well.....yes.....Korchek missed that kick on goal.
There was another contested mark on the wing that I thought was better.

To balance things out, the lowlights were ordinary with some terrible turnovers but the effort was there all game.

I love how people are calling Korcheks mark big haha it wasn't even contested...just got the timing right for once.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Players like Boekhorst and DVR need a little space to shine.
If we haven't got guys, other than Cripps, to get the ball into their hands, their output will be diminished.

Would love a Boekhorst Cripps DVR centreline with at least one 'Dylan Shiel' thrown into the mix.

We need more mids who are both inside AND outside like Shiel as you mention...and Treloar, Hanneberry etc these types of mids.
Our current mids are too much either one or the other.

We need more mids who are both inside AND outside like Shiel as you mention...and Treloar, Hanneberry etc these types of mids.
Our current mids are too much either one or the other.
Sheil showed the difference 3 or so years ago when he played a tagging role on Murphy and just out muscled and out bodied him all game.

Murph can be outside and be really effective in that role but yes, he's not Hannebery, Parker, Sheil.

As much as I don't like it...looks like we need to give Jones a chance back in the seniors.
Sigh

Agreed

Cmon guys...we should be congratulating him as he's obviously put in a lot of effort this year.
It's obviously a good thing that we have players in the 2s playing well and putting pressure on the guys in the senior team.

Jones was a bit off in the pre-season with his marking but the effort and defensive pressure was there...lets give this 'new' Liam Jones playing in a new gameplan a chance.

He is still young so if somehow he has managed to turn his career around and starts playing well in the seniors we may catch a lucky break and have a key forward spot locked in.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

On another note, i would love to see some of our small forwards snap some goals like Bansgrove did in that highlights package...off hands crumb and immediate snap and goal...no one in our senior team does this since Betts and Garlett left.

Get what you mean but not the right attitude to take it with IMO, got to give Liam the benefit of the doubt to turn things around. He's doing all he can by the looks.

Cmon guys...we should be congratulating him as he's obviously put in a lot of effort this year.
It's obviously a good thing that we have players in the 2s playing well and putting pressure on the guys in the senior team.

Jones was a bit off in the pre-season with his marking but the effort and defensive pressure was there...lets give this 'new' Liam Jones playing in a new gameplan a chance.

He is still young so if somehow he has managed to turn his career around and starts playing well in the seniors we may catch a lucky break and have a key forward spot locked in.
I hear what you guys are saying but he has let me down a lot. His NAB form was terrible and I just don't know if he has what it takes to make the leap from VFL to AFL. I think it says a lot about our forward line if I'm seriously feeling Jones should be given another shot.

I hear what you guys are saying but he has let me down a lot. His NAB form was terrible and I just don't know if he has what it takes to make the leap from VFL to AFL. I think it says a lot about our forward line if I'm seriously feeling Jones should be given another shot.

I think that's just it though; our forward line is far and away the worst in the league. It is putrid. The least we can do is cycle some guys through there. If Liam can get 10 touches and a goal a game he is still beneficial to the way the team is currently geared. He showed great effort in the preseason despite not sticking his marks, and needs to be justly rewarded.

I love how people are calling Korcheks mark big haha it wasn't even contested...just got the timing right for once.

Well, you didn't see his contested mark did you?
I put forward the point previously that he does judge the ball in flight well..... Just don't rank about his kicking though :)

I think that's just it though; our forward line is far and away the worst in the league. It is putrid. The least we can do is cycle some guys through there. If Liam can get 10 touches and a goal a game he is still beneficial to the way the team is currently geared. He showed great effort in the preseason despite not sticking his marks, and needs to be justly rewarded.
That's what I'm saying.

Understand that too. It certainly says a lot about our forward line but we all know that our forward line is poor.

We're not going to play finals this year its all about development so no harm at all giving Jones another chance and seeing what he can do.

Well, you didn't see his contested mark did you?
I put forward the point previously that he does judge the ball in flight well..... Just don't rank about his kicking though :)
Isn't that one mark of his in the highlight package it?

No other player even attempted to spoil it. Marked on his own in the end.

As much as I don't like it...looks like we need to give Jones a chance back in the seniors.

4095fc068ce7012ee07baf11a8ef3a0f.jpg

Remove this Banner Ad

Back