North's B&F Medal is named after an Essendon Cheat and I'm uncomfortable

Remove this Banner Ad

Hello Bay,

As your historian I feel it my duty to bring you some disturbing news.

The North Best and Fairest is named after an Essendon "Champion" named Syd Barker Snr, shown here in his famous Essendon playing jumper:

His VFL Career reads as follows:

1908: 2 games for Richmond
1921-1924: 57 games Essendon
1927: 9 games for North Melbourne (coached 18 games for 3 wins)

Now for some reason Essendon seems to claim Premierships in Syd's 1923 and 1924 seasons in what can only be described as pure farce. He was the captain those years so deserves Jobe-like scrutiny.

1923: Essendon play 2 finals, lose one and win the other yet somehow were awarded a premiership by a clearly corrupt VFL board (Fitzroy win two finals that year). Oh, and the Grand Final was the lowest attendance of all finals so clearly the fans voted with their feet.

1924: No Grand Final is played that year, and Essendon lost the Footscray in the Champions of Victoria trophy, yet still claim it as a "premiership" with an asterisk as big as 1993 or 2000 when whichever teams that 'won' the flag that year were over the salary cap.

So clearly he's a cheat, yet for some baffling reason North Melbourne couldn't find anyone better to name their B&F after. Oh dear.

I think the North B&F should be named "The Trent from Punchbowl Medal"

hqdefault.jpg

norf guy2.PNG

Should be named after this bloke for rooting his hot as heck missus online wearing his Norf kit. :eek::thumbsu:

Simple mathematics here:

Born: 26 November 1887, Collingwood, Melbourne
Died: 23 March 1930, Abbotsford, Melbourne

1908: 2 games for Richmond...He was 21 at the time
1921-1924: 57 games Essendon...He was 34 to 37 here
1927: 9 games for North Melbourne (coached 18 games for 3 wins)...He was 40 here and like these days he was finally old enough to be recruited by Norf.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hello Bay,

As your historian I feel it my duty to bring you some disturbing news.

The North Best and Fairest is named after an Essendon "Champion" named Syd Barker Snr, shown here in his famous Essendon playing jumper:

His VFL Career reads as follows:

1908: 2 games for Richmond
1921-1924: 57 games Essendon
1927: 9 games for North Melbourne (coached 18 games for 3 wins)

Now for some reason Essendon seems to claim Premierships in Syd's 1923 and 1924 seasons in what can only be described as pure farce. He was the captain those years so deserves Jobe-like scrutiny.

1923: Essendon play 2 finals, lose one and win the other yet somehow were awarded a premiership by a clearly corrupt VFL board (Fitzroy win two finals that year). Oh, and the Grand Final was the lowest attendance of all finals so clearly the fans voted with their feet.

1924: No Grand Final is played that year, and Essendon lost the Footscray in the Champions of Victoria trophy, yet still claim it as a "premiership" with an asterisk as big as 1993 or 2000 when whichever teams that 'won' the flag that year were over the salary cap.

So clearly he's a cheat, yet for some baffling reason North Melbourne couldn't find anyone better to name their B&F after. Oh dear.

These foundation clubs just pluck premierships out of thin air, consensus awarded flags should be struck off.

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

Remove this Banner Ad

Back