NRL NRL 2023 - Round 23

Remove this Banner Ad

Thursday 3rd August
Sydney Roosters vs Manly-Warringah (Sydney Cricket Ground - 19:50)

Friday 4th August
Gold Coast vs New Zealand (Cbus Super Stadium - 18:00)
Penrith vs Melbourne (BlueBet Stadium - 20:00)

Saturday 5th August
North Queensland vs Brisbane (Queensland Country Bank Stadium - 15:00)
Dolphins vs Newcastle (Optus Stadium, Perth - 17:30)
South Sydney vs Cronulla-Sutherland (Optus Stadium, Perth - 19:35)

Sunday 6th August
Parramatta vs St.George-Illawarra (CommBank Stadium - 14:00)
Canberra vs Wests Tigers (GIO Stadium - 16:05)

Bye: Canterbury-Bankstown

Last edited:
Pentrith, Brisbane, NZ "should" all be there in the semi final. Clear standout teams. The fourth team could be anyone like Melbourne, Nth Qld, Souths, Canberra, Parramatta, Cronulla.

Can only see Panthers, Broncos, Warriors winning the title. But a team like Souths could easily suddenly click into gear and make a deep run, beat one of those three. Can't count out Storm either I guess. Nth Qld a smokie.

Pentrith, Brisbane, NZ "should" all be there in the semi final. Clear standout teams. The fourth team could be anyone like Melbourne, Nth Qld, Souths, Canberra, Parramatta, Cronulla.

Can only see Panthers, Broncos, Warriors winning the title. But a team like Souths could easily suddenly click into gear and make a deep run, beat one of those three. Can't count out Storm either I guess. Nth Qld a smokie.
It'll be Penrith but Brisbane the only one that can realistically challenge I think.

Assuming Newcastle make the 8, 2 of the teams highlighted won't even make finals.

Why so few giving the Warriors a legit shot? Also friends in real life scoff at their chances. Why? What am I missing?
I don't give anyone a chance outside of Penrith tbh.

But, think once they have to play a prelim in Sydney or Brisbane, they'll struggle.

Just don't know they've got the top end that the other two teams do.

Why so few giving the Warriors a legit shot? Also friends in real life scoff at their chances. Why? What am I missing?
Probably need to finish second as that would mean if they win the qualifying final, they're in NZ longer avoiding the frustrations of the travel. Plus, if both they and Penrith (who I'm assuming will be first) win in the first week of finals, they wouldn't meet until the grandy.

Penrith are surely not as good as they were last season, but they are still considered unbeatable? I was just looking at the table; can't believe Newcastle and Canberra are in the eight. Neither are good sides. And if there's a "Never write off the ...." team in the NRL, it's surely the Storm.

Penrith are surely not as good as they were last season, but they are still considered unbeatable? I was just looking at the table; can't believe Newcastle and Canberra are in the eight. Neither are good sides. And if there's a "Never write off the ...." team in the NRL, it's surely the Storm.
Wrong on most accounts there.

Penrith are 120 points better defensively than the next closest team. Not to the last placed team, to the second best team. They've conceded over 20 points twice (27 to the Cowboys, 20 to the Rabbitohs) this season.

Penrith are rightfully heavy favs to win the competition, they're a long way ahead.

Newcastle and Canberra won't make a prelim but they've also been a hell of a lot more consistent than a Parramatta/Roosters etc. They deserve their places in the 8.

The Storm are going nowhere this year. They were just pantsed again by the Panthers where they barely fired a shot at them.

I'm not saying the Panthers aren't the best team in the comp right now; their position on the ladder speaks for itself. I'm saying they don't look as strong, relative to the rest, as last season. I hold to that view.

Having enjoyed watching the Sharks frequently managing to pass their way through Souths' defence, I wondered, which teams pass the most? I figured the Sharks and Penrith would be right up there, and thanks to Fox Sports' admirably detailed stats page, I could check, and sure enough, Penrith top on that measure, and the Sharks third. And no surprise to me to see the Raiders at the bottom of the pile. Tigers second from top, and Dolphins second from bottom, was a bit of a surprise, though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back