NRL NRL 2023 - Round 23

Remove this Banner Ad

Thursday 3rd August
Sydney Roosters vs Manly-Warringah (Sydney Cricket Ground - 19:50)

Friday 4th August
Gold Coast vs New Zealand (Cbus Super Stadium - 18:00)
Penrith vs Melbourne (BlueBet Stadium - 20:00)

Saturday 5th August
North Queensland vs Brisbane (Queensland Country Bank Stadium - 15:00)
Dolphins vs Newcastle (Optus Stadium, Perth - 17:30)
South Sydney vs Cronulla-Sutherland (Optus Stadium, Perth - 19:35)

Sunday 6th August
Parramatta vs St.George-Illawarra (CommBank Stadium - 14:00)
Canberra vs Wests Tigers (GIO Stadium - 16:05)

Bye: Canterbury-Bankstown

Last edited:

Things I'll never understand, entry 804:
- Brining league games to wonderful Western Australia and playing them at Optus.

Origin fine, I get it, big crowd so capacity important. But home and away games should be in a rectangular venue and HBF Park is fantastic (it's a FIFA world cup venue, ffs!).

Things I'll never understand, entry 804:
- Brining league games to wonderful Western Australia and playing them at Optus.

Origin fine, I get it, big crowd so capacity important. But home and away games should be in a rectangular venue and HBF Park is fantastic (it's a FIFA world cup venue, ffs!).
You just answered your own question.

Don't think they're allowed to use the World Cup stadiums currently.

You just answered your own question.

Don't think they're allowed to use the World Cup stadiums currently.
Understand that but they didn't have to schedule the matches for this time of the season.

Luai was lucky, but tackles like that are still too common. The red in the Warriors game was justified; isn't that precisely the kind of tackle we want to see out of the game?

I remember years ago, I used to complain "What the hell do you have to do to get sent off in the NRL?" when the gap between red cards was measured in years, but in recent times refs have shown a bit of spine, and rightly so.

Luai was lucky, but tackles like that are still too common. The red in the Warriors game was justified; isn't that precisely the kind of tackle we want to see out of the game?

I remember years ago, I used to complain "What the hell do you have to do to get sent off in the NRL?" when the gap between red cards was measured in years, but in recent times refs have shown a bit of spine, and rightly so.

2 sent off and 2 stay on the field all for the same offense. The Luai high shot far and away the worst. The NRL and its refs, not to mention the bunker, have always been inconsistent in their rulings. By continuing to do so, they'll be an easy target for court cases later on.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't know if Luai was worse than Fotuaika, but in both cases, as I recall, it's jumping in the air, feet off the ground, and direct contact of shoulder with the head. Luai could surely still be in trouble with the MRC.

SJ is still some player, though, isn't he? It's great to see hm looking to really enjoy his footy again. And Jayden Campbell, what is he like? As they said in commentary, if he can't get an 80 minute gig in the comp, then surely something is wrong! :)

Deja vu, we beat the Rabbitohs a couple of years back in a close game with Burgess being sent off with a dog shot late.

It should've been a grandstand finish to that match had Souths not kept dropping the ball cold.

It should've been a grandstand finish to that match had Souths not kept dropping the ball cold.

Would have been an unjust result no matter how much the Latrell fan club wanted it to happen.

But when your 26 points down you’d have to get everything perfect and the fact they were crap for 60 minutes made it highly unlikely they could be perfect for the last 20.

Just glad one of Latrells 10m forward passes went out as the touchies sure weren’t calling them forward.

Wighton throws a ball Tom Brady would’ve be proud of and it’s let go for a try.
Some teams have no luck at all

Wighton throws a ball Tom Brady would’ve be proud of and it’s let go for a try.
Some teams have no luck at all

Today's game was the most atrocious display of refereeing - ref, linos and bunker - I've seen in a long time. Refereeing appears broken in the NRL, I'm not sure if they don't know the rules, or if they don't like the rules and sometimes just go rogue. The Raiders scored 2 and were denied 1 on shocking calls today, and the Tigers scored 1 and were maybe denied 1 by crap refereeing.

Nothing more frustrating than having one team score one or more tries from forward passes ... let alone while your team has one or more tries denied for forward passes.

It got to the point today where I was convinced he was trying to square up his shitty calls, but he lost count so just kept making howlers.

Never been fully convinced by the Rabbitohs this season, they can look very good at times, but it was no great surprise to me that if the Sharks woke from their recent slumber, they could cause them problems. Latrell or no Latrell. Raiders game was indeed joke refereeing. I think the Raiders must be the worst watch in the comp; as the local commentator here on Wigan games puts it, they are "bowling-shoe ugly"! :D For me, Parramatta also fall into the 'not that great this season' category. Struggling to get past the Dragons, FFS!

QLD derby was a cracking contest.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back