NRL NRL 2024 - Round 9

Remove this Banner Ad

Tipping!

Thursday 2nd May
South Sydney vs Penrith (Accor Stadium - 19:50)

Friday 3rd May
Manly-Warringah vs Canberra (4 Pines Park - 18:00)
Brisbane vs Sydney Roosters (Suncorp Stadium - 20:00)

Saturday 4th May
Canterbury-Bankstown vs Wests Tigers (Accor Stadium - 15:00)
Gold Coast vs Melbourne (Cbus Super Stadium - 17:30)
North Queensland vs Dolphins (Queensland Country Bank Stadium - 19:35)

Sunday 5th May
Newcastle vs New Zealand (McDonald Jones Stadium - 14:00)
St.George-Illawarravs vs Cronulla-Sutherland (PointsBet Stadium - 16:05)

Bye: Parramatta

Last edited:
Yeh again im not just speaking about last night though.

They were never beating Penrith, likely with a full strength list.

Im talking the whole season, theyve won one game and were tipped as top 4, theyve had unavailability to varying degrees the whole season but frankly every team has that.
I think JD has a lot to answer for in that regard.

What will be interesting to see is how Hornby gets them playing from now.

More importantly, is getting Wayne in on a 3 year deal actually a good play?

I think JD has a lot to answer for in that regard.

What will be interesting to see is how Hornby gets them playing from now.

More importantly, is getting Wayne in on a 3 year deal actually a good play?
It feels alot like Clarkos appointment at north to me (which i thought was a s**t choice at the time).

Having said that Bennet would be getting an actually good current list to work with so who knows.

I continue to see Bennett as a bit of a Wizard of Oz (cinematically rather than geographically :) ). When did he last do anything great?

It feels alot like Clarkos appointment at north to me (which i thought was a s**t choice at the time).

Having said that Bennet would be getting an actually good current list to work with so who knows.
Is it actually a good list?

Cook is 32, Walker is 34, Wighton is 31, Burgess is 32, AJ is 29. Latrell seems just as likely to walk away from the game as he is to actually commit.

Souths list is severely overrated for some reason. They're almost all on the way down.

Is it actually a good list?

Cook is 32, Walker is 34, Wighton is 31, Burgess is 32, AJ is 29. Latrell seems just as likely to walk away from the game as he is to actually commit.

Souths list is severely overrated for some reason. They're almost all on the way down.
I think coming into this season the list was rated pretty highly and correctly so.

Arguably the best player in the game a FB, a very very good (former Dally M) in the centers to partner the biggest try scorer in the game. State of origin and internationals all over the place (especially in critical play making positions).

This season every single one of them has diminished the reputations massively. Now the big question IMO is regarding whether those guys have all gone backwards as much as it seems they have or is there something else thats happened here.

The team on paper is unquestionably good if all of those guys are near their best, why arent any of them playing like that, thats the query.

I think coming into this season the list was rated pretty highly and correctly so.

Arguably the best player in the game a FB, a very very good (former Dally M) in the centers to partner the biggest try scorer in the game. State of origin and internationals all over the place (especially in critical play making positions).

This season every single one of them has diminished the reputations massively. Now the big question IMO is regarding whether those guys have all gone backwards as much as it seems they have or is there something else thats happened here.

The team on paper is unquestionably good if all of those guys are near their best, why arent any of them playing like that, thats the query.
I think everyone was looking at them fancifully. They absolutely sucked for 12+ weeks last season. This season isn't an aberration, it's the norm for them in recent times.

I honestly think it's as simple as they're all older and they're falling off the cliff together. Latrell is different obviously but he's always been aloof. With the form of the others going, it doesn't surprise me at all that his game has completely fallen off the tracks.

Put it this way, I'd be staggered if you see them in the top 8 again with Latrell/Walker/Cook in their spine.

I continue to see Bennett as a bit of a Wizard of Oz (cinematically rather than geographically :) ). When did he last do anything great?
last premiership glory was dragons 2010.
since then only 2 losing grand finals in 2015 and 2021

Then I rest my case! :p Obviously my view is coloured by his regrettable, and fortunately fairly brief, period as England coach. But beyond that, although he was obviously been a defining figure in coaching in the game, in recent years, it's seemed to me, he has either inherited already very strong sides, or failed to improve more mediocre clubs.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Let me get this straight

Tago takes the fullback (Gray) out for 6weeks plus and gets a 1 week suspension. Penrith are fortunate with these charges

Is this a reference to the ‘hip drop’?

That was a joke mate. Shouldn’t have even been charged. The league and its fans need to stop needing a scapegoat for every injury in a sport that causes them habitually.

Felt for Brisbane a little last night but f**k the coverage was frustrating.

Yes ok they lost two players in the game.

I didn’t even realise Smith had been injured for us such was the lack of commentary on it and he missed three quarters of the game. We were also without Radley, probably our best player this year, Tupou, Billy Smith who is probably the logical three-quarter-line replacement for him, JWH, and still no Leniu. We didn’t get a penalty for the first 55 minutes of the game and STILL broncos fans managed to find a whinge on social media - and one of their tries came from a pass that went a few metres forward. For half an hour after the game the discussion centred entirely on the Brisbane side. It was bizarre.

I’ll stand by this until I see evidence otherwise: as talented as the likes of Walsh and Mam etc are, their whole team relies almost solely on Haas. Contain Haas - and we did last night - and you beat Brisbane.

Is this a reference to the ‘hip drop’?

That was a joke mate. Shouldn’t have even been charged. The league and its fans need to stop needing a scapegoat for every injury in a sport that causes them habitually.

It was a textbook hip drop and it’s typical of the nrl going soft

It was a textbook hip drop and it’s typical of the nrl going soft

No it wasn’t. A text book hip drop is when a player creates their own momentum to try and drop onto the back of a runner’s legs.

Tago tried to tackle a runner and ended up there. Stop looking for reasons to punish guys for things they have no control over

If this ref gets another game then the NRL is proving she is nothing more than a diversity hire. I haven't seen a worse display by any official in any sport.

I don’t have a stake in that game - I don’t hate or like either team or have money on it or anything. My only thoughts listening to the commentators flogging about the Dogs’ line speed getting in the Tigers’ face was that it is made easier to do that when you are perpetually offside which was fairly noticeable in the final 20 minutes. That alone was an awful element to the officiating let alone all the other disgraceful impact

I don’t have a stake in that game - I don’t hate or like either team or have money on it or anything. My only thoughts listening to the commentators flogging about the Dogs’ line speed getting in the Tigers’ face was that it is made easier to do that when you are perpetually offside which was fairly noticeable in the final 20 minutes. That alone was an awful element to the officiating let alone all the other disgraceful impact

Ennis was the co-commentator so he is hardly going to call out the Dogs for being offside consistently.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back