NRL NRL 2024 - Round 1

Remove this Banner Ad

Tipping!

Sunday 3rd March
Manly-Warringah vs South Sydney (Allegiant Stadium, Las Vegas - 13:30)
Sydney Roosters vs Brisbane (Allegiant Stadium, Las Vegas - 15:30)

Thursday 7thd March
Newcastle vs Canberra (McDonald Jones Stadium - 20:00)

Friday 8th March
New Zealand vs Cronulla-Sutherland (Go Media Stadium - 18:00)
Melbourne vs Penrith (AAMI Park - 20:05)

Saturday 9th March
Parramatta vs Canterbury-Bankstown (CommBank Stadium - 17:30)
Gold Coast vs St.George-Illawarra (Cbus Super Stadium - 19:35)

Sunday 10th March
Dolphins vs North Queensland (Suncorp Stadium - 14:00)

Bye:
Wests Tigers

I hate us going over there, complete waste of time, least we aren't giving up a home game. Hopefully this "idea" only lasts a season or two before it's canned. All for growing the game, but I'd rather do it to an area that is realistic. NO fan of the NFL will become a RL fan so what is the point. More sense taking a game to PNG for instance, or Auckland (I'd be all for these two options). Personally I don't see the point and the NRL bleats about player welfare but isn't doing enough to protect players early in the season. Better not be injuries playing on US turf (ask NFL fans what they think of the turf lol).
Allegiant uses natural grass, not turf. That won't be an issue.

Allegiant uses natural grass, not turf. That won't be an issue.

Point remains about the injuries, it better not happen otherwise fans will rightfully lose their marbles. Getting injuries (regardless of the team) when you aren't used to the grass is an issue. I'd feel for whoever team that is, even the Roosters. Could not care about the result, just no injuries please.

Point remains about the injuries, it better not happen otherwise fans will rightfully lose their marbles. Getting injuries (regardless of the team) when you aren't used to the grass is an issue. I'd feel for whoever team that is, even the Roosters. Could not care about the result, just no injuries please.
This point makes zero sense.

The grass is essentially the same they play on over here. Any injury that comes from playing over there, could equally have occurred in a game here.

This point makes zero sense.

The grass is essentially the same they play on over here. Any injury that comes from playing over there, could equally have occurred in a game here.

Essentially is not the exact same not when you don’t train and play on it all season.

Least we’ll only have 2 years of this idea by Vlandys that’s a positive lol

Essentially is not the exact same not when you don’t train and play on it all season.

Least we’ll only have 2 years of this idea by Vlandys that’s a positive lol
It's grass. The only difference might be the actual type of grass but it won't make a difference.

If the grass is strong enough to withhold the offensive/defensive lines going up and down on it all season, it'll be fine with a game of rugby league.

It's grass. The only difference might be the actual type of grass but it won't make a difference.

If the grass is strong enough to withhold the offensive/defensive lines going up and down on it all season, it'll be fine with a game of rugby league.

Cant agree and won’t agree with this concept my only hope is it’s only 2 years of this farcical disruption to the start of the season.

It’s not going to matter. The 4 teams in the US are going to be playing each other in round 2 anyway.

I dont have a problem with the Vegas experiment its something different to start the season.

And tbh its 4 clubs i cant stand anyway so if anything bad happens i am not too concerned.

History shows only one side the Roosters in 2019 has won the premiership the same season they had to travel to another continent to play the World Club Challenge in the UK in Feb/March.

So Penrith and these 4 teams potentially may have some side-effects at the back end of the season with the long-haul travel.

It may not make a difference either but something to keep in mind how these 4 sides go throughout the season.

I think it will do better then when the AFL tried the China experiment.

In terms of converting NFL fans will yes that's a stretch but put it this way the fast paced nature of the NRL may appeal to some.

Its just as brutal sport with no pads and helmets.

Can't agree it's a no brainer. I'm far from convinced on WA working
One club state with the riches of Infrastructure and financial support & stability, a state that has no problem with fans in great numbers attending games whether that’s a NRL season game or State of Origin…
I may be wrong and see it differently i think a team in WA would be well supported, just different opinions… 👍

(Log in to remove this ad.)

One club state with the riches of Infrastructure and financial support & stability, a state that has no problem with fans in great numbers attending games whether that’s a NRL season game or State of Origin…
I may be wrong and see it differently i think a team in WA would be well supported, just different opinions… 👍

What has actually changed since the last time for me it was a pure sugar hit last time, meaning great for a year or two, then massive decline. Look can it work, maybe, but do I have an issue them looking elsewhere no. Personally I said it before, I'd rather go an extra one in QLD first, with a team playing games in PNG (based in Cairns) my second pick. Do not want North Sydney at all, ridiculous idea already too many NSW teams

What has actually changed since the last time for me it was a pure sugar hit last time, meaning great for a year or two, then massive decline. Look can it work, maybe, but do I have an issue them looking elsewhere no. Personally I said it before, I'd rather go an extra one in QLD first, with a team playing games in PNG (based in Cairns) my second pick. Do not want North Sydney at all, ridiculous idea already too many NSW teams
Besides our WA difference, i tend to agree with you that would be my preference with state type teams too…

Last edited:
Besides our WA difference, i tend to agree with you that would be my preference with teams too…

My thinking is that we need to ensure we have AT LEAST one game at Suncorp every week, purely on TV it's probably the best stadium to watch.

I think a Bears Central Coast side would absolutely work.

But it should be down the list. One more QLD team. No PNG.

My thinking is that we need to ensure we have AT LEAST one game at Suncorp every week, purely on TV it's probably the best stadium to watch.
The turf there is always a shitshow. That's my only concern with Suncorp.

They basically have one game there most weeks with the Dolphins playing out of there at times.

Just went through the draw.

19 out of 26 rounds have a game at Suncorp. That doesn't include Magic Round where the whole comp obviously plays there.

1 of the rounds has a double up where both the Broncos and Dolphins host a game there.

Suncorp can't handle yet another team going through the joint unless you permanently kicked out the Dolphins.

Any reason for the turf being crap?
Too many games there.

The Broncos/Dolphins play out of there, the QLD Reds play out of there and now the Brisbane Roar are back there as well. Throw in an Origin game or two...

Add in a climate that doesn't always play ball and it's just a terrible surface.

I wasn't old enough to recall the Reds but from reading on them a few things have changed for the better:
  • Teams no longer pay the airfares of travelling teams. This was not the sole reason but was a huge set of handcuffs on the original Reds.
  • There is an excellent rectangular venue now (HBF Park). No more matches at the WACA. Big finals can be played at Optus.
  • Population growth in Perth and WA has been huge. Even if only 2% of the population care, that is significantly more than 25 years ago. Also, a large NZ expat population who crave union and league.
  • Union is on the nose and League is on the up. The Rabbitohs have done a lot of work here and Origin coming has exposed new eyeballs.
  • The juniors scene in WA is solid and demonstrably better than even 15 years ago.
  • The Melbourne Storm have shown how you successfully compete in an AFL environment

It will need a unique approach. Essentially aim to carve out a passionate corner of the sports market as it won't topple Freo/West Coast. The Wildcats have found that spot magnificently and leagues approach should be similar. Many people not from the West would be stunned how big a NBL club is here.

I reckon an average home attendance of 13k is possible with little to no effort and with moderate effort, 16k which would put Perth in line with a bunch of the NSW clubs.

I think a Bears Central Coast side would absolutely work.

But it should be down the list. One more QLD team. No PNG.

Should be a relocation of a NSW side there’s too many in Sydney/NSW as it is

Dogs will beat Parra round 1.

Quite possibly though I do query the spine spine. Crighton is not a FB, and who is half, the best one is the young kid and they won’t play him.

Actually have you improving a fair bit not fussed on results just being competitive most weeks.

Taafe should be FB

Remove this Banner Ad

NRL NRL 2024 - Round 1

Remove this Banner Ad

Back