Number 10 - Rhys Palmer

Remove this Banner Ad

Returned from Bali last night with Rhys on the same flight, I was very happy to see he has bulked up heaps and he seems very fit. However I was a little worried as I noticed that when he walked he did seem to have a bit of a limp. Not sure if thats normal or not, but lets hope he has a great year.

I haven't been to training in a couple of weeks, but on the tele they have had footage of him running and kicking the footy, so that is promising. He wasn't doing either a couple of weeks back.

I still reckon we shouldn't expect anything earlier than a round 5 return to the main squad. Maybe rounds 1 and 2 off, rounds 3 and 4 WAFL and all going well, round 5 with freo.

I still reckon we shouldn't expect anything earlier than a round 5 return to the main squad. Maybe rounds 1 and 2 off, rounds 3 and 4 WAFL and all going well, round 5 with freo.

Agreed. I don't think he will come out of the blocks on fire either. It may take him until about round 10 to really get into his groove, but I may be underestimating the kid.

Haven't had the opportunity to watch the Derby yet, but from hearing a bit about the Embley hit, as distastefull as it appears, i hope Rhys learns from it, as certainly other teams may try it later in the year. If you can put the wobbles into one of your oponents Big Timers (preferrably legally?), it is certainly worth thinking about as a useable tactic.

After seeing a few photo's, you would think that his apprehension while being over the ball would be mainly due to physical effects of taking a snipe. At least if it happens again, mentally he wont be in new territory :D

Just curious if anyone gave Embley a taste?

Crowley was working Embley over all game. Embley got the shits a few times and was going to be investigated for hits behind play, IIRC, but there wasn't any decent vision.

He's got a lot of improvement to go yet. Far from his best in his first 2 games back, but still brings enough to the table.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Still has the jitters a bit, a few handballs not hitting the sweet spots. Good attitude though, will only get better the more games he plays.

Assuming he can stay on the park, will benefit from Barlow and Mundy doing so well and taking a lot of the pressure of him in the short term. Still had good possession numbers and a goal this last game though.

He certainly hasn't shown anything like his spectacular rookie year form yet but that's to be expected coming back from a bad knee.

I'm happy for him to just keep plodding away for the rest of this year... don't think we can expect to see him anywhere near his best until 2011.

Read a post on the Draft board with some work by Collin Wisbey. One of the posts was about Swift and how he was having trouble with some things after coming back from his knee reco. Apparantly it was like all the parts werent used to working together again, with fumbles and the mental aspect of things.

Kind of stuck out to me, as they're the same sort of things Rhys has been a bit iffy on since coming back. It sounded like the only thing that was going to fix it, was playing.

The guy knows his footy an arse load more than any of us, so if he thinks a guy like Swift can get over it with game time, then I'm sure Rhys is no different.

Chuck him on the field and leave him there. It's all mental for Rhys now. Massive amounts of game time, and the freedom to play his game is what's going to fix that.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back