Number 10 - Rhys Palmer

Remove this Banner Ad

http://www.couriermail.com.au/ipad/its-rick-picking-for-rival-clubs/story-fn6ck6f9-1225980051889

THE Brisbane Lions are facing a huge battle to retain highly rated midfielder Daniel Rich when he comes off contract at the end of the year.
The 20-year-old concedes he is unsure about his footballing future and has many admirers, including Greater Western Sydney who were tracking him during their recent recruiting window for uncontracted players.

Rich, who was the AFL's 2009 NAB Rising Star, has also been linked with a move back to Western Australia to West Coast or Fremantle - a move Rich has not ruled out.

But the Giants' recruiting drive, led by former Lions football manager Graeme Allan, is rumoured to be keen on players in their early to mid-20s who can form the foundation of the club.

Players who have agreed to join the Giants will not be publicly released until the end of next season.

Rich is not the only high-profile name yet to recommit to his clubs.

Collingwood trio Dane Swan, Scott Pendlebury and Dale Thomas, Geelong champion Jimmy Bartel and Carlton midfielder Marc Murphy are all possible targets for GWS.

But Rich, the former Subiaco prodigy and 2009 draft pick, is remaining tight-lipped about the road ahead.

"I don't know, it's hard to say," Rich said when asked about re-signing with Brisbane.

"I'm happy at the moment and you can only live in the now ... but the way footy is these days anything can happen, you just don't know.

"Obviously I'm contracted to the Lions this season, but it's hard to say what's going to happen in the future.

"But I am happy at Brisbane and pre-season has been going well - that's all I can say and that's how I feel at this stage."

The rugged midfielder burst on to the AFL scene in 2009, looking at ease with the pace of the game and in Brisbane's midfield.

His 2010 season was even better, despite Brisbane's poor run. Rich averaged 19 possessions and was the Lions' second-best tackler with 103.

Yet a modest Rich maintains the season was just another learning curve.
"Being the person I am, I have high expectations on myself," he said.
"Obviously it wasn't the best year for the team, and I suppose I didn't really meet my expectations."

Palmer is on the outer at the club. Here's the trade.

Let's revisit this in 10 Months.

I don't think Palmer will be on the outer after this season anyway - though I'd still take that trade.

Only one "dodgy" pre-season game but thought he already looked better then anything he done in the 2010 season, moved pretty well and found enough of the footy in pretty limited time to impress me.
Turned it over once or twice but generally his ball use was good, lets be fair hes never going to be a great kick but as long as he isn't butchering it i'll be happy.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Terrible management drop Rhys for the Derby. If there was ever a game where he could get his groove back, you'd think this would be it.

Terrible management drop Rhys for the Derby. If there was ever a game where he could get his groove back, you'd think this would be it.

I think they have been pretty patient with him, and even though I haven't liked the idea of playing him forward, using him as sub, and trying other things with him, they have clearly been trying to get him up and about form-wise. Dropping him seems reasonable especially with JA coming in, meaning Pav staying midfield.

The options I see;

- play him midfield full-time. In the end that is what we want, and need. That is where our injuries are hurting us most. Plus he just does not seem to have another position, certainly not forward. Gives Pav more time forward.

- try him as a tagger, run with someone and just get him to negate. If the ball goes his way, get it and run, because that is what he does/did best.

- drop him to the 2's to get some confidence. He surely has not gained any confidence from his performances so far.

That last option seems the best of the 3 right now.

Nothingness > I need to express myself thru a sleeve tatt for life because I can't see past the end of my nose.

Sleeve tatts are shite now and will be many years into the future.

Sleeve tats aren't really 'self' expression any more are they?

They're more 'gunnacopywhateveryoneelsehastoprovehowalterativeIam' expression.

Sleeve tats aren't really 'self' expression any more are they?

They're more 'gunnacopywhateveryoneelsehastoprovehowalterativeIam' expression.

How do you know? Asked many people with a sleeve why they got it? Who are we to judge anyway?

It's a pretty arrogant attitude for people to have, for what is ultimately a matter of personal taste, don't you agree? One persons sleeve tattoo is another persons bus driver mustache, or loud tacky shirt with cargo shorts, black shoes and white socks.

To each their own.

How do you know? Asked many people with a sleeve why they got it? Who are we to judge anyway?

No I haven't, but it does seem an awful coincidence that so many are suddenly springing up all at once.

I've got nothing against tats (got one myself), or piercings, or any other form of self expression, but it seems silly to me to get one the same as everyone else just to follow a trend.

First it was barb wire tats, then tribal markings, then Chinese lettering, then southern crosses, now sleeves. It's one thing to follow temporary trends with your clothes, hairstyle, etc, it's another thing altogether to permanently mark your body to follow a temporary fashion.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back