Unsolved Nurses Lorraine Wilson and Wendy Evens Murder - Inquest Reviels Strange Town Behavior

Remove this Banner Ad

Apr 23, 2007
around about
AFL Club
Sydney
This famous unsolved case, dating back to 1974 near Toowomba is having it's 2nd inquest

However it's strange that a few witnesses who reported things to police at the time of the disappearance like seeing people being restrained on the road where not re interviewed by police until 1988.

In fact a woman has told the inquest she witnessed some stuff that should surely have pipped the cops interest, even if no women were currently reported missing. Females been restrained or held back by a group of 6 or more men on the side of the road, they didn't stop out of fear for their child. Yet when she reported what she saw to police she was told to go home and no follow up despite the details of the women going missing and subsequently turning up dead.

http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/que...-heard-screaming-for-help-20130408-2hg5o.html

in 1985 Police effectively told the inquest they had no reals suspects Now the old cops seem to be falling over themselves to name them.

http://www.news.com.au/national-new...wilson-20-begins/story-fndo4ckr-1226614723186

There are other things like a police officer searching for the sounds of women in distress but failing by night not seeking help and not returning.

Are we looking at just inept Queensland Coppers on the 1970s or something more sinister here?

Are we looking at just inept Queensland Coppers on the 1970s or something more sinister here?

I reckon the former but can't rule out the latter.

There was always some local gossip that a suspect was good mates or family with a Toowoomba copper.

I reckon the former but can't rule out the latter.

There was always some local gossip that a suspect was good mates or family with a Toowoomba copper.

Today's inquest suggests the whole thing was strange. A woman appears at a woman's house nearby and says she's escaped from a party and is hiding in her laundry but the young lady says they will probably catch me anyway, than after a few minutes says should be going..... than she and another woman are seen to be harried by some males and her husband saying they had probably just seen a domestic and to leavie it alone. And this not reported by police until after the first inquest.

The sawmill manager hearing his employee saying he killed the women but not reporting it until after the guy died in the US.

A bloke seeing the woman restrained by 6 men drives on and refuses to stop at the small towns police station to report it but waits until he gets to a bigger town where he is told they don't know anything about it and to go home. That evidence missed the first inquest.

What sort of community was it in the ranges above Toowomba, it sounds like it was a lawless hillbilly town where the right blokes got away with murder and controlled everybody else, even the coppers. Sounds like those still alive are trying to blame it on a dead guy.

as stated above yeah that cop who heard 'the most blood-curdling, horrendous screams' he had ever heard in his life the night they were murdered as he tried to find them and then went home and that was it.

weird

then there was the guy who saw them being pulled intot he car but didn't stop because he was cared for his family. must have affected him his whole life.

with none of the technology available like today (dna etc) i doubt there will ever be answers to this.

What sort of community was it in the ranges above Toowomba, it sounds like it was a lawless hillbilly town where the right blokes got away with murder and controlled everybody else, even the coppers. Sounds like those still alive are trying to blame it on a dead guy.

This happened just before I was born and I didn't really return to the town until the late 80s. Toowoomba is at the top of the range - places like Murphy's Creek and Withcott are at the bottom of the range (ie on/near the road to Brisbane) and are very rural/hillbilly-esque. However, from what I understand, most of the persons of interest lived in Toowoomba at the time of the crime. When I was in Toowoomba in the late 80s/early 90s, Toowoomba was known as Qld's retirement village even though it had its bad pockets like any large town. I can't comment on what it was like in the mid-70s although, like anywhere, I wouldn't be surprised if there was a degree of wilful blindness to crimes committed by locals against out-of-towners.

My gut feel is that the cops were probably more lazy/incompetent than anything else. But, as I said earlier, when the story re-surfaced in the late 80s, the local rumour was some sort of friend/family relationship between a cop and one of the suspects.

Not one of the QPS's finest moments, I suspect, in an era when the service didn't exactly cover itself in glory.

Something that seems strange now is that the sight of a bloke belting/dragging a woman was seen as a "bit of a domestic" and that people didn't get involved in that sort of thing. Sign of the times, I guess.
For the time that it happened, that's the least strange bit of all.

Here's some more "strange" for you to ponder about current day workings of this case....

A witness who claimed to recognise his schoolmate in a struggle with these women in fact never even attended school with the bloke he named. Didn't even know him and couldn't describe what he looked like.

Another bloke who said he knew one of the killers and heard him talk about it, described a totally different looking bloke to the one he named and identified a totally different bloke from photos - didn't even recognise the one whose name he gave.

And the list goes on.

All dismissed at the inquest as being of no consequence.

Today's inquest suggests the whole thing was strange. A woman appears at a woman's house nearby and says she's escaped from a party and is hiding in her laundry but the young lady says they will probably catch me anyway, than after a few minutes says should be going..... than she and another woman are seen to be harried by some males and her husband saying they had probably just seen a domestic and to leavie it alone. And this not reported by police until after the first inquest.

The sawmill manager hearing his employee saying he killed the women but not reporting it until after the guy died in the US.

A bloke seeing the woman restrained by 6 men drives on and refuses to stop at the small towns police station to report it but waits until he gets to a bigger town where he is told they don't know anything about it and to go home. That evidence missed the first inquest.

http://judylaurie.wix.com/lauriefamily

Here's some more "strange" for you to ponder about current day workings of this case....

A witness who claimed to recognise his schoolmate in a struggle with these women in fact never even attended school with the bloke he named. Didn't even know him and couldn't describe what he looked like.

Another bloke who said he knew one of the killers and heard him talk about it, described a totally different looking bloke to the one he named and identified a totally different bloke from photos - didn't even recognise the one whose name he gave.

And the list goes on.

All dismissed at the inquest as being of no consequence.

Could this simply be a case of the murder being "the biggest thing to hit town", and people trying to claim they were involved in some way. You know how people want to insert themselves into things to look important and clever......I think I knew this guy, I maybe saw this thing, I thought I heard this.....

Maybe the cops were legitimately overwhelmed/confused/disheartened in trying to sort out the genuine evidence from the posers?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back