Teams Las Vegas Raiders - The Black Hole

Remove this Banner Ad

get

Derrick Jensen, who won two Super Bowls as a player for the Raiders and then helped build another Super Bowl winner as a scout with the Seahawks, has died after a five-year battle with Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis. He was 60.

A third-round draft pick in 1978, Jensen played his entire nine-year career with the Raiders, playing running back, fullback and tight end as well as serving as the Raiders’ special teams captain for most of his career. His most memorable play came in Super Bowl XVIII, when he blocked a punt and recovered it for a touchdown.

“Derrick epitomized the perfect Raider and he will always hold a place in Silver and Black lore,” Raiders Owner Mark Davis said in a statement. “He will be missed dearly by the Raiders family and our thoughts and prayers are with his loved ones.”

After retiring as a player Jensen took a job as a scout with the Seahawks and stayed there for 22 years, retiring only when he got his ALS diagnosis.

“He’s a huge part of the Seahawks organization,” Seattle General Manager John Schneider said. “He was just a classic. There are those guys who are the hidden characters of the National Football League, and he was one of those guys among all the scouts throughout the league. Everybody legitimately loved being at a school with him, scouting with him, going to grab a beer with him, whatever.”

A study conducted by the National Institute of Occupational Safety and Health found that NFL players are four times more likely than American men as a whole to die of ALS.

Jensen’s wife Amanda died in a car accident in 2009. He is survived by his 19-year-old son, Davis.

Sorry to say, but I don't think we're going to win the Lombardi this year because....or if......

Reggie has once again neglected the D this off-season. The draft is going to net some more defensive question marks, and/or guys who need time to learn. What this team needs to take that step to hoisting the trophy is vets on D who know how to win.

It's like Reggie has said our Offense is such a strength that he's going to add more to it to make it even better (all our offensive additions to date) and hope that it's so much better than the rest of the NFL that whatever deficiencies on D wont matter. Like a Greatest Show on Turf, or Patriots 18-1 season, or Vikings 15-1 season. And hope that Pagano can get the no namers on D to play better.

But, I'm sorry to say, we ain't winning it this year with that approach. We'll have a 14-2 type season, sure, win a divisional round playoff, but when it comes to AFCCG, against a top D, we'll come up short once again.

However....imo, if Reggie trades for Sherman (and Lynch while we're at it), and also an ILB like Posluszny (we most certainly need exactly those two types of players at those two positions)....then yes we will win the Lombardi. Because this team is ready, but truly needs some standout elite presence at 1 CB position and 1 ILB position. The NT and 3-4 DE positions, aren't the best still, so maybe there's another vet out there we can add (at 3-4 DE) during either roster cuts or another trade or existing FA, that can be the fix.

If y'all and Reggie want to implicitly build the D thru the draft, then you have to wait another 2 years. Season 2018/19 or 2019/20. For that Lombardi.

Yeh.. not sure our draft picks will be impactful enough this year to give us a championship D. Still plugging too many holes across the board. Scheme may help a bit, but still lacking at corner, mlb and dt.

Wouldn't give that for sheldon. A few risks involved with him. Reckon you could get him cheaper.
True.
I guess just illustrating what could be done. All those players mentioned are certainly available.
I'd rather throw our first three picks at all those players, than entrust Reggie to draft D players with them. Especially as he's picking now in the bottom of each draft. Easy to pick the Cooper, Carrs, and Macks, when you're picking at the top.

You can address the D without revamping the entire player personnel. First off, they brought in John Pagano who is going to be working with the DBs and will have a heavy hand in the overall defensive scheme. It's no secret that Pagano runs a scheme similar to Wade Phillips (single gap 34 with a LEO lber i.e. Mack on the LOS) who they also interviewed for the same role. Schematically, we're going to see less situational reads on the D-Line, and more instinctive single gapping which in turn is going to improve the unit as a whole.

As for the personnel we've lost so far on D, I'm not worried. Hayden can't stay healthy and was a below average slot corner. Malcolm Smith is the definition of terrible. Perry Riley is still talking to the Raiders so I'm not shutting that door off yet. Stacy McGee played good for 5 games in a 4 year period.

I'd also argue that you simply can't make a whole bunch of changes personnel wise and expect the players to suddenly gel. Much like coaching continuity, there also needs to be a degree of player personnel continuity as well, not to mention personnel development from within the current roster.

We're getting Edwards back next year. I'm not concerned about his injury history. The neck injury he's been cleared of. The hip was a total fluke. Jihad Ward will develop, I don't doubt that one bit. Dan Williams will come back to OTAs in shape (unlike last off-season where it took him literally half the season to even get properly conditioned). Denico Autry was playing with an injured hand last year - hard to be an interior pass rusher when you can't use your hands. Karl Joseph is going to have a full off-season of development under him. He's one to look out for as a big improver going forward.

This D needs 2 cover linebackers (one if Riley comes back), a slot corner (Carrie can play there, I'd expect to draft one as well) and some more pass rush (which will come from within).

this idea though that Reggie is going to find it harder in the draft because he's picking lower is the biggest load of bullshit I've read in a while. Using Carr as an example as to why he will struggle is even more ridiculous.

Carr was a second round pick. Mack was passed by 4 other GMs. Many 'experts' pegged Kevin White as the #1 receiver over Amari Cooper in the 2015 draft.

Then let's look at some of the other lower picks Reggie has hit on:

Mychal Rivera was a solid TE in the 6th round.
Brice Butler a nice 7th round pick.
Latavius Murray was a 6th round pick
Someone thought our former 6th round pick Stacy McGee was worth 5 million per year.
Mario Edwards Jr, the 2nd most key player on our D after Mack was a 2nd round pick.
Gabe Jackson, our stud RG was a 3rd round pick.
Seth Roberts was undrafted.
DeAndre Washington was a 5th rounder.
Jalen Richard was undrafted.
In Vadal Alexander and Denver Kirkland, they've found two solid rotational lineman who are going to compete for a starting spot on the line this year. One was a 7th round pick, the other undrafted.
In a world where punters and kickers are getting drafted 1 round higher per year, Reggie found King as an undrafted guy.
TJ Carrie was a 7th round pick.

Reggie has hit on plenty of picks that were lower than your top 5 'sure bets.'

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Last season they were talking up Tyrell Adams. He should be competing with Jenkins as a starter or at least sharing the play. Ball & Calhoun may come good.
A few ifs but it's not as bad as it seems

Jenkins isn't being penciled in as a starter at this point. There are going to be plenty of additions to the LB group before the season starts. The depth and bench/special teams spots are filled. Need the two starters. Hopefully Riley and a draft pick (maybe Jarrad Davis).

Tanoh Kpassagnon to Oakland Raiders in Round 2

Reggie McKenzie likes to reach for physical specimens in the second round. And Tanoh Kpassagnon is the guy he’ll reach for in 2017.

Oakland Raiders GM Reggie McKenzie has done well in the first round of the draft in his time. You can’t give him bad marks for D.J. Hayden because most of the whole first round was bad in 2013. He’s gone about his business by taking the highest graded player on his board.

In the second round, he does things a little differently with the exception of QB Derek Carr in 2014. He’ll usually take a chance on a player that’s a great athlete but has some type of flaw. In 2013, McKenzie chose OT Menelik Watson, an amature boxer and college basketball player.

His problem is that he only played two years of football before McKenzie drafted him. And after watching him last year, I think it’s safe to say that’s a failed experiment. Watson is still learning after four while getting massively overpaid by the Denver Broncos now.

In 2015, McKenzie took DL Mario Edwards Jr. in the second round because of his freakish athleticism. Edwards is 6’3″, 280 pounds and ran a 4.84 at the combine to show his potential. His problem was that he played at over 300 pounds and did put up numbers at Florida State.

He looked like a terror in his rookie year then missed most of 2016 with injuries. Speaking of 2016, McKenzie took DL Jihad Ward, who’s pretty athletic for his size but not really a freak. At 6’5″, 300 pounds, he ran a 5.11 in the 40 and so far, he’s a dud.

This year, the apple of McKenzie’s eye is DL Tanoh Kpassagnon out of Villanova. Kpassagnon is very raw but he’s 6’7″, 290 pounds and ran a 4.83 40 at the 2017 NFL Scouting Combine. Rumor has it that McKenzie would have reached for him in Round 1 had he ran in the 4.7s.

On most of the draft boards I’ve seen, he’s projected to go in the third or fourth round. So when McKenzie does his second-round reach this year, it will likely be for Kpassagnon. Raiders D-line coach Jethro Franklin is one of the best in the business so this could work!

Frees up 4.5 million (with ZERO dead money), which will give us more room to fit both the Carr and Jackson contracts.

Two names I keep hearing during the draft process who are strong possibilities at #24 for Oakland include linebacker Jarrad Davis and cornerback Chidobe Owuzie. I don't think Owuzie falls past 18 and I know they have concerns that Davis won't be there at #24. Will be interesting to see how it all eventuates come draft time.

As for the Lynch stuff, give it time. Nothing has happened (as in nothing bad) so media need something to talk about and hence they've put a slightly negative slant on it with the deadline. Well breaking news, that deadline has been known for weeks. It's nothing new, and it's not a deal breaker.

ALAMEDA — Five prime time games, including a Sunday night showdown at the Coliseum with the Dallas Cowboys, highlight the Raiders’ 2017 schedule that was unveiled Thursday.

The five prime time games — which includes three appearances on Sunday Night Football — would be the most in franchise history since the AFL-NFL merger in 1970 so long as the Raiders aren’t flexed out of any of the Sunday night appearances.

Along with a Dec. 17 showdown against the Dallas Cowboys, the Raiders have road Sunday night games on Sept. 24 against Washington and Nov. 5 against the Miami Dolphins.

SCHEDULE
Sept. 10 at Tennessee Titans, 10 a.m. (CBS)
Sept. 17 vs. NEW YORK JETS, 1:05 p.m. (CBS)
Sept. 24 at Washington 5:30 p.m. (NBC)
Oct. 1 at Denver Broncos, 1:25 p.m. (CBS)
Oct. 8 vs. BALTIMORE RAVENS, 1:05 p.m. (CBS)
Oct. 15 vs. LOS ANGELES CHARGERS, 1:25 p.m. (CBS)
Thurs., Oct. 19 vs. KANSAS CITY CHIEFS, 5:25 p.m. (CBS/NFLN/Amazon)
Oct. 29 at Buffalo Bills, 10 a.m. (CBS)
Nov. 5 at Miami Dolphins, 5:30 p.m. (NBC)
BYE WEEK
Nov. 19 vs. NEW ENGLAND PATRIOTS in Mexico City, 1:25 p.m. (CBS)
Nov. 26 vs. DENVER BRONCOS, 1:25 p.m. (CBS)
Dec. 3 vs. NEW YORK GIANTS, 1:25 p.m. (FOX)
Dec. 10 at Kansas City Chiefs, 10 a.m. (CBS)
Dec. 17 vs. DALLAS COWBOYS, 5:30 p.m. (NBC)
Mon., Dec. 25 at Philadelphia Eagles, 5:30 p.m. (ESPN)
Dec. 31 at Los Angeles Chargers, 1:25 p.m. (CBS)

With needs at so many positions over the years, neglecting inside linebacker in favor of other positions wasn’t considered a big deal. This year it might be.

While McKenzie isn’t about to tip his hand on his plans, he said today in his pre-draft press conference, alongside head coach Jack Del Rio, that there will be a couple new additions at linebacker when the team hits the field this season.

“We want good linebacker play. Jack [Del Rio] and I know what a good linebacker is supposed to look like,” said McKenzie. “We’re going to get us a couple I hope at some point before we play in September. Whether they’re in this draft or post draft or trade or somebody gets released.”

Raiders have offered Lynch 3.3 million per year. He wants 4.5 million per year. There's a middle ground to be had with incentives and what not.

A deal was more or less agreed in principle back last week and then once the Easter break had finished, Lynch came back asking for more $. It's Marshawn, and he's as unpredictable as it gets when it comes to this stuff. Right now, I still believe this gets done. But it's not a simple black and white situation.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back