Teams Las Vegas Raiders - The Black Hole

Remove this Banner Ad

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...josh-rosen-could-slide-colts-looking-to-trade

Teams are in love with Georgia's Roquan Smith and Virginia Tech's Tremaine Edmunds: These two linebackers are universally praised by the executives I've spoken to in the last week. I've been asked this question multiple times: "Do you think either of those linebackers will be there when we pick?" To those teams picking outside the top 10, my answer is brief: "No."

Very interesting comments by Chucky in this article :-

https://247sports.com/nfl/oakland-r...Jon-Gruden-praises-Tremaine-Edmunds-117391737

There's no denying that Oakland Raiders fans and draft gurus are strongly buying into the team opting to use the No. 10 pick in the 2018 NFL Draft on former Georgia star Roquan Smith.

While drafting Smith would unquestionably be a great choice and one that the fanbase would almost certainly be on board with, it was another defensive playmaker who received outright praise from Raiders coach Jon Gruden recently.

As ESPN's Paul Gutierrez pointed out, Gruden spoke about 19-year-old Virginia Tech linebacker Tremaine Edmunds at the NFL Annual Meeting, calling him "a hell of a player."

“There’s a 19-year-old football player in this draft that’s a hell of a player,” Gruden said. “We’re not going to discriminate against him because he’s 19. You’re the best player and you fit what we’re looking for, we’ll take you. But you also have to be cognizant of what these guys need to get where they need to go. You’ve got to be realistic.”

Yes, Edmunds is only 19 (turns 20 almost immediately after the NFL draft), but his play over the past two seasons with the Hokies was more than enough to make that a moot point.

Between his sophomore and junior seasons, Edmunds racked up 202 combined tackles, 30.5 for loss, 10 sacks and three forced fumbles. Interestingly, in the latest mock drafts from both ESPN draft analysts Mel Kiper and Todd McShay, Smith is off the board before the Raiders even pick, yet only the latter has Gruden rolling with Edmunds in that No. 10 spot.

On the flip side, Kiper actually has the Raiders selecting Ohio State cornerback Denzel Ward, and in turn, Edmunds lands with the Buffalo Bills at No. 12.

While both Smith and Edmunds would be excellent picks for the Raiders in the first round, it's a complete unknown if either will even be available. There's also the chance that Oakland could opt to trade back in the first round.

Time will tell, but one thing that's certain is that with so many quarterback-needy teams in the top-1o of the draft, there's going to be quite a bit of talent when the Raiders get on the clock.

Think Chewy316 is on the money with his views on Tremaine Edmunds as our pick.

We need more out of our draft classes, from 2015, 2016, 2017," Gruden added. "A lot of those guys have been hurt. A lot of those guys are still a mystery."

Hence Gruden's desire to push the youngsters with "competition, versatility and depth" in free agency and the upcoming draft.

"We had a lot of needs," Gruden said. "Our secondary was decimated. Our linebacking corps -- we didn't have any numbers. Two of our defensive linemen were free agents. A lot of issues."

Gruden said the draft would be "interesting" because the Raiders have so many picks overall, 11, with two in the fifth round and four in the sixth.

Still, trading down is not out of the question. Nor is Gruden pulling the plug on a recent draft pick.

"We're not going to ever downplay a young player's development," Gruden said. "But you can't wait around forever. You can't save a bad idea forever."

From si.com

The revived Raiders coach exudes exuberance as his team’s first practices nears.

That outlines the kind of players the Raiders will be looking for next weekend, and were looking for in free agency. “Obviously, talent is what we’re looking for,” he said. “You can’t play in pro football without talent. But we’ve had three team meetings, they haven’t been very long team meetings, short and to the point. The message has been on effort, it doesn’t take any talent to do the best you can, we’re putting a premium on effort, something each guy can control. Secondly, you gotta know what to do. You have to be able to play multiple positions today, we don’t have a lot of guys active on game day and we like to attack different ways. So you gotta have the effort, you gotta know what to do, and finally, you have to really be a team player. You have to support one another, work together, all for the Silver and Black, man.” So when you hear, say, Georgia linebacker Roquan Smith, connected to the Raiders, you’ll know why.

Gruden is inheriting a team that I’ve heard, bluntly, may have needed a little bit of a kick in the ass last year. So I see his assessment of the first six sessions as significant here. “I’m not allowed to be on the field—not allowed to be on the field with these players watching them—but I hear from our strength coaches,” Gruden says. “I know what our attendance is, every man except for Khalil and hopefully we get him here soon. The work ethic is outstanding, the meetings have been fun, they’ve been really good. I really enjoy working with Derek Carr, I spend a lot of time with him and the offense when I’m allowed. So there are signs of encouragement. We’re really anxious to get them on the field for this minicamp to see how much they’ve learned.”

Lots of chatter about Roquan to the Raiders over the past few days, both publicly and privately.

I doubt I will give much more info on what I'm hearing with the draft right until an hour or so before the draft begins. Too many smokescreens from now until next Friday our time.

As for the schedule, it's hard not to like it. No back to back east coast games. Only 2 cold weather games. An away thursday night football game that involves no travel (@SF). All in all, a favourable schedule. I have us down for anywhere between 9 and 11 wins.

Tough start against rams on the diamond. They've got a flock of new gun players and we haven't.....yet.

The last time a dream team was formulated via free agency they were a major flop (Eagles of 2011). Rebuilding via trades and free agency as the Rams have done this off-season is a boom or bust scenario.

It's going to be a close game, Gruden will have us ready.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Friday afternoon, the Oakland Raiders held their pre-draft press conference with General Manager Reggie McKenzie. He met with members of the media to discuss the upcoming 2018 NFL Draft, and touched on a couple other topics as well.

Here are the quick hits from his media session:

McKenzie divulged what he and Head Coach Jon Gruden are looking for when they draft players.

“Raiders. The characteristics of that is just being good football players. It’s not about height, weight, speed or where they come from. It’s about who they are as players. Do they love playing football? All those types of characteristics that you truly like about football players.”

After targeting several players in free agency, McKenzie shared how that impacts the Draft.

“It’s always a situation where players come up, whether you need them or whether you want them, versus the best player. We just try to fill the roster up. If we saw a player out there that we could really go get, that’s what we did this offseason. Whether it’s to patch holes, we just wanted to bring in some good competition, some good players, some leadership. That’s what we did. Now, going into this draft, that will play a part only from the standpoint of competition. We’re not going to not get a position player because we signed a certain guy. If there’s a player on our board that we really like, we’re still going to try to get him.”

McKenzie talked about what he’s learned about Gruden through working with him so far.

“Oh man, he’s a bowling ball of butcher knives. (laughter) He’s great. I love the fire, I love the enthusiasm. We can talk football all day and watch film. I mean, it’s been really good. I’m excited to watch him on the grass and get out there and watch practice. It’s fun. That’s what I expected. He’s going to make it fun and not just for his players and coaches but it’s fun being around him and I like that.”

The Raiders GM shared that there’s no update on defensive end Khalil Mack’s contract extension at this point.

“No, we look at Khalil as his own situation. We’re not looking at anybody else. We’re just focusing on our guy.”

Following the 2018 regular season schedule release Thursday, McKenzie discussed the upcoming slate of games for the Silver and Black.

“That’s the way it is. We’re excited. To open up on Monday Night, being at home, it’s going to be a good one. I think the schedule has worked out pretty good. In the long run, we got a few TV games which is good for the players and it’s good for Raider Nation. They can watch us on that forum. We’re excited for this schedule. We’ll see how it is in the end with the cold weather, but that’s not going to be a problem.”

Friday afternoon, the Oakland Raiders held their pre-draft press conference with General Manager Reggie McKenzie. He met with members of the media to discuss the upcoming 2018 NFL Draft, and touched on a couple other topics as well.

Here are the quick hits from his media session:

McKenzie divulged what he and Head Coach Jon Gruden are looking for when they draft players.

“Raiders. The characteristics of that is just being good football players. It’s not about height, weight, speed or where they come from. It’s about who they are as players. Do they love playing football? All those types of characteristics that you truly like about football players.”

After targeting several players in free agency, McKenzie shared how that impacts the Draft.

“It’s always a situation where players come up, whether you need them or whether you want them, versus the best player. We just try to fill the roster up. If we saw a player out there that we could really go get, that’s what we did this offseason. Whether it’s to patch holes, we just wanted to bring in some good competition, some good players, some leadership. That’s what we did. Now, going into this draft, that will play a part only from the standpoint of competition. We’re not going to not get a position player because we signed a certain guy. If there’s a player on our board that we really like, we’re still going to try to get him.”

McKenzie talked about what he’s learned about Gruden through working with him so far.

“Oh man, he’s a bowling ball of butcher knives. (laughter) He’s great. I love the fire, I love the enthusiasm. We can talk football all day and watch film. I mean, it’s been really good. I’m excited to watch him on the grass and get out there and watch practice. It’s fun. That’s what I expected. He’s going to make it fun and not just for his players and coaches but it’s fun being around him and I like that.”

The Raiders GM shared that there’s no update on defensive end Khalil Mack’s contract extension at this point.

“No, we look at Khalil as his own situation. We’re not looking at anybody else. We’re just focusing on our guy.”

Following the 2018 regular season schedule release Thursday, McKenzie discussed the upcoming slate of games for the Silver and Black.

“That’s the way it is. We’re excited. To open up on Monday Night, being at home, it’s going to be a good one. I think the schedule has worked out pretty good. In the long run, we got a few TV games which is good for the players and it’s good for Raider Nation. They can watch us on that forum. We’re excited for this schedule. We’ll see how it is in the end with the cold weather, but that’s not going to be a problem.”

What we learned from Reggie McKenzie’s presser
Bill Williamson by Bill Williamson April 20, 2018

Sure, there were some intriguing nuggets shared by Oakland Raiders’ general manager Reggie McKenzie in his pre-draft press conference Friday afternoon. However, none of the intrigue has anything to do with next week’s draft.

Per that draft, McKenzie said all the expected mumbo-jumbo. He and coach Jon Gruden, who has fail say, work great together and they will follow their board. Yeah.yeah, we got it.

Now, on to the stuff that has some pertinence:

On Amari Cooper’s option decision: McKenzie didn’t say if the Raiders are going to exercise the receiver’s fifth-year option for 2019. He said he wants to concentrate on the draft. But McKenzie did say he has been in contact with Cooper’s agent and he said the team likes him. It sounds like Cooper will be given the option by the May 3 deadline. I wouldn’t blame the Raiders if they decline it and take their chances. They can always extend him next year if he plays well.

On London plans: This surprised me. McKenzie said the Raiders’ plan on working in Alameda the week prior to the game. Gruden has said he doesn’t like long trips away from home. They will work at home to keep normalcy. But there is nothing normal about a12-hour flight at the end of a week before a game. This is a risky move for Gruden, who has a never coached in London before.

On Khalil Mack: McKenzie said nothing is new. Mack is expected to continue to stay away from the team without a new deal.

On NaVorro Bowman: Nothing new, according to Reggie. I would think the Raiders will see what they do in the draft before revisiting Bowman.

On Garson Conley: McKenzie had no update on when the 2017 first-round pick will be cleared for full participation. He is coming back from a November shin injury.

On Marquette King: Asked about the surprise move, McKenzie wouldn’t elaborate on King’s release. He only said his contract was “pretty steep.” McKenzie would know. He was the guy who gave King the deal.

On possibility of drafting his son: McKenzie’s son, Kahlil, is a late-round prospect out of Tennessee. McKenzie said he wouldn’t rule out drafting his kid. McKenzie said the Raiders’ coaching staff likes his son as a player. My prediction: McKenzie the younger is one of the those four sixth-round picks.

The last time a dream team was formulated via free agency they were a major flop (Eagles of 2011). Rebuilding via trades and free agency as the Rams have done this off-season is a boom or bust scenario.

It's going to be a close game, Gruden will have us ready.

I expect Gruden to shape new players out of Conley, Obi, Kirkland, Hester, Cowser, Sharpe and Latham.
I hope Chucky can work up players like Ward, Calhoun, Holton and Feliciano.

Rodgers went pick 24. We took Fabian Washington at 23. There are some QBs in this draft that their weaknesses are being highlighted more than their overall skills. Gruden had pick five.

Green-room nightmare: Inside Aaron Rodgers' draft-day fall
Jon Gruden, ex-Tampa Bay head coach: "I went and watched tape with Aaron. I can still remember it like yesterday. I watched tape with Coach Tedford and Aaron. Was really impressed in the film room and then we went out right there in the stadium. We walked right outside and started playing catch to loosen him up and then you look up in the stands and here comes this strange figure walking down the aisle and Aaron says, 'Who is that?' I said that's our receiver. He says, 'Well who is it?' I said, 'You'll see.' So it's Jerry Rice. That was pretty good. That was a great day. I've still got the picture hanging right here at the FFCA [Fired Football Coaches Association]. It's a memento of why I was fired. You can see one of the greatest regrets in my lifetime."

The Oakland Raiders have Georgia Bulldogs linebacker Roquan Smith atop their board as they evaluate potential targets for the 10th overall pick in the 2018 NFL draft, ESPN's Todd McShay reported on a conference call.
"[Smith] is the guy," McShay said. "I don't know that they would be willing to give away additional picks later to go up and get him. But he's the guy they want."

LSU edge rusher Arden Key believes he'd be a perfect fit with the Raiders.

Key (6'4/238) visited the Raiders recently. "I loved Oakland -- I vibed with them really good," Key said. "It was awesome. I felt at home, I felt comfortable, and as soon as I stepped in the building I felt like I was part of the team. Jon Gruden, he's a high-energy guy. There wasn't a dull moment with him. I also met with the D-coordinator (Paul Guenther) and some other coaches. They teach a lot of the things we did at LSU, so if they draft me, I think I would fit right in." Key has been a busy guy. He also had pre-draft visits with the Bengals, Redskins, Titans, Raiders, 49ers, Bears, Cowboys and Saints. Clearly, teams want to get in front of him and figure out where his head is at. Key is a first-round talent who's going to be available on Day 2 because of his off-field concerns, dedication questions and durability issues.

Source: NFL.com

Remove this Banner Ad

Back