Teams Las Vegas Raiders - The Black Hole

Remove this Banner Ad

Steel Eagles

Senior List
Aug 17, 2009
Palmyra
AFL Club
West Coast
With Bosa/Williams/Allen the likely top 3 in the draft, it will be interesting to see which way we go with pick 4.

Our pass rush is just deplorable so this guy does look very appealing :-

Clelin Farrell just completed a perfect college football season.

Clemson’s star defensive end finished with double-digit sacks, was named a first-team All-American and won the Ted Hendricks Award as the nation’s top player at his position. His Tigers dominated Alabama 44-16 on Monday night at Levi’s Stadium to win the national college football championship.
Ferrell finished his redshirt junior season healthy, ready for whatever comes next.

“I’m not going to look back at this season not as an individual thing,” Ferrell said. “This was a journey with my teammates here at Clemson. To see us go out and do everything we set out to do and cap it by beating a great team, that means the world to us.”
It doesn’t get much better than that. It also might be the perfect end to an excellent college career. Ferrell can walk off a winner, and start preparing for the 2019 NFL Draft.

He could be a Raiders selection at No. 4 overall, joining a team that desperately needs a polished edge rusher who's capable against the run and pass.
Ferrell wasn’t ready to turn pro just yet, even if that’s logical for someone who has achieved almost everything in college football, and is expected to be a top-10 pick.

The thrill of victory, after all, was still coursing through his veins.

“How can you leave this?” Ferrell said. ”Look around. How can you walk away from this team, this coaching staff? It’s going to be a tough decision, for sure.”
Maybe, maybe not when logic takes hold. Ferrell will allow that to happen before making his intentions public.

“I’ll take some time with family and think about it. I’ll talk to my coaches and come to a decision,” he said. “But I’m going to celebrate this one first. We’re going to celebrate for the next couple days. Any time you beat a team like that, you have to celebrate. I’ll come to a decision at the right time, when I can take the emotion out of it and put everything on the table.”

That should lead toward a decision that puts millions in his bank account. It didn’t happen Monday night, despite several opportunities for Ferrell to confirm he’s turning pro.

https://www.nbcsports.com/bayarea/r...l-wants-be-what-aldon-smith-shouldve-been-nfl

Clelin Ferrell wasn't randomly given No. 99 at Clemson. It was chosen, then proudly worn in homage to his favorite pass rusher of all time.
It's a man the Bay Area knows well.

That’s right: Aldon Smith.

The University of Missouri product had an unreal start to his NFL career, with 42 sacks in his first three seasons with the 49ers. Then it went supernova, destroyed by off-the-field issues, suspensions and run-ins with the law. Smith hasn’t played NFL football since an abbreviated 2015 campaign with the Raiders, battling well-documented issues with substances of abuse.

Ferrell knows that Smith has his demons. Ferrell also knows that few pass rushers were better than Smith at his best.

“I know his career didn’t pan out the way a lot of people wanted, but (he’s) the reason I wear No. 99,” Ferrell said Saturday during College Football National Championship media day at SAP Center. “I feel like I could be … and I don't know if anything’s over with [Smith's career] -- that’s still in the works -- but I feel like I can be what he should've been and where he should be in his career right now.

“I know he has had some setbacks, and I always pray that he'll return to the level he was. I always looked up to him and his game."
Ferrell has the talent to play at an Smith-like level. He has ideal size at 6-foot-4, 265 pounds. He also has ideal speed, athleticism and length, but he isn’t just a workout warrior. He has steadily produced for Clemson, with 27 sacks over three seasons heading into Monday’s national championship game against Alabama at Levi’s Stadium, where Smith briefly played. Ferrell has 21 sacks in the last two years, far more than Smith had in two years as a collegian.

Ferrell is a better run defender than many think, something he’d like you to know before stereotyping him as a situational pass rusher.

Ferrell ranks high among college football’s edge rushers -- he won the Ted Hendricks Award as the nation’s best defensive end -- and he should be a top-10 pick if he declares for the 2019 NFL draft. He could be a Raiders target as high as No. 4, or if the Silver and Black trade back a smidge to acquire more picks.
He would fill a pressing need rushing off the edge and setting it in the run game -- two traits lacking in the 2018 Raiders defensive front.
“He has a great future,” Clemson defensive coordinator Brent Venables said. “He’s long, athletic and has great speed. He has instincts and some real natural talent, but also has character and work ethic and the fortitude to out-compete and fight and be a great leader. He has great humility to him. All those things translate to the next level and will help him transition to the NFL. He’ll be very prepared for what’s in front of him.”

Ferrell hasn’t formally decided whether to turn pro, but he’s expected to at some point after Monday’s game. The redshirt junior could’ve done so last year, but he returned to school, then dominated the 2018 season, with 11.5 sacks and 18.5 tackles for loss. He was named a first-team All-American for the second consecutive year, and he has accomplished almost everything at the amateur level.

He still didn’t want to tip his hand just yet, and swears he can tune out all the draft talk while focusing on what could be his last game at Clemson.
“I was blessed to be in a position (last year) where my name was involved in draft talk, but I can't control all of that,” Ferrell said. “It’s such a long process from now to making a decision and through the draft. I’m not really thinking about it, because so much can happen between then and now. I’ll make a decision at the end of the season.

"I just focus on what’s in front of me, and that’s the national championship game. That’s why I came to Clemson, to win a title. I owe that to the team and the program to remain 100 percent focused on that.”

The reports on him are very favourable also - well liked young man who has worked hard to get to where he is today. He seems to be someone of high character and has no off the field issues, a man who should gel in any locker room environment.

Thoughts Chewy316 GG.exe ?

Sep 6, 2005
AFL Club
Fremantle
Ferrell is a beast. I think tho, if those top 3 go, there could be a number of teams interested in moving up to 4 to take the QB. Which could be a good move. There's a chance tho someone could try to move up to 3 for a QB and then the Raiders could take whoevers left of those three. Personally, I like Allen of those three.

Sep 6, 2005
AFL Club
Fremantle
Mike Mayock: Jon Gruden has “final say”

Posted by Darin Gantt on January 8, 2019, 5:55 AM EST

ap_18365812879678-e1546944571338.jpg

AP

The Raiders hired Mike Mayock as General Manager, though he admits that title oversells his authority.

Such that coach Jon Gruden’s $100 million contract didn’t make it clear, Mayock himself said that the coach is the boss.

“In all honesty, Jon’s got final say, if it ever comes to that, and I’ve got zero problems with that,” Mayock said, via ESPN’s Steve Levy. “Now, having said that, I think we’re going to come to a consensus, and I like a little yelling, a little screaming, a little fighting for what players you believe in. But at the end of the day, I guarantee you, Jon Gruden and I are going to know what a Raider looks like and smells like. I don’t think we’re going to have any issues.”

Of course, that’s easy to say now, that the yelling and screaming hasn’t started yet. Mayock was scouting last night’s Clemson-Alabama national championship game, and said the legwork of the job is the easy part for him.

“This is the first time I got out of the building, I think, in a week, and I’m not even kidding you,” Mayock said. “It’s been awesome. I’ve been a little overwhelmed with some of the non-football duties that go along with being a G.M., and you’ve got to kind of prioritize, get yourself back to the tape, because that’s the reason I’m there in the first place.”

The Raiders have three first-round picks in the coming draft, their own fourth overall, the 24th from the Bears and the to-be-determined Cowboys pick. They also have plenty of holes to fill after trading away Khalil Mack and Amari Cooper to get those extra picks, so Mayock will need to be more thorough than he was as a television analyst, since there’s a cost to being wrong now.

Sep 6, 2005
AFL Club
Fremantle
Report: Raiders talking to San Diego

Posted by Mike Florio on January 8, 2019, 5:23 PM EST

GettyImages-630221944-e1546986057949.jpg

Getty Images

Three years after the Raiders and Chargers failed to secure approval to share an L.A.-area stadium, the Raiders could be moving to the city the Chargers abandoned. At least for a year.
Dan Sileo of 97.3 the Fan in San Diego reports that the Raiders have contacted the office of the San Diego mayor about playing the team’s 2019 games at the venue vacated two years ago by the Chargers.
The development isn’t completely unexpected. The Raiders, disinclined to play in Oakland now that Oakland is suing the Raiders, need a home until their new stadium is ready. They reportedly won’t move to Las Vegas early and play in Sam Boyd Stadium. Thus, they’ll need an alternate location, with the options being AT&T Park in San Francisco (home of the Giants), London (that’s highly unlikely), Levi’s Stadium (it makes the most sense, but the 49ers and Raiders are too stubborn to share space), and San Diego.
A season in San Diego would mean that the Chargers would play at least one game there next season, with the theoretical possibility of a playoff game there, too.

Sep 6, 2005
AFL Club
Fremantle
Sep 6, 2005
AFL Club
Fremantle
https://www.eastbaytimes.com/2017/03/29/oakland-raiders-what-was-the-teams-first-mascot/

Not sure if it is true...but they have PDFs of the original article...Kendrick Martin of Hayward, who won the contest (more to the story)

"Fighting Name: Martin said he chose the name "Raiders" "because our team and its supporters must be fired and inspired by a fighting name. 'Raiders' implies early, sustained offense, carrying the fight to the opponents."

Feb 1, 2008
Thailand
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Ferrell is a beast. I think tho, if those top 3 go, there could be a number of teams interested in moving up to 4 to take the QB. Which could be a good move. There's a chance tho someone could try to move up to 3 for a QB and then the Raiders could take whoevers left of those three. Personally, I like Allen of those three.

Jags could move up from 7 or maybe donkeys from 10 but we need to get a better return than we did last draft. Some good players in this first round

Sep 6, 2005
AFL Club
Fremantle
“Physically, it was hard. I’m just calling it like it is,” Carr said. “It was tough, but it’s my job. A lot of times, I look at those situations and wonder if there are half of those (sacks) that I could’ve erased. Could I have thrown it at someone’s feet or checked it down to something else when I didn’t have a premier look? That’s what me and Coach Gruden, (offensive coordinator Greg Olson and quarterbacks coach Brian Callahan) are going to do in the coming weeks, is sit down and look at it.

---
Yes, more checking down and throwing at feet please. Recipe for success.
---
Derek the dumb. Trade him ASAP for whatever you can get.
---
15 highest paid qb next yr. Great deal. smh.
---
maybe side step inside the pocket or scramble out for a 1st down.." words never uttered... or thought by Carr... "check-down or throw it to their feet.." trade him. he is a bum.
---
Throw to feet? Check it down to alternate checkdown? This guy has a bird brain. Find open players with field vision? he just doesn’t have it.
---

Sep 6, 2005
AFL Club
Fremantle
Tucson floated as possible Raiders home in 2019

Posted by Michael David Smith on January 10, 2019, 6:06 AM EST

GettyImages-1069437722.jpg

Getty Images

Add Tucson to the list of potential Raiders homes for 2019.

With the Raiders and Oakland in the middle of a dispute, and with the Raiders’ Las Vegas stadium not ready until 2020, it remains unclear where the Raiders will play this year. Tucson attorney Ali Farhang says he talked to Raiders president Marc Badain about the possibility of the Raiders playing their 2019 home games at Arizona Stadium, the 56,000-seat stadium where the University of Arizona Wildcats play.

According to Farhang, Badain listened and they agreed to have further dialogue.

It’s a long shot, but we’re going to put our best foot forward to turn impossible into possible,” Farhang told the Arizona Daily Star.

Farhang says he has the approval of the University of Arizona to try to facilitate a deal, and he also says he got the blessing of Arizona Cardinals, who play just two hours away in Glendale. So while it is a long shot, Tucson is getting itself ready for the possibility of hosting the Raiders for eight games.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sep 6, 2005
AFL Club
Fremantle
been debating with raiders bloggers about stuff. for instance, how smart chris ballard was drafting nelson and leonard with first two picks. while seldom do the raiders draft smart, move around the board smart.

------------

mckenzie had something going.
he drafted core talent at qb, wr, de, lg, ss, cb.
sure he whiffed a lot and why he had to go.
but the building blocks were in place to take this team the next step. it's like the raiders just wasted the last 10 years of time by hiring gruden to tear down the small success mckenzie had established, instead of trying to compliment it.
you cant always as gm/hc come in and get every single player you want only, you have to compromise and keep on players that you inherited.
if gruden had done a LITTLE better in the draft AND kept the core reggie talent, look where the raiders would be heading into the 2019 draft.....
CARR, COOPER, MACK, JACKSON, JOSEPH, CONLEY HURST, MILLER, PARKER, KEY
that's a growing core,...add another DE like say Allen from the 2019 draft, and with the 2nd pick a Leonard-type MLB and bingo, suddenly this hypothetical raiders would be contenders.

Feb 1, 2008
Thailand
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Gruden would like this guy
  • Ed Oliver, 6-1/275
  • Defensive Tackle
  • Houston

Strengths:
  • Incredible athlete
  • Rare speed; extremely fast interior defensive lineman
  • Can take over games
  • Intimidating presence
  • Dangerous pass-rusher
  • Explosive
  • Closes on quarterbacks in a hurry
  • Excellent get-off
  • Fast feet
  • Splash plays
  • Extremely disruptive
  • Natural pad level
  • Skilled at shedding blocks
  • Good pursuit run-defender
  • Plays with good leverage
  • Good motor
  • Instinctive
  • Awareness
  • Great twitch
  • Durable
  • Well-conditioned
  • Upside, could get better with experience

Feb 1, 2008
Thailand
AFL Club
North Melbourne
What will the Oakland Raiders do at the No. 4 overall pick in this year’s draft?
Edge-rusher is the team’s greatest need as the team had a league-worst 13 sacks in 2018. Joey Bosa of Ohio State and Josh Allen of Kentucky look like good candidates to try to replace Khalil Mack but they may not be available at No. 4 overall. However, the Raiders could trade down and get a player who could have more upside than either of them.
Michigan defensive end Rashan Gary is 6’5”, 280 pounds and ran a 4.57 40-yard dash at Michigan’s last spring combine. He also broad jumped 9-6 and ran a 6.70 in the 3-cone drill. The 3-cone drill is good to measure an edge-rusher’s ability to turn the corner. If those times are legit, his 3-cone drill time is .01 faster than former Raiders receiver Amari Cooper and the same as Von Miller. And to put Gary’s 40 time in perspective, Julius Peppers ran a 4.68 40 at 6’7”, 280 pounds.

Feb 1, 2008
Thailand
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Feels as though we never really had a season. Maybe going to miss this year unless they can get organized.

The Oakland Alameda Coliseum Authority will have a critical meeting on Friday to discuss the possibility of the Raiders returning to the Bay Area for one final season. Will this bring about the Raiders return, or will it widen the gap between the two teams? At this point, the outcome is unknown, but the team representatives will not be present for the meeting.

Feb 1, 2008
Thailand
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Raiders 2019 Free Agency Wish List: Edge rushers aplenty

Frank Clark, Seahawks

What a steal it would be to get this 25-year-old. Tom Cable probably remembers Clark tearing up his tackles in Seattle his last couple seasons there. Clark has averaged double digit sacks over the past three seasons, including 13.0 sacks last season. And he just went on twitter the other day saying he was playing at 60% last season.
Dante Fowler Jr, Rams

Fowler was the third overall pick in the 2015 draft out of Florida and Mike Mayock’s top rated pass rusher. He has yet to live up to that billing, but he did put up 16.0 sacks over three seasons and is just 24 years old. Maybe Mayock thinks he’s still got that top pass rusher in him

Feb 1, 2008
Thailand
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Amani Oruwariye/CB Penn State – 6’1 203
The Good

– Ideal size and grown into his frame, certainly looks the part
– Long arms and uses his length/size to his advantage, helps him finish plays and break up throws at the catch point
– Best contesting vertical passes in Cover 1 or Cover 3/match, able to box out and pin receivers to sideline who take outside release
– Disciplined in coverage, not fooled by double-moves and has good eyes
– Capable of making plays in coverage, shows ball skills (breakups) and hands (interceptions), can make difficult plays
– Good leaper, times his jumps and able to high point the football
– Productive career
– Experience as field and boundary corner and both corner spots

If you’re looking for a corner with ball skills and size, Oruwariye is your dude. His combination of size, length, and playmaking ability is a nice profile to possess. He routinely does an awesome job playing the ball in man coverage on vertical throws. He knows how to use leverage to his advantage. pin receivers to the outside, box them out, and finish the play

Feb 1, 2008
Thailand
AFL Club
North Melbourne
The first day of practice for the Reese’s Senior Bowl is now in the books, and there was a ton of talent on display during both of the practices. On a chilly day that eventually led to some misting, the action luckily kept things bearable.
Disclaimer: I, for the most part, almost only follow around the OL and DL throughout practice. So those takes are some I feel more confident in, whereas the other positions are based on what I catch glimpses of and hear from those I trust.
The South team is coached by the San Francisco 49ers and the North team is coached by the Oakland Raiders

North Practice
  • The theme of disruptive defensive linemen consistently defeating the offense in 1v1 pass rush drills (they’re supposed to) continued. Arizona State’s Renell Wren is a large human being at 6’5” and 315, and his explosive first step makes it tough on opposing blockers.
  • Boston College’s Zach Allen also had a good day, defeating Kansas State’s Dalton Risner. Allen was able to beat Risner inside, which is the worst way for a tackle to get beat.
  • Oregon’s Jalen Jelks and Maryland’s Byron Cowart also both had their flashes at times as well.
  • Penn State cornerback Amani Oruwariye had a nice day as well. The big corner weighed in at just under 6’2” and 204. He’s a big physical corner who has shown the ability to project in both zone and man coverage.
  • Ohio State’s Terry McLaurin might be the best athlete here in Mobile, regardless of position or team. The speedy wideout had multiple catches on deep routes during 1 on 1s in coverage. He was very impressive almost every time I saw him on Tuesday.

Sep 6, 2005
AFL Club
Fremantle

I read the transcript of this earlier and his lack of experience does slightly scare you when he speaks of a sr scout warning him how the sr bowl can be a trap because a guy can blow ppl up yet didnt put it on tape. Luckily hes taking advice and learning but u kinda wish he woulda taken those lumps already
------
Eddie Vanderdoes and Brandon Parker are examples of players who didn't have great tape but we took because they showed up in the Senior Bowl. Obviously they haven't showed much in the pros. Senior Bowl eval has to be merely a part in a bigger scouting picture of a player.
------

Remove this Banner Ad

Back