Off-season musings: Does the bitterness of certain Blues fans make the trade taste that much sweeter

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 17, 2006
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Good to see the quality of BigFooty remains high after a long suspension-induced hiatus.

Didn't realise we traded the greatest CHF to have played (who's career goal tally is equivalent to Simon Prestigiacomo's haul), and arguably the best pick 12 in the history of the draft since Lewis Johnston, for a 32 year old, over-the-hill, injury-plagued (as much as bad body ink and infected afro re-growth consitutes a footy injury), "don't-want-to-chase" buffoon. Ignoring Callum Bartlett for just a wee second (why not, a large number of disgruntled Blues' fans analysing this trade are), we are in major trouble.

Sure Hendo will be a good player, maybe even a great player, but let's be honest, he won't need to do much to surpass the useless oaf we have on our side now if illuminated experts such as The General are to be believed.

The signs are certainly there - it won't be easy to control the "Beast". Some of the greatest captains in the game have tried and failed. That naturally charistimatic leader-of-men Judd even struggled!! What hope do Boozy Brown and Smirky Voss have?? I've seen the "whinger" literally trot during a training drill this summer. And that glare he gave that 12 year old on the Sunny Coast during Q-and-A time on the recent community camp would have made even Houlihan or Russell break down in tears.

Where does all the bitterness flow from? Is it due to the fact the great equalising cycle of football has broken down with respect to our two sides? How could the greatest side of the modern era less than a decade ago still be ahead of the worst side of the modern era even with the benefit of a fist full of first-rounders and the backing of Slick Dick and his paper money?

Or is it because the footballing community in general will be enjoying the man bang through goal after goal at the Gabbatoir safe in the knowledge his northern retirement fund is still being largely subsidised by the CFC?

I have certainly enjoyed catching up on the reading I have missed this summer.

Good to be back.

Discuss.

Re: Off-season musings: Does the bitterness of certain Blues fans make the trade taste that much swe

The inability of Carlton supporters to deviate from the established groupthink in the multitudes of Brisbane related threads on their board is very interesting.

I have come to the conclusion that the events of the Elimination Final & Trade Week have led to a situation where the stability of their very psyches is utterly dependent on thinking that Brisbane is a rabble and that Voss handed them a massive trade week victory. The fact that most of them utterly ignore the fact that Pick 27 was part of the trade, as well as Carlton picking up 500k of his 1.4 million dollar contract... very convenient.

They can't even see the glaring contradictions in their arguments (such as railing off a list of their unproven players as future stars while simultaneously suggesting that Brisbane has no young talent) because it would just be too confronting and psychologically uncomfortable for them to do so. They have constructed a bubble of blissful ignorance to hide behind. I feel sorry for that JuddFevGoal bloke who is being ostracised on their board for refusing to buy into the "LOL Voss is insane/Fev is the antichrist/Henderson is the next Carey" mantra of their board.

Must be hard being a supporter of club that has has such an ingrained culture that mandates unquestioning chest-thumping outward displays of arrogance... a state of mind which is now clearly itching and chafing with the harsh reality of a decade of abject failure.

A lot of them are really struggling.

Re: Off-season musings: Does the bitterness of certain Blues fans make the trade taste that much swe

As for TheGeneral... he's great value. Compare his recent thoughts on Fev with some of these assessments before the trade.

Fev always speaks well on Footy Classified, but not The Footy Show which appeals to the BigFooty Bay 13 market.

Fev isn't the fool everyone thinks he is.

Brendan Fevola would be the least obvious of our players I would be happy to take with pick one in a draft.

Fevola is playing better footy than all of the early picks from the 1998 draft.

Matchwinner, Coleman Medallist, two All Australian guernseys and a cult figure who just loves to play.

Fevola is even bigger than last year.

What a unit and a kick.

The game needs more characters who aren't robots and can play footy like Fevola.

Then suddenly he gets traded to Brisbane and suddently TheGeneral describes Fevola as a complete liability off the field and is lazy and petulant on it.

Now I'm sure it would be easy to find posts by me slamming Fev as a w***er before the trade. I'll stand by them. Every team he doesn't play for hates his type. I wouldn't presume to say that he suddently became more talented the second he came to
Brisbane though. His footy ability is beyond question regardless of who he plays for.

Note: Wouldn't normally single out another poster like this, but TheGeneral is obsessed with doing it with me. I think I made his signature on about 6 different occassions last year. Plus I know he'll have a crack back. :)

I think the brisbane press will get behind fevola and the bris fans will love him. I think he will be portrayed in a different light in brisbane.Its the perfect fit for a man who wants to be a responsible parent and a fresh start in life. Who cares what the victorians think? Its totally irrelevant? He lives in brisbane and hopefully will be reading the courier mail. I hope fev never picks up the herald sun ever again and everything will be sweet. This bloke is the best full forward in the comp. I for one am absolutely rapt. I am also confident fev will love his life in brisbane. Just like all the rest of the interstaters.

Is this the humour board?

You have to admit the Charman post was a cracker.

Also when Hendo is in his prime Fev will be long retired so not sure you guys are massive winners.

Also when Hendo is in his prime Fev will be long retired so not sure you guys are massive winners.

Could say the same about Josh Kennedy. I assume you think that recruiting Judd was a silly idea then?

So what?

Henderson will be in his prime when he's 28-29?

Let's hope he doesn't turn out to be another O'halpin.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bodes well for the Carlton mantra of "our premiership window will open in <insert current year + 3> then". :thumbsu:

Given that it was sarcasm, I thought so too :thumbsu:

Could say the same about Josh Kennedy. I assume you think that recruiting Judd was a silly idea then?

Slightly different.

Judd was younger and was needed at the time. Josh Kennedy was an unfortunate loss but Judd is better for our club than Kennedy

Fevola is a direct replacement for Bradshaw so you wont get as massive upswing that we did when we got Judd. Fev does not chase or do the defensive things but may net you 10 more goals.

Fevola is a direct replacement for Bradshaw so you wont get as massive upswing that we did when we got Judd. Fev does not chase or do the defensive things but may net you 10 more goals.
Statistics say you fail.

Fev does not chase or do the defensive things

Neither does Judd

Judd was younger and was needed at the time.

I agree. If Carlton need anything it's midfielders.

Fev does not chase or do the defensive things.

Good to see you've watch your team play this season.

Slightly different.

Judd was younger and was needed at the time. Josh Kennedy was an unfortunate loss but Judd is better for our club than Kennedy

Fev laid two and a half times as many tackles in 2009 as Bradshaw.

Doesn't do the defensive things eh?

Just Bradshaw + 10 goals eh?

:eek:

This could get interesting:rolleyes:

Nar the Carlton folk down the road have already chewed each others arses off over the sacking of Fev....they've got no fight left in them.

Fev does not chase or do the defensive things but may net you 10 more goals.

Two occasions automatically spring to mind from 2009 and both he converted to goals...and both against the Lions, not to mention his other games last year:

Elim Final - chase and tackle against Patfull; and
Rd 2 - chase and tackle against Mitch Clark.

As TBD said, we will get a lot more forward 50 defensive pressure from Fevola than we had been getting from Bradshaw in the last few seasons. Good to see you watch your own side play.:rolleyes:

fly-fishing-austria_587.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back