AE Official AE15 Launch - Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

I tipped properly this week and I'm happy with my effort. A good score but not quite good enough to close it out. More on the Vikes and less on the Bears would have helped. I don't think I could have played it much safer. It came down to not wanting to tip the Eagles and Lions because I think they're s**t but they got the job done.

Big thanks to Woodson JeffDunne GG.exe and anybody else watching over comps and keeping track of scores.

Congrats to all the winners. Well fought.

Have to ask Woodson, what's the AE gold pass & do American Crow & I get one each?

I thought we split the first place prize...that works for me. ;)

Congrats As [USER=1039]Woodson says... "No risk it, No biscuit" :)[/USER]

That's Uncle Bruce's quote..

judging by the scores… there were a few like yourself who threw everything different into the Week 17 to give themselves a barnstorming finish chance but it proved to be another tricky / elusive week with just Blacky notching up triple digits.

Thanks guys! After 7 or 8 years of this wonderful comp, I've finally come away with something instead of blowing it at the very end. I approached the week thinking very little of what needed to be done, picked and sticked, and pulled it off.

Cheers to Woodson, GG, JD, PB and everyone else who make this the #1 tipping comp of any sport, every single year.

Thanks guys! After 7 or 8 years of this wonderful comp, I've finally come away with something instead of blowing it at the very end. I approached the week thinking very little of what needed to be done, picked and sticked, and pulled it off.

Cheers to Woodson, GG, JD, PB and everyone else who make this the #1 tipping comp of any sport, every single year.

RockOnMcGarnacle_zpso7sezzqq.jpg

To Woodson and the awesome crew of helpers that put together these comps, congratulations on a sensational comp, and to the victors, well done. Wasnt quite as lucrative for me as previous years but still having a shot at a few comps late in the season was fun.

My only suggestion for next year; dont change much, if anything. Let JD get the website live without too much tinkering and the R1 IT glitch (that was costly for me) and some of the early season angst doesnt happen.

While I'd prefer all tips to be entered and locked through the whole round (on the basis that it disadvantages those in front and is inequitable depending on your timezone) I know I'm in the minority on that so I'll have to bury that grumble.

I also want to thank everyone involved and appreciate the invitation to participate. Really the only reason I stayed interested in another Browns lost season was in large part due to the fun of bantering with all of you.

Only suggestion I would have (and yes a modification of my earlier stance) would be to lock in Sunday picks thru the afternoon games. In other words you would not be able to change picks for the late Sunday afternoon games. Then open it back up for changes for Sunday Night and Monday Night games.

My feeling is that it does "protect" those that can't easily change picks throughout the day due to time difference, etc...but still allows for some strategy on Sunday Night and Monday Night.

Anyhow that is my two cents and once again I really appreciate the efforts of all involved (I don't want to attempt to name the guys and inadvertently leave anyone off). You all do a remarkable job and it was a lot of fun.

This is it folks!! Where you want to be at the season end. Plastered on the PPC list (the AE's Carbine Club). Being immortalised into AE legend status.

FIVE ROOKIES Swooped this season to be amongst prize winners ( A11dAtP0w3R R/Up in the CR, Zealbee in the ND CC)
nobbyiscool was all poise at the end. First rookie to attain the Double Crown. Outstanding finish!!
Starlin Castro claimed the 3XKO title in the most extraordinary circumstances by doing a Bradbury.
AmericanCrow was dour throughout the his rookie season. A Top 20CR, a minor AE title in a tense OT cliffhanger finish which
in the end needed ex-Brown kicker, Phil Dawson, to nail the winner to preserve prize money.

Congratulations to those were 'LUCKY' enough to have won this season in a turbulent year of results.
As everyone knows that on any given 'Monday morning' it's a lottery in the NFL with finding the correct combo of winners.

Last season's Warren Moon Conference Finalist, GeeCats07 selected the first full card in AE history (Week 3) to shoot up the standings
but by the end of the season, couldn't sustain the form to compete when it mattered most down the stretch.

Chiefs fan, 11sjw , topped the list of most winners with 170 but unfortunately unable to finish higher than equal third. Still an AE PB.
Two Jets fans and long time veterans of the AE, mcgarnacle and wce_all_da_way , finally broken thru for their maiden AE titles, as did
NakedDeadGuy who led the CR standings early (great Candle Day for him). A late run in the challenging new comp, HOT STREAK, was where
the nine year veteran found his groove and if it wasn't for that big play by SF's Dontae Johnson from South Carolina, NDG may have earned more
moola.

Pennant%20Parade%20Champions%202015_zpsg0elpsah.jpg

Thanks to each one the AE15 members for making the AE experience what it is for our ninth consecutive season.
EIGHTY FOUR PARTICIPANTS spread far and wide across the nation with the USA represented in Ohio, NYC and Indiana .

Extra special thanx to JeffDunne , peterbuch74 , balmainforever , bgt2110 , Broken and GG.exe for your time and effort
needed to allow the AE in continuing to prosper despite the 'no shows' towards the end of the season.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thanks Woodson, JeffDunne, peterbuch74, GG.exe, Broken, bgt2110 and balmainforever for putting together another great year.

Personal best season for myself though I still can't seem to get anywhere in Next Duel which is my favourite comp (God knows why)

Also a special tip of the hat to everyone who participates week in, week out regardless of your position in these competitions. The main reason these competitions remain exciting for the duration of the season.

I think we should get some feedback polls going while things are still fresh.

Which comps were liked and which weren't liked.

I didn't really like Hot Streak. It seems to be the kind of comp you need to be ultra conservative with and I'm just not happy with rewarding those that tip safe safe safe.

Even though I qualified for HRS I still don't really like it. I guess it should stay though as it doesn't take too much away from the other prizes.

I got a bit hurt by DZE trying to flip MNF games to win ND. Although I guess I can't complain too much as many of those flips came off for me. Perhaps it should start a little later though to keep things interesting? I mean everybody is still well in the main comps when it started this season so hard to focus on it then once you're out of everything else the chance to focus on something like DZE is already come and gone.

Perhaps scrap the 4th place CR prize to allocate more money elsewhere? To me it feels like too much in the CR pile which is the comp which rewards safe tipping the most of all.

Woodson would be interested if you had any comment or if you have any specific questions you would like to ask for feedback?

While I'd prefer all tips to be entered and locked through the whole round (on the basis that it disadvantages those in front and is inequitable depending on your timezone) I know I'm in the minority on that so I'll have to bury that grumble.
I can appreciate that grumble. Being relatively new to this competition I'm not sure if it's part of the AE experience, but it felt as if the last game of each week had much more importance than any of the earlier games combined. Especially if you were still close enough by that last game, whether it be ND, DZE, HRS or CR.

Like you said, it appeared to disadvantage those ahead prior to those late games knowing, that despite being solid enough to post a good score, you were still at risk of losing out to somebody audibling to a Hail Mary to steal the win.

It was in play during the final week with some in the CR hunt changing to the 5-pt underdog to try and rocket up the charts, which paid off for those risk takers. But this also seemed to be common in the other competitions too.

That being said, I concede it could also be a quirk of this season where 9 of the 17 underdogs in the last game of each week (see list in Spoiler) got the win. If the favourites had got up it wouldn't have been as noticeable but, still, I can appreciate your grumble :p

Wk 1 : Vikings 4 pt favourites. Lost 20-3.
Wk 2 : Colts 7 pt favourites. Lost 20-7.

Wk 3 : Packers 7 pt favourites. Won 38-28
Wk 4 : Seahawks 10.5 pt favourites. Won 13-10.

Wk 5 : Chargers 6 pt favourites. Lost 20-24.
Wk 6 : Eagles 3.5 pt favourites. Won 27-7.
Wk 7 : Cardinals 10.5 pt favourites. Won 26-18.
Wk 8 : Panthers 6.5 pt favourites. Won 29-26.

Wk 9 : Chargers 3.5 pt favourites. Lost 19-22.
Wk 10: Bengals 9.5 pt favourites. Lost 6-10.

Wk 11: Patriots 7.5pt favourites. Won 20-13.
Wk 12: Browns 9.5 pt favourites! Lost 27-33.
Wk 13: Redskins 9.5 pt favourites. Lost 19-16.

Wk 14: Giants 1 pt favourite. Won 31-24.
Wk 15: Saints 8 pt favourites. Lost 35-27.
Wk 16: Broncos 4 pt favourites. Won 20-17.
Wk 17: Packers 5 pt favourites. Lost 20-13.

Odds sourced from oddsshark.com

A relevant issue why rolling lockout is better is again....thursday one game, then there's three days till a whole bunch are played, then theres a late game that day, then another day for MNF. the games are too spread out, late injuries, etc, play a factor in who one wants to pick.

Liken it to fantasy comps....you have a roster of 17 players, and as the games are played the players on your roster LOCK. Still allows you the opportunity to make late changes, pick someone up from FA, etc.

A relevant issue why rolling lockout is better is again....thursday one game, then there's three days till a whole bunch are played, then theres a late game that day, then another day for MNF. the games are too spread out, late injuries, etc, play a factor in who one wants to pick.

Liken it to fantasy comps....you have a roster of 17 players, and as the games are played the players on your roster LOCK. Still allows you the opportunity to make late changes, pick someone up from FA, etc.
No doubt the rolling lockout has merit. Even for the above point, as a thought, I considered suggesting locking the Monday game with the Sunday games, but a lot can happen in 24 hours where people would NEED to make a change for the late game.

While it can be disadvantageous, it's part of AE and we're all bound by the same rules.

Last edited:
I could have finished higher but the last three weeks I went for a lot of hail marys to make up ground. Not disappointed with 19th position but.

I think we should get some feedback polls going while things are still fresh.

Which comps were liked and which weren't liked.

I didn't really like Hot Streak. It seems to be the kind of comp you need to be ultra conservative with and I'm just not happy with rewarding those that tip safe safe safe.

Even though I qualified for HRS I still don't really like it. I guess it should stay though as it doesn't take too much away from the other prizes.

I got a bit hurt by DZE trying to flip MNF games to win ND. Although I guess I can't complain too much as many of those flips came off for me. Perhaps it should start a little later though to keep things interesting? I mean everybody is still well in the main comps when it started this season so hard to focus on it then once you're out of everything else the chance to focus on something like DZE is already come and gone.

Perhaps scrap the 4th place CR prize to allocate more money elsewhere? To me it feels like too much in the CR pile which is the comp which rewards safe tipping the most of all.

Woodson would be interested if you had any comment or if you have any specific questions you would like to ask for feedback?

I don't necessarily buy into the advantage of being ultra conservative 'safe-safe-safe' because as everybody knows, UPSETS in the NFL are common… they're called 'trap games'.. many of the games (75%) are 50/50 at best. That's the challenge right there!!! Broken wanted this comp implemented last season.. it didn't get much love last year (poorly promoted??). Divisional games are tough to pick on any given day and we all know Inter-conference games can be just as tricky. Many struggled with getting an extended run of weeks of continual winners. :p The great thing about Hot Streak is that it's completely a stand alone comp meaning no correlation with CR and doesn't have a similar challenge like other comps. It's on going where one bad week doesn't mean you're eliminated and next week is a new chance to re-group. New strategy.

HRS is about giving anyone a shot of winning. You happen to fall short by just two miserly points. Shouldda had more CR for MNF. ;)
I find it amusing that not many of the Top TEN qualify for this comp.

We decided to expand the prize monies for CR because: Volume increased over the years and it allowed those on the bubble for a late lunge which has occurred on three occasions with the likes of TheGreatBarryB , BeLikeMike and Chism barnstorming in the closing weeks. If you extract that fourth prize… means MORe No shows. :thumbsdown: HATE No Shows! :mad:

I don't necessarily buy into the advantage of being ultra conservative 'safe-safe-safe' because as everybody knows, UPSETS in the NFL are common… they're called 'trap games'.. many of the games (75%) are 50/50 at best. That's the challenge right there!!! Broken wanted this comp implemented last season.. it didn't get much love last year (poorly promoted??). Divisional games are tough to pick on any given day and we all know Inter-conference games can be just as tricky. Many struggled with getting an extended run of weeks of continual winners. :p The great thing about Hot Streak is that it's completely a stand alone comp meaning no correlation with CR and doesn't have a similar challenge like other comps. It's on going where one bad week doesn't mean you're eliminated and next week is a new chance to re-group. New strategy.

HRS is about giving anyone a shot of winning. You happen to fall short by just two miserly points. Shouldda had more CR for MNF. ;)
I find it amusing that not many of the Top TEN qualify for this comp.

We decided to expand the prize monies for CR because: Volume increased over the years and it allowed those on the bubble for a late lunge which has occurred on three occasions with the likes of TheGreatBarryB , BeLikeMike and Chism barnstorming in the closing weeks. If you extract that fourth prize… means MORe No shows. :thumbsdown: HATE No Shows! :mad:

Agree re: Hot Streak.

If it was just a fav fav fav comp then there would have been more than 2 winners of it.

Avoiding the favourite/game that everyone bombs their streak on is the key to success. Playing it 'safe' won't win you it thats for sure. 17 weeks and the best streak we could collectively come up with was 18.

Broken did a fantastic job promoting it this year by the way and should be commended on his updates. :thumbsu:

Thanks Woodson, JeffDunne, peterbuch74, GG.exe, Broken, bgt2110 and balmainforever for putting together another great year.

Personal best season for myself though I still can't seem to get anywhere in Next Duel which is my favourite comp (God knows why)

Also a special tip of the hat to everyone who participates week in, week out regardless of your position in these competitions. The main reason these competitions remain exciting for the duration of the season.

Thought I'd pimp your 'CR like' AFL version of AE... still running it this year Bucketss? I wanna be involved (strictly as as a participant).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back