Mega Thread Official Suns Trade Period Thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

He is an unrestricted free agent, so wont cost us anything in a trade.I haven't ever really seen him play what are peoples opinions on him? Seems like he has good leadership qualities as well something important in senior players.

Asked Hawk fans what they thought. Shut down defender on medium small forwards and does this role very well.

May not be the most gifted, but he tries his guts out all the time. Very very good leader. Everyone their thought he would be perfect for us. Sets the example with his 100% efforts. On and off the field.

I am warming to this very much. Appears he is a free agent as well!

Asked Hawk fans what they thought. Shut down defender on medium small forwards and does this role very well.

May not be the most gifted, but he tries his guts out all the time. Very very good leader. Everyone their thought he would be perfect for us. Sets the example with his 100% efforts. On and off the field.

Sounds good, will allow Seby's knee to recover, but once he is back would allow us to free up Stanley (assuming the club does its job and re-signs him) and let Harbrow to rebound without having to be as accountable on the small forward. Wouldn't mind the club have a dip with free agency as well.:thumbsu:

Hey guys, sorry to intrude but just like to give you my thoughts on Tom Murphy. He's an 189cm defender who usually takes the small-medium forwards. He has played on tall forwards before but not very well so if you guys pick him up, best to play him on small-medium forwards where he does his best work. He isn't the best footballer around but he does the team role and you always know what you're going to get from him. He didn't manage a lot of games in 2012 and personally I thought he was very stiff to miss the Grand Final this year after a very good game against Adelaide in the Preliminary Final. He's part of the leadership group on Hawthorn so you'll be getting good leadership too if you guys pick him up.

Jesus. If we pick up Murphy, it just means our delisted will grow doesn't it? Who are we getting rid of for this guy?
Maybe Mav Weller?? The club seems to want him to play on those small forwards and it is obviously not his strength but you cant's see him breaking into the midfield group. He finished off the season well and is personally one of my favourite players because of his attack on the ball but his manager mentioned he is looking around and Ashcroft has thrown his name around once or twice before as a possible player to move on next season.

Hey guys, sorry to intrude but just like to give you my thoughts on Tom Murphy. He's an 189cm defender who usually takes the small-medium forwards. He has played on tall forwards before but not very well so if you guys pick him up, best to play him on small-medium forwards where he does his best work. He isn't the best footballer around but he does the team role and you always know what you're going to get from him. He didn't manage a lot of games in 2012 and personally I thought he was very stiff to miss the Grand Final this year after a very good game against Adelaide in the Preliminary Final. He's part of the leadership group on Hawthorn so you'll be getting good leadership too if you guys pick him up.

Thanks for the input,
Mate just so we can get a bit of a gauge on him, which player was taking his spot in the best 22 this past season?

Thanks for the input,
Mate just so we can get a bit of a gauge on him, which player was taking his spot in the best 22 this past season?

I'd say Stratton would be the one keeping him out, considering Murphy managed most of his games in 2011 when Stratton was injured.

Thanks for the input,
Stratten has probably taken over his role in the last 24 months. Guerra's hammy injury saw Murphy initially come into the side for the preliminary, but Hodge's return saw him pushed out. With Lake's inclusion next year, Murph fall one spot back again (Burgoyne, Lake, Guerra, Birchall, Shoenmakers, Gibson, Stratton are the seven fighting for six spots) so rather than being 7th best like this season, he'd go eighth best. It Murph does go, I'd wish him all the best and be right behind the Suns with a couple of ex Hawks in their family.

seems we could get tom murphy within a couple of days

Will be a fantastic pick up for the suns. He's been a whipping boy for a long time at Hawthorn but I'm sure he won over a lot of fans last year. His biggest asset is his leadership which he has so much of, and he is very much respected at Hawthorn having won our clubman of the year (last year I think?). He goes in hard and will play his guts out for the club. Personally I think he should of played in the Grand Final ahead of Ellis. Was one of our best in the reserves all year and when did come in to the Senior Side he didn't put a foot wrong, just unfortunate that he's the 23rd man.

If you guys do get him then I'd be more then happy for Murphy to go up where his work ethic and leadership might rub onto some of your younger defenders. Plus he deserves a holiday up in the Sun after all he's given us :)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Would be very happy with Tom Murphy. Suggested him in the trade ideas thread back in September as a possible fringe best 22 player we could target so obviously Ashcroft/Clayton are reading our posts and we deserve a "finders fee" ;)

Will be 27yo by the start of next season, so could easily provide 3+yrs valuable service. Brings many positives to the team. Doesn't need to be the flashiest player, as long as he improves our backline structure and helps the development of our kids, which he will. Hope it pans out.

Would prefer we picked up Murphy over all the other defenders mentioned (Gilham, Bower, Silvagni etc). I've liked his game for a few years now and thought he was a bit unlucky at Hawthorn. Like some have said he struggles on the big forwards but that is not his go. We don't want him, Bock, Warnock and Co hogging all the KPFs anyway, we need to get games into Thommo, Dicko, Schade etc. on the big opponent forwards. Murphy will improve our depth in the back half until our younger guys are ready to play out a whole season. Could free up Bull to go forward again. Hope we get him.

Would welcome Tom murphy at the club I'm an inaugural member at. Class act, leader, versatile, and offers depth for our developing list. A Type of player we don't have right now in his game style.

23rd man for hawks in gf shows his talent.

Just came in here to say that you guys would not regret picking up Murph. Can pretty much be relied upon to shut down a small/medium forward every week and his offensive skills have improved whilst still being pretty limited. He hasn't made as many skill errors in the last couple years and his decision making has seemed to improve quite a bit since he was forced to play full back in 09. Also very high praises within the club about his attitude, leadership and generally reported to be a great guy who can play a role in a footy side well without ever really being the type of player to get a brownlow vote.

Just unfortunate for him that Stratton and Burgoyne have taken over his role this year because he deserves to be in the best 22 of a football club

Turned massively off Silvagni after his Adelaide game where he got dominated by Tex Walker. It's not the fact he got dominated by Tex, which happens to plenty of defenders. It's just the way he reacted.

I mean, compare him to our own Matthew Warnock when he geats beaten. Warnock will swear loudly, then push and shove his opponents jersey, grasping it tightly to let him know he's still there. He'll fire up. Aggressive.

Silvagni however looked like he was about to cry. Genuinely upset, smacked across his face. Hands on his hips, no body contact, nothing. And for a forward like Tex, that's prime motivation to keep more goals.

So yeah. Turned way off him. If rumours are true.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back