Oh Canada

Remove this Banner Ad

Hey peeps

I'm heading to Canada, the frozen freezing land of Winnipeg, probably in the depths of their winter for employment, family and my Canadian fiance....

Here's my issue. My family and my fiancee have experienced it most of their lives -- so explaining it to someone who has never been there before is proving exceptionally difficult.

When I get there it will be in the low to mid -20s (yes, that's minus 20 degrees celsius) if not colder. Obviously coming from the Australian summer it's going to be difficult enough as it is.

I have lived in the US previously but it was never THAT cold where I lived. What I really am desperate to find out really;

1 - What type of clothing can I start looking for NOW so that I have a day or so worth of clothing ready for when I get there (I can do the rest of my shopping there, but I can't exactly walk out into that weather wearing Aussie summer clothing).

2 - What they were completely stuck on explaining is (because they're used to it, have dealt with it their entire lives) tips on surviving that type of weather as someone who has never experienced it.

Thanks all

I lived in Edmonton for a while and have been back often because my wife is from there. They have the same type of weather. I don't mind it but but we decided Vancouver is more for us. It's about -12 over there at the moment and 10 degrees here. The coldest I have experienced is -37.

It is hard to describe but I don't think it's as bad as most Australian's would imagine. In the praries it is very dry so the sun will be out but the air will have some real bite. Clothes from Australia are fine but you just have to layer them. I'd wear something like a T-shirt, light jacket, leather jacket and maybe a windbreaker. Fleece is your friend. Stuff from Kathmandu is very good. You can't do much about the legs so just a good pair of jeans will do. It's more about keeping your core warm. Obviously good quality scarf, Explorer socks, gloves and beanie (or tuque as they call them). I find Thinsulate stuff works well.

You might need some chapstick or hand cream because, like I said, when it's that cold the air is extremely dry. Also, it sounds obvious but don't go outside after a shower with your hair still wet. It will freeze to the point you can snap it off ;) You'll adapt to it fairly quickly. Most of the time you'll be avoiding outside anyway so you just need stuff to get from A to B. Most in people in the praries even have remote car starters so the car will be heated before you get in. It will be a shock, but you'll be right. Good luck with the move!

Winterpeg is one of the worst Cities in the world. Another cold city around that Area Minneapolis is one of the worlds best kept secrets.

go to the USA first to experience the "warmer" weather, then travell up through buffalo, onto Toronto, Ottawa. Montreal, etc to get used to it and buy some ski wear (at MUCH cheaper prices).

Call it your pre-honey moon

How would the bf folk living in Canada rate Ottawa as a city to live on a temporary basis or to visit?

I was in Ottawa on exchange and in my opinion its the best place in the world, the people are amazing and its so pretty. But I always advise friends who go over there to just go for a day or so, theres not that much going on. I had the time of my life there and made so many friends so i love going back there, but when i move back to Canada in a few years, Im picking a new city for a different experience.

So basically, to live - yes its a great place. To visit- you might not find it so interesting.

First day there, just bring a big jumper or coat, a beanie, gloves and some thermals. Then buy a winter coat and boots there. I only wore my thermals the first day there, and it was around minus 20. After that, once you're wearing the winter clothes you bought there, you wont even notice the cold, you get used to it really quickly.

I was in Ottawa on exchange and in my opinion its the best place in the world, the people are amazing and its so pretty. But I always advise friends who go over there to just go for a day or so, theres not that much going on. I had the time of my life there and made so many friends so i love going back there, but when i move back to Canada in a few years, Im picking a new city for a different experience.

So basically, to live - yes its a great place. To visit- you might not find it so interesting.
Exchange is exactly why I ask. Carleton University ftw.

Toronto is seriously awesome. It had a big city feel (i know it is) but there is room to move. The women, yes all of them are just...yey...

Recently returned from Toronto, Montreal and Quebec City.
Toronto is very liveable, Montreal has a nice mixture of young and old history and Quebec City is a must see for a couple of days!!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I just got back as well. In a few years might live there but I do have a US passport which I can use.

Vancouver was ok...personally I didn't rate it...too many Homeless people asking you for money the sky train was brilliant though. Toronto was absolutely ****in sick I endorse that city.

Vancouver was ok...personally I didn't rate it...too many Homeless people asking you for money.

Got to stay away from East Hastings. They all stay to that one spot pretty much. It's one of the biggest slums in North America. Homeless people move there from around the country because Vancouver is much warmer than other places. In fact, a few years ago Alberta's premier bought all the homeless people in the province a one-way ticket to Vancouver.

simpsons-winnipeg.jpg

LOL -- that's kinda hilarious.

My partner works for a pharmacy that takes orders and stuff over the telephone.

I love it.

I want to go to Vancouver

I love it there. A lot. I even want to move there. I've been twice already, and will be going again in January. I think it is a fantastic city, easy to navigate, public transport system is good (well, just about any public transport system is good compared to Perth), weather is mild compared to other Canadian cities (although it rains a lot in winter), and the scenery around south-western BC is absolutely fantastic. I took some time driving up Highway 99 to Whistler. The scenery in that area (especially around Horseshoe Bay) is gorgeous. I've yet to take the trip across the Rockies to Alberta to see Lake Louise, but from the pictures I've seen of it - that's arguably the most beautiful place in the world.

Vancouver is nice to visit. Don't know that I'd want to live there though.

Awesome I was just about to make a thread..

I seriously struggling to decide between which Canadian city to spend some time in...I've got a financial background and have been throwing around the idea of the following cities:

Vancouver: Great skiing, beautiful city, beautiful girls..however..Seems to shut down after work and lacks the night life

Calgary: Great skiing, good job prospects..however..terrible nightlife/social scene (So I've heard) and its a massive dude ranch apparently.

Toronto: Big city, great guy to girl ratio, good job prospects, great downtown..however poor skiing

Can't split them..Van for the dream, Calgary to be responsible, Toronto for the experience..arggh

Can't split them..Van for the dream, Calgary to be responsible, Toronto for the experience..arggh

That's a tough one. It kind of depends what industry you are in. Definitely heaps of work in Alberta but I'd probably say Toronto would be your best bet because it probably offers a bit more. Most companies have head offices over there and the city is supposed to be pretty vibrant. Vancouver is a smaller city and more laid back.

Toronto is great, St Johns Newfoundland though is awesome!

I love it there. A lot. I even want to move there. I've been twice already, and will be going again in January. I think it is a fantastic city, easy to navigate, public transport system is good (well, just about any public transport system is good compared to Perth), weather is mild compared to other Canadian cities (although it rains a lot in winter), and the scenery around south-western BC is absolutely fantastic. I took some time driving up Highway 99 to Whistler. The scenery in that area (especially around Horseshoe Bay) is gorgeous. I've yet to take the trip across the Rockies to Alberta to see Lake Louise, but from the pictures I've seen of it - that's arguably the most beautiful place in the world.

The drive from Jasper to Banff via Lake Louise on the Icefields Parkway is the most beautiful scenery I have ever seen.

The Rockies are exceptional from British Columbia/Alberta in Canada and then into the USA via the states of Montana, Wyoming (inc Yellowstone NP and the Grand Tetons), Colorado. Have seen nothing better than it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back