Ok, So 2020 is Officially a Farce.

Remove this Banner Ad

Mark McGowan set the guidelines out. AFL refused to meet them. That was the issue first and foremost. Gil put his own demands over peoples jobs

If you think giving up 100s and thousands of seated tickets revenue so Eddie McGuires son can drink a lemon and lime bitter by the beach then thats OK with me. I wont join you though

Gil literally sacked 20% of his workforce so he could have spring break on the Gold Coast at the Mercure resort.

It's actually quite twisted and corrupt. This is a CEO of an organisation that threw 20% of the workforce under the bus so he could escape lockdown in Victoria and live it up in the sun.

If he took the $50 million on offer from WA he could have kept many of those people employed until the situation becomes more clear next year.

Gil literally sacked 20% of his workforce so he could have spring break on the Gold Coast at the Mercure resort.

It's actually quite twisted and corrupt. This is a CEO of an organisation that threw 20% of the workforce under the bus so he could escape lockdown in Victoria and live it up in the sun.

If he took the $50 million on offer from WA he could have kept many of those people employed until the situation becomes more clear next year.

$50M?

and where would that come from?

WA committed $0 to the bid. There was no monetary figure involved, McGowan confirmed this. QLD did but we don’t know how much that was. Sure ticket sales at Optus would earn probably $4-6 million more than the Gabba (assuming a $150-$200 higher ticket price at Optus), but overall it’s likely financially, they weren’t that different.

The season has been given credibility for the fact that the ladder looks like how you might expect it. A couple of surprises but that happens every year.

I think the standard of games has suffered though, particularly early in the season the lack of training seemed to make the games scrappy. All the QLD games has also meant the ball is slippery too often.

WA committed $0 to the bid. There was no monetary figure involved, McGowan confirmed this. QLD did but we don’t know how much that was. Sure ticket sales at Optus would earn probably $4-6 million more than the Gabba (assuming a $150-$200 higher ticket price at Optus), but overall it’s likely financially, they weren’t that different.
Well, while Richmond couldn't just give the AFL $100k as a bribe to have the gf played in Qld, Benny told Gil to hold his beer. Nek minut 2 of our borderline players run amok. It's no coincidence.

Agree. Its not even close to a real season. No way in hell Id want the saints to win it ! It will always be an " * " year, no matter how anyone tries to spin it.
Don’t worry the Saints aren’t good enough to win an * premiership anyway

John Worsfold's comments were interesting, if not blatantly obvious already.

If you weren't well drilled, mature mentally and physically, and already well trained to a large degree in your coach's game plan - you never stood a chance in hell this year.

Forget it.

Not a hope.

Teague, Ratten, Longmuir, Shaw, Nicks.

Not even a hint of a chance to build and develop a game plan with your squad. You can't even train together FFS!!

Let's be honest, we all knew it. But now it's fact. This season was, and remains, one that could only ever be won by a mature and experienced team that had spent at least 2-3 years learning their coach's game plan.

It's been great, and really entertaining to punters like myself - but in reality, it was only ever going to won by 3-4 teams.

In hindsight, this probably should have been a season with a top 4 instead of a top 8.
Teague has made Carlton Competitive with a bunch of kids.

Longmuir has also made freo semi decent with a bunch of kids as well.

The season has been given credibility for the fact that the ladder looks like how you might expect it. A couple of surprises but that happens every year.

I think the standard of games has suffered though, particularly early in the season the lack of training seemed to make the games scrappy. All the QLD games has also meant the ball is slippery too often.

Agreed. There’s no team in the top 8 that is surprising to me. There might have been a couple of spots different; Collingwood for instance would probably in a better position, but in general it’s pretty expected.

I’m not sure I agree with this.

Based on what I’ve seen, the best and most consistent football this year has been played by Geelong, Richmond, and maybe West Coast.

They’re all around the mark, but behind Brisbane and Port who have also been good, but benefitted from some advantages along the way that have helped.

Beyond that, Hawthorn seem to have copped the rough end of things a bit with fixturing and it’s mattered. Adelaide probably also.

But in the end, it’s just bloody great they managed to get a season together despite all the challenges. And it does t have to be fair and equal to be entertaining. Finals will possibly sort it out too, and if not, the league is arguably just as interesting if Brisbane/Port get a ‘lucky’ premiership.

I’m not sure I agree with this.

Based on what I’ve seen, the best and most consistent football this year has been played by Geelong, Richmond, and maybe West Coast.

They’re all around the mark, but behind Brisbane and Port who have also been good, but benefitted from some advantages along the way that have helped.

Beyond that, Hawthorn seem to have copped the rough end of things a bit with fixturing and it’s mattered. Adelaide probably also.

But in the end, it’s just bloody great they managed to get a season together despite all the challenges. And it does t have to be fair and equal to be entertaining. Finals will possibly sort it out too, and if not, the league is arguably just as interesting if Brisbane/Port get a ‘lucky’ premiership.
Despite playing virtually the whole season on the road, Richmond and Geelong will still take some beating come finals time. If Port or Brissy can manage this, it'll be a very deserved flag.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back