Summer Olympic Sports in between Olympics thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

This has come as a shock to me. I remember watching her at Beijing and being really impressed. Only 16!

Alysa Liu, a 2022 Olympian and world championships bronze medalist, is retiring from competitive figure skating at age 16.
Considered the future of US women’s skating and already a two-time national champion, Liu posted her decision Saturday on Instagram.

“This skating thing has taught me a lot more about life than i anticipated. i’m really glad i skated.”

And skated better than any American woman at such a young age.

Using the triple axel that few US women have landed successfully, Liu won her first national title in 2019 at age 13, and repeated the next year. She was too young to compete internationally on the senior level, however, and remained a force as a junior, getting comfortable with quadruple jumps as well.

Everyone keeps comparing Erriyon Knighton to Usain
In the 200m at least. And rightly so. Was a great effort as a 17 year old to come 4th last year in Tokyo.

Bolt didn't run the 100m much until 2008 and then he went crazy. Bolt was 21 in 2008. His World Athletics profile shows Bolt's first 100m time was in 2007 in his progression profile.

Bolt went to the 2004 Athens Olympics with a best time of 19.93 the same time Knington ran in Tokyo final, but Bolt was injured going into Athens and didn't get past the first round.

Knighton is 18 and his best 100m time is 10.04. Will be interesting to see what he does come Paris and LA.

Re the Olympics, can I just say in regard to John Coates leaving as Australia's Olympic Head Honcho........................

F*** off, f*ing well f* off, and I hope I never hear from you again.
Unfortunately it takes a tough prick to convince the IOC to vote Sydney over Beijing and then get another Olympics 32 years later to Oz for a 2nd or 3rd tiered world city, in winter, after the Olympics has gone to Beijing, London, Rio, Tokyo, Paris, Los Angeles and then Brisbane. One of these doesn't really belong in that chain.

Coates is one of these polarising figures. You either love/respect what he has achieved or hate him for his bulldozer tactics.

Bunch of Aussies competing in Tokyo at the Golden Grand Prix meet tomorrow arvo.

100m Browning Doran
400m Beck
Steeple Buckingham
110m Hurdles Hough
HJ Starc
LJ Mitrevski Frayne

200m Beecher
1500m Griffith
JAV Barber

Jacinta Beecher who ran two 200m PBs last week in Japan to become #9 Aussie of all time will be looking to lock in a World Champs/Comm Games berth. Newish Dad Brandon Starc is also back in only his second competition since the Olympics.

Those of us who are 'vpn Kiwis' and refuse to pay for Foxtel can watch it for free on the World Athletics YT Channel from about 3pm.

Barber & Beecher taking placings in their event. Beck running a decent race.

Rohan (the commentators pronouncing his name as if he was a country from Lord of the Rings, rather than 'Rowan') winning his 100m heat and Jake will make the final even though he didn't run that well.

Usually it's female athletes who struggle to comeback after motherhood, but Brandon Starc is taking some time to get back into form after fatherhood. Couldn't get over 2.24m today.

Rebecca McConnell finished 28th in Tokyo, in the Women's Cross Country Mountain Bike event.

She has won 2 World Cup events in 2022, her first ever almost a month ago. XCO = Cross Country Olympic event.

Last edited:
The Australian Swimming Championships commence in Adelaide on Wednesday and will be the main selection trial for the World Championships (June) & Commonwealth Games (July). Most Australians will aim to peak at the Comm Games and those competing at the Worlds will probably 'train through' that event.

A number of stars will be missing (Emma McKeon, Cate Campbell, Jack McLoughlin) while Kyle Chalmers has opted out of freestyle events and will only compete in the 50 & 100m Butterfly. Ariarne Titmus (who has made herself unavailable for World Champs) have opted out of her specialty events to try and gain a place in Australia's 4x100m freestyle relay team in Birmingham. Her goal this season is obviously to try and win five Comm Games golds.

Australia's current Commonwealth Games selection policy allows Olympic medallists from Tokyo to skip the trials and still earn selection.

There are a bunch of young up & comers to look out for:

FLYNN SOUTHAM (16) - has already broken Kyle Chalmers' 100m Freestyle age record and is close to Ian Thorpe's 200m record

WILLIAM PETRIC (17) - fast improving in a number of events - mainly 200IM & 200m Breast

NIAMH BEDGGOOD (16) - Female breaststroke has been weak in Australia since the Liesl Jones era. Bedgood's 100m times are dropping fast and she skipped the National Age Championships to have a crack at making the Comm Games team

There are other young improvers too but the above three have probably the best chances to make the team. No doubt there will be some other surprises at the trials - there always are.

Coverage is on Amazon Prime and first-time subscribers get a free month's trial so you can sign up for $0 and cancel before any payment is required. This is what I did last year and the coverage was terrific (Nicole Stevenson one of the best commentators in the world). I'll be happy to pay the fee (for a month anyway) this year.

Last edited:
Good first day in the swimming.

Besides young Mollie O going great guns in the 100 Free (and others showing that despite the absence of the Campbells & Emma McKeon Australia is still to be feared in the 4x100 relay), I was especially impressed with Lani Pallister. Daughter of Janelle Ellford seemed to have been treading water for the last season or so but an 8-17 in the 800m Free shows she will soon be contending for world medals.

Cody Simpson too showing that he is not some pop star just looking for a bit of extra publicity.

I was doubting Pallister would ever set another PB after not going one since 2019 junior world championships. Glad she's managaged to get the ball rolling again.

Impressive performance by Cody. I didn't think he would make it.

Some story on news.com suggesting Kyle might accept his 100 fly spot at World Champs, denying Cody a spot. Bit strange I think. Kyle (and others like Ariarne) who have said they will not compete at WC should maybe swim in relays at WC but train through and save themselves for individual events at Comm Games.

I mean - honestly - a relay swim or three - while they are training through - isn't gonna kill em.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Some story on news.com suggesting Kyle might accept his 100 fly spot at World Champs, denying Cody a spot. Bit strange I think. Kyle (and others like Ariarne) who have said they will not compete at WC should maybe swim in relays at WC but train through and save themselves for individual events at Comm Games.

I mean - honestly - a relay swim or three - while they are training through - isn't gonna kill em.
Disappointing for Cody if he misses out

Which of the stars have said no WC for me, but yes please to the Comm Games?

I thought they got exemptions for the trials in their events, but are going to the WC.

Or do you mean individual events, not individual swimmers?

Which of the stars have said no WC for me, but yes please to the Comm Games?

Kyle Chalmers (at least until yesterday) & Titmus. They can skip trials and get selected for Comm Games but for WC they need to swim trials.

Last night's races were a little bit underwhelming until Zac got the job done.

Events like W 100m Fly showed that with one star missing (Emma McKeon) our standards are pretty low. Unlike W 100m Free where with three stars missing, our standard is very high.

Kyle Chalmers (at least until yesterday) & Titmus. They can skip trials and get selected for Comm Games but for WC they need to swim trials.

Last night's races were a little bit underwhelming until Zac got the job done.

Events like W 100m Fly showed that with one star missing (Emma McKeon) our standards are pretty low. Unlike W 100m Free where with three stars missing, our standard is very high.
I believe Emma McKeon has also said yes too Comm Games but not to Worlds.

One comment I found interesting from Kyle was his comment about the sport being a cut throat individual sport considering the team culture that the Dolphins have been cultivating over a long period of time. I also found his comment about the other competitors in the race when asked about Cody quite weird given Cody had been the only one who actually met the qualification requirements and therefore was actually effected by Kyle’s change of mind. It made me wonder if there’s some bad blood between Kyle and Cody.

I believe Emma McKeon has also said yes too Comm Games but not to Worlds.

One comment I found interesting from Kyle was his comment about the sport being a cut throat individual sport considering the team culture that the Dolphins have been cultivating over a long period of time. I also found his comment about the other competitors in the race when asked about Cody quite weird given Cody had been the only one who actually met the qualification requirements and therefore was actually effected by Kyle’s change of mind. It made me wonder if there’s some bad blood between Kyle and Cody.
Cody is dating Emma ( Kyle's ex) so maybe that has something to do with Kyle's comments

Cody is dating Emma ( Kyle's ex) so maybe that has something to do with Kyle's comments
Oh dear. We just got done with the Seebohm/Larkin saga, are we now going to replace that with the Chalmers/McKeon/Simpson one?

I really hope though that jealousy isn’t what’s driving Kyle’s decision making because it’s only going to hurt himself in the long run, though listening to Kyle last night it did seem like his animosity to Cody was a factor.

Oh dear. We just got done with the Seebohm/Larkin saga, are we now going to replace that with the Chalmers/McKeon/Simpson one?

I really hope though that jealousy isn’t what’s driving Kyle’s decision making because it’s only going to hurt himself in the long run, though listening to Kyle last night it did seem like his animosity to Cody was a factor.
Just hear Kyle's comments and I get the impression Cody is the main factor. Kyle sounded like he was entitled to be part of the WC because he has been swimming for a long time, well Cody also worked hard to make WC.

Kyle has been shacked with Maddi Wilson for around 3 years, she moved to Adelaide to be with him, well before the Olympics. Would seem strange if there are jealousies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back