Betstar Champions Cup Om season 2018

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Navy, i never said you and other administrators of the lower leagues dont do a good job. You provide a platform for blokes of our ability to have a kick on the weekends.
What im saying is that money from lower levels is drawing people away from a standard of footy most parents would prefer to see thier sons to have a crack at. I for one am alot prouder of my mates getting a game of O&M 1s, then i am of mates playing lower league rep footy. Just because you know they are taking the softer option that is made appealing mostly by the lure of bush cash.

Also you have no idea of any voluntary and fundraising activities that i partake in so lets leave the personal stuff till Sunday.
I reckon the main reason why footballers head out to the districts is because O and M clubs act like quasi AFL clubs and the players are sick of the commitment that comes with that.

Navy, i never said you and other administrators of the lower leagues dont do a good job. You provide a platform for blokes of our ability to have a kick on the weekends.
What im saying is that money from lower levels is drawing people away from a standard of footy most parents would prefer to see thier sons to have a crack at. I for one am alot prouder of my mates getting a game of O&M 1s, then i am of mates playing lower league rep footy. Just because you know they are taking the softer option that is made appealing mostly by the lure of bush cash.

Also you have no idea of any voluntary and fundraising activities that i partake in so lets leave the personal stuff till Sunday.

Nope. By age 20 players have been through the rigours of rep footy trying to make it to the actual big show. By then they are sick of it and just looking to get a career under their belt. I'm betting most parents would be happy to see these young players playing somewhere to enjoy their footy, earn some cash to help with costs of uni or getting through an apprenticeship. Most would say you can go to O&M later when established if you want.
wake up things have changed players don't have same view of playing in the major leagues anymore they are more than happy to play in the minor leagues which is less commitment and less serious. ive seem plenty actually gain a lot of leadership experience in those minor leagues as well that they wouldn't get in the O&M.

Major leagues would be better of forming alliances with minor leagues so these players maintain a link with the major league in some capacity. Have special points rules for aligned clubs?

Loving the Discussion.
I think that the OMFNL has to look at adopting a policy of moving towards a competition of Seniors, Under 18's or 19's , and Under 16's, and work towards implementing it by 2020. The senior squad would then farm the players who don't get a game out to aligned district league clubs. The biggest problem now is there aren't as many people playing footy as their once was and by setting up the Major comp in this way will take pressure off all teams in the area competing for the limited players around. It also allows the players looking to play in a more elite structured competition to do so. The OMFNLs biggest mistake was not going ahead and setting up a U16s competition years ago. We can all sit on here and talk s**t about eachothers leagues in the area ( and i suppose that kind of is what bigfooty is for) but without the administrators and boards of all the leagues coming together and looking forward to what needs to be done and making some tough calls footy in the North East will continue to go on the same path it is at the moment and that is standards dropping and teams folding and merging.

Marc Almond to coach CR. Thoughts?
I applaud him. He's going to find out if he can actually coach, unlike Shaun Daly who could have had the job at his original O&M club but took the soft option and chose Albury, where Stevie Wonder could walk in (obviously with his guide dog) and become a premiership coach.

Lots of twists and turns in this season. I have changed my tips too many times to count. You would think that Albury are the only side locked in and the remaining 4 spots in the 5 will be fought out amongst 6 teams although the Saints have only a remote chance after yesterday's loss.
Yarra look the goods but they play 5 of the other finals contenders in the last 5 games. They are 2 games clear of Wodonga who are 6th but play the 3 bottom sides in the run home.
Wodonga have lost 3 of the last 4 with losses against Saints, Raiders & Albury.
Raiders have won their last 5 inc the last 3 against Wang, Wodonga & Saints.
Saints have lost to Wang, Lavi & Raiders in their last 5 games.
Lavi are hard to get a gauge on with wins against Yarra & Saints on either side of a huge loss to Wodonga.
Assuming everyone will beat the bottom 3, although North are up to causing an upset, I think this is the scenario -
If Raiders beat one of Lavi or Yarra they play finals. Not a given.
If Yarra win 3 of the last 5 games they should be safe. Should be fine.
If Lavi beat one of Albury, Yarra or Raiders they play finals. Will go down to the wire.
If Wang beat one of Lavi, Wodonga or Saints they should make it. You'd think they should be up to it.
Dogs desperately need to beat Wang in Round 15.
I honestly think it will boil down to percentage on the last game. Going into that round I think Raiders, Lavi will be on 44 points and I think the Dogs will be on 40. I think Dogs will be sweating on taking the place of either Lavi or Raiders on the final siren of the final game but will need to cause an upset and beat Yarra to do it.

Lots of twists and turns in this season. I have changed my tips too many times to count. You would think that Albury are the only side locked in and the remaining 4 spots in the 5 will be fought out amongst 6 teams although the Saints have only a remote chance after yesterday's loss.
Yarra look the goods but they play 5 of the other finals contenders in the last 5 games. They are 2 games clear of Wodonga who are 6th but play the 3 bottom sides in the run home.
Wodonga have lost 3 of the last 4 with losses against Saints, Raiders & Albury.
Raiders have won their last 5 inc the last 3 against Wang, Wodonga & Saints.
Saints have lost to Wang, Lavi & Raiders in their last 5 games.
Lavi are hard to get a gauge on with wins against Yarra & Saints on either side of a huge loss to Wodonga.
Assuming everyone will beat the bottom 3, although North are up to causing an upset, I think this is the scenario -
If Raiders beat one of Lavi or Yarra they play finals. Not a given.
If Yarra win 3 of the last 5 games they should be safe. Should be fine.
If Lavi beat one of Albury, Yarra or Raiders they play finals. Will go down to the wire.
If Wang beat one of Lavi, Wodonga or Saints they should make it. You'd think they should be up to it.
Dogs desperately need to beat Wang in Round 15.
I honestly think it will boil down to percentage on the last game. Going into that round I think Raiders, Lavi will be on 44 points and I think the Dogs will be on 40. I think Dogs will be sweating on taking the place of either Lavi or Raiders on the final siren of the final game but will need to cause an upset and beat Yarra to do it.
Sounds very similar to the Final Round last Season

Anyone else see the pictures on the border mail site of a Bulldogs players (don't know who he is) collecting Packer of Albury with what looks like a pretty flush elbow to the chin?
I'm assuming it either didn't look as bad on the day and didn't make the video for it to avoid a report or review.

Anyone else see the pictures on the border mail site of a Bulldogs players (don't know who he is) collecting Packer of Albury with what looks like a pretty flush elbow to the chin?
I'm assuming it either didn't look as bad on the day and didn't make the video for it to avoid a report or review.
Where do you find them mate?

Anyone get a look at the Wang Derby on Sunday? The paper said Wang dominated the first and last qtrs and Rovers held their own in the middle two qtrs. What are the answers for Rovers? They have really struggled to recruit for a while now and their young guys are taking a beating week in week out.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Anyone get a look at the Wang Derby on Sunday? The paper said Wang dominated the first and last qtrs and Rovers held their own in the middle two qtrs. What are the answers for Rovers? They have really struggled to recruit for a while now and their young guys are taking a beating week in week out.
I don't think there should be any pressure on Rovers to climb the ladder. As long as they are getting teams on the paddock I think they may be wise to save their pennies until the top end of the comp comes back to the pack. What's the point of spending any more. No difference between finishing 3rd and 10th in my opinion. I will grant that making a Grand Final would be a highlight even though the risk of trying too hard could send a Club broke.

I don't think there should be any pressure on Rovers to climb the ladder. As long as they are getting teams on the paddock I think they may be wise to save their pennies until the top end of the comp comes back to the pack. What's the point of spending any more. No difference between finishing 3rd and 10th in my opinion. I will grant that making a Grand Final would be a highlight even though the risk of trying too hard could send a Club broke.

Because eventually players want to play in some wins or they start to question why they commit their time and effort.
I kind of agree with what yor saying regarding saving some pennies, no point spending every cent you make to finish 8th.

Because eventually players want to play in some wins or they start to question why they commit their time and effort.
I kind of agree with what yor saying regarding saving some pennies, no point spending every cent you make to finish 8th.

And when you are sitting on the bottom of the ladder it makes it very hard to recruit for the next season. If you are down the bottom your crowd drops away and therefore gate and canteen/bar takings are down. You just cant say stuff it we will lie down for a few years its to hard to get back up, you have to stay competitive.

Where do you find them mate?

It was in a gallery of pics from the weekend of sport around the region. If I can find a link I'll post it. I tried to upload pics yesterday but the files are too big apparently.

IMG_7837.PNG Here's one.

It probably doesn't look so bad by itself, but with the frame before and after it looks a bit worse.

So Lavi have announced Sakers replacement. A really good get by all reports.
Who does that leave without a Coach locked away for Next Season?
Good get by Lavi by the looks of it. Bit of a shame for Myrtleford that they didn't get on to this bloke. The article says his parents live there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back