Betstar Champions Cup OMFL 2024 Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

2002, the one that got away, we went in favourites, beat NA only a fortnight prior. Had some aging body’s, Stabber was over 40, Pas, Matty Allen and Walker all would’ve been over 35. Big Karlos had just come back in to town from Glenrowan, polled well in the league count, best half back flanker I’ve ever seen in the O&M, more than held his own tussling with Bomber Hilton. Our thirds went undefeated for the year, Jamie won the league medal as a 15 year old, Nige, big Alipate, Macca had future stars coming out of his ears. Mullins was floating about, wasn’t quite there at senior level. It still hurts today let me tell you, that’s footy.
Big Larry ,, I hear you .. makes me think and ask ,, players at that age , would they of made the sideS be it 1975 or 1980 , 1985 . 1990 ? Interesting to hear yours and fellow posters opinions !!!

Big Larry ,, I hear you .. makes me think and ask ,, players at that age , would they of made the sideS be it 1975 or 1980 , 1985 . 1990 ? Interesting to hear yours and fellow posters opinions !!!
The standard of the league through the 80s and 90s was of a far higher quality than today. Spargo declared the new age Tigers the greatest of all time, which is a load of bollocks. The Rovers teams from 1988-1994 would completely obliterate Albury Yarrawonga and Wangaratta’s best sides of the past 15 years. Albury’s 1995-1997 sides were far stronger than any of the Tigers modern day teams. The record on paper may not declare this, but the standard across the board had dropped, Albury only had two real contenders from 09-2018, where as the mid 90s, they really had to fight for it. Joel Mackie was a great player, but someone like Glenn Page would’ve made him look second rate.

The standard of the league through the 80s and 90s was of a far higher quality than today. Spargo declared the new age Tigers the greatest of all time, which is a load of bollocks. The Rovers teams from 1988-1994 would completely obliterate Albury Yarrawonga and Wangaratta’s best sides of the past 15 years. Albury’s 1995-1997 sides were far stronger than any of the Tigers modern day teams. The record on paper may not declare this, but the standard across the board had dropped, Albury only had two real contenders from 09-2018, where as the mid 90s, they really had to fight for it. Joel Mackie was a great player, but someone like Glenn Page would’ve made him look second rate.
Agree,, the standard has dropped to some degree ,, and yes Page was a gun

Where does mcmonigle sit in the region of greats?
Was a star. Very laconic and almost didn’t seem interested at times during games. I remember watching the 91 GF at the Wang Showgrounds between Rovers & Yarra where he kicked 7 or 8 I think. At one stage when the ball was being contested in the middle of the ground he was leaning up against the goal post deep in conversation with the goal umpire.

Kicked goals for fun but was never going to have a long career in the O&M with it starting to become a bit more professional in terms of training standards and preparation around that time. But I think he was more than ok with that and had a record most would envy

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A word of advice, don’t dare underestimate the standard of the O&M. We’ve still got men honouring their family name, with a serious thirst for success, get in the way at your own peril. I can tell you now, theres a lot more than just a paycheque on the line. Stevie about to combust over the new recruit, spruiking the recruits fitness levels, as our most recent Mr Fitness recruit showed, you can run all day, but there’s nowhere to hide once you cross that white line.

A word of advice, don’t dare underestimate the standard of the O&M. We’ve still got men honouring their family name, with a serious thirst for success, get in the way at your own peril. I can tell you now, theres a lot more than just a paycheque on the line. Stevie about to combust over the new recruit, spruiking the recruits fitness levels, as our most recent Mr Fitness recruit showed, you can run all day, but there’s nowhere to hide once you cross that white line.
Whoa. I better not under estimate the ovens and Murray. I have a feeling if I did , Larry the standover man would do something about it. 🤣
I love your posts big man, but go easy on the advice

Remove this Banner Ad

Back