FTA-TV Open Mike

Remove this Banner Ad

Feel for Lake.
He's not in a good place at the moment.

Not sure of his circumstances but just imagine those out there who have been cut off from family members, have no job or barely scraping by doing some factory work of some kind, dealing with addiction and mental health issues and only have the government for support. Be a horrible place to be in.

Lake probably has contacts to fall back on (as David Schwarz had) so in time, he has the opportunity to come out of this better than your average person.

you must be new around here - there are two things Mike absolutely loves about his role

- digging into people's soft spots, hoping for tears / breakdown
- asking about how much coin people earn.
Watching someone have a tiz about an incident years in the past is once thing, watching an at risk person breakdown while recounting their suicide attempt from 3 MONTHS AGO is next level and then some.

Or maybe having Dane Swan on in between Boyd and Lake is a subtle pointing towards how a work life balance can improve your mental health. Swans happy and healthy in his life and maybe more AFL footballers should be allowed to enjoy the experience

Yep, that's what I got out of it. It was kinda refreshing to hear a footballer talk about how good it was to play AFL football for a change, all the mates, the interaction in the locker room, the lifestyle, etc. If you listen to the footy media these days, all they focus on are the stresses footballers face and how they struggle to cope with them. Well, there are plenty of people out there in the real world living their own private hell, and they don't have the support network of an AFL player to help deal with them. It was just nice to hear a player who appreciates the advantages for a change.

I especially liked the bit where his friendship with Dustin Martin came up. He said he'd been overseas with Martin five times. Sheehan looks over his specs and says, "So you are friends"?, to which Swan replied, "No, we hate each other".

Feel for Lake.
He's not in a good place at the moment.

Not sure of his circumstances but just imagine those out there who have been cut off from family members, have no job or barely scraping by doing some factory work of some kind, dealing with addiction and mental health issues and only have the government for support. Be a horrible place to be in.

Lake probably has contacts to fall back on (as David Schwarz had) so in time, he has the opportunity to come out of this better than your average person.

I think what’s clear is the Cooney is not that sort of ‘mate’ you want.

Backstabbing bogan.

I think what’s clear is the Cooney is not that sort of ‘mate’ you want.

Backstabbing bogan.
From the sounds of it, neither is Lake. For all we know, Coons has his own dramas. Just because Lake has spoken publicly, doesn't mean he is the victim in the relationship.

Love Cal.

Out of all the players we have lost since I have been old enough to follow the Doggies, he would rank second behind Brown in terms of how much it hurt.

Absolutely love the way he goes about his footy. Seems like a ripper bloke.

I reckon part of the reason would simply be running out of quality guests that we haven't already heard of or guests that are able to give a quality interview.
By the latter I mean people like Ron Barassi. Would have been a fantastic subject years ago but would struggle to give his best nowadays sadly.

By the former - who is really left out there that a) we would want to hear from b) would give an entertaining interview and c) would be known enough to the audience. You can get away with the occasional lesser known if they have a REALLY compelling backstory not many would know (eg Mark Eustice).

There are plenty of very well known names in their home states (eg Barrie Robran in SA or Stephen Michael in WA) but it would depend how well they would rate to the wider population. Some certainly would but once they are exhausted it gets difficult.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why have these stopped?
Sure there's no footy, but it doesn't mean Mike still can't interview someone every week.
It would have rated well too, given the total lack of "fresh" footy content at the moment. Could have made them 1 hour episodes.
An opportunity missed.
I think they are filmed like a couple weeks ahead. So isolation has made it harder and i can't imagine Mike would be great on Zoom.

I reckon part of the reason would simply be running out of quality guests that we haven't already heard of or guests that are able to give a quality interview.
By the latter I mean people like Ron Barassi. Would have been a fantastic subject years ago but would struggle to give his best nowadays sadly.

By the former - who is really left out there that a) we would want to hear from b) would give an entertaining interview and c) would be known enough to the audience. You can get away with the occasional lesser known if they have a REALLY compelling backstory not many would know (eg Mark Eustice).

There are plenty of very well known names in their home states (eg Barrie Robran in SA or Stephen Michael in WA) but it would depend how well they would rate to the wider population. Some certainly would but once they are exhausted it gets difficult.

Have always wondered why Wayne Carey has never been interviewed. Surely he would have been on Mike's list.

I think they are filmed like a couple weeks ahead. So isolation has made it harder and i can't imagine Mike would be great on Zoom.
Why has isolation made it harder?
Fox Footy Live with 3 people around a desk has been on almost every day since the season was put on hold in March 6 weeks ago. So Open Mike in its normal format could have continued. The only possible impact may have been getting on some of the more elderly guests as they are at higher risk for the virus, but there would still have been a heap of other guests under the age of 60 that could have been interviewed.

He's said that any new interviews wouldn't reveal anything new that he hasn't already shared in previous interviews, so he's never seen the point.
He is spot on. What will he talk about? Best player in the league for a fair time/premierships/Anthony&Kelli Stevens/Glenn Archer/going to Adelaide/legal issues. Nothing we haven't heard.

If you go back in this thread, there are dozens of posts of suggested guests that haven't been interviewed yet. Off the top of my head:

Chris Judd, Luke Hodge, Luke Ball, Ross Lyon, Brent Harvey, Dean Cox, Nick Riewoldt, Brad Scott, James Hird, Brendan Fevola..

If you go back in this thread, there are dozens of posts of suggested guests that haven't been interviewed yet. Off the top of my head:

Chris Judd, Luke Hodge, Luke Ball, Ross Lyon, Brent Harvey, Dean Cox, Nick Riewoldt, Brad Scott, James Hird, Brendan Fevola..
Fevola is a bit like Carey in terms of how much of the story do we not already know.

Hird would be worth it though as there is much more than just the last years of his coaching career to talk about. Don't mind a number of the other candidates there.

Barassi would be a great guest, and could cover the whole hour easily.

Some other good guests that Mike could have on:
  • Craig Bradley (Record games holder for Carlton and started his career at Port Adelaide in the SANFL)
  • Gary Dempsey (Brownlow winner and Bulldogs and North player)
  • Peter Daicos (The Macedonian Marvel and renowned for his goalkicker exploits)
  • Shane Crawford (Brownlow winner and played in the 2008 premiership)
  • John Cahill (Port Adelaide legend as a player and coach. Also briefly coached Collingwood in the 80s).
  • Barry Davis (Ex Essendon and North Melbourne player and premiership player with both clubs)
  • Carl Ditterich (St Kilda and Melbourne hardman)
  • Russell Ebert (SANFL legend)
  • Brad Hardie (This would ruffle feathers)
  • Robert Harvey (St Kilda legend and Brownlow winner)
  • Darren Jarman (Goalkicking magician and premiership player for the Hawks and Crows)
  • Alex Jesaulenko (Hall of Fame legend, Carlton premiership player and coach, renowned for his mark in the 1970 GF).
  • Paul Kelly (Swans legend and Brownlow winner)
  • Dean Kemp (Solid Eagles premiership player in the 1990s)
  • Chris Langford (Hawthorn premiership player and backman)
  • Nigel Lappin (Brisbane premiership player and renowned for playing in the 2003 GF with broken ribs)
  • Michael Long (Essendon premiership player and renowned for his off field work with Indigenous Australians).
  • Ross Lyon (Player and coach of multiple clubs)
  • Mick Malthouse (Been a few years since he's coached, so maybe his perspective has changed on things).
  • Peter Matera (West Coast legend)
  • Peter McKenna (Collingwood goalkicking legend)
  • Ian Nankervis (Geelong legend who played with the club from 1967 to 1983)
  • John Nicholls (Carlton and Hall of Fame legend)
  • Michael O'Loughlin (Swans player who played 303 games and kicked 521 goals)
  • Bernie Quinlan (Goalkicking legend of the 1970s)
  • Don Pyke (West Coast premiership player and Adelaide coach)
  • Richardson brothers (Wayne and Max)
  • Barrie Robran (SANFL legend)
  • Barry Round (Footscray, Sydney and Williamstown player)
  • Wayne Schimmelbush (Key member of North's 70s team under Barassi)
  • Michael Tuck (426 games and 7 time premiership player)
  • Tim Watson (One of the youngest players to debut, 3 time premiership player with Essendon and the father of Jobe Watson)
  • Murray Weideman (Collingwood premiership player and captain. Coach of Collingwood in a turbulent period in the 70s).
I'm sure he's asked Carey, Ablett Sr and Lockett to be interviewed, but they've all declined.

I am concerned your list only contains names that played in the last 20 years - I am more interested in going back 50 or 60 years to learn more about history - You could also interview people behind the scenes like administrators etc,etc,etc.

I am concerned your list only contains names that played in the last 20 years - I am more interested in going back 50 or 60 years to learn more about history - You could also interview people behind the scenes like administrators etc,etc,etc.
As I said, that list was off the top of my head.

You want to go back 50 or 60 years to learn about the history, you'd want to see Allen Aylett.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back