Opposition players we should target!

Remove this Banner Ad

smthomson

Senior List
Oct 5, 2004
Other Teams
Carlton
Ok so we receive some much needed high draft picks at seasons end with the posibility of a priority pick as well. But we still need the right balance of experienced players to remain competitive while the youngsters learn their trade. Who should we target?? With Campo & Whitnall on reduced contracts & certain delistings of players who just dont cut it will ensure room in our salary cap to chase some out of contract players from opposition clubs.
A few examples:
Luke Power maybe?? Certainly cant hurt to make enquiries!
Brendan Goddard a life long Blues supporter? Maybe.
Bartel & Kelly from Geelong have they signed yet?
Dean Brogan would be a handy pick up with our thin ruck stocks.
Thoughts??

i recon brogan would be a good pick up but its just wat are we willing to give up for him. maybe houlihan. just a thought though

Justin Longmuir is what we need a KPP who can also ruck. WThis then would allow French to ruck 24-7 and allow Longmuir to do the 'fill in the gaps'.

Waite_30 said:
Justin Longmuir is what we need a KPP who can also ruck. WThis then would allow French to ruck 24-7 and allow Longmuir to do the 'fill in the gaps'.
I think J-LO resigned with the Dockers for three seasons a couple of weeks ago

big_sav said:
i recon brogan would be a good pick up but its just wat are we willing to give up for him. maybe houlihan. just a thought though

Brogan isn't going anywhere... And Broges for houlihan? Are you people on something?

XXX KINGS said:
I think J-LO resigned with the Dockers for three seasons a couple of weeks ago
don't forget the -
he re-signed for 4 years the other day. And it's TLo who comes home to be with JLo, not the other way around!

lets just worry about about getting the PP and 1st pick in PSD...
who the hell are we gonna use as bait???

as much as i love the club, this year's a write-off...

blues76 said:
lets just worry about about getting the PP and 1st pick in PSD...
who the hell are we gonna use as bait???

as much as i love the club, this year's a write-off...

i reckon we should target salopek or someone like that ...

a high draft choice either not made his way into a team cos of injury or form ...

but with our psd pick ...

dont trade ANY draft picks ... we need them.

ps: power, goddard, brogan etc wont be going ne where.

PAFC2004 said:
Brogan isn't going anywhere... And Broges for houlihan? Are you people on something?

And you no his not going anywhere cos your on the Committee?? How the hell would you know your just another try hard supporter like the rest of us. Dont act all high and mighty go back to Port NTTAWWTter land

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I reckon a couple of the young Doggies might be worth chasing ie Sam Power and Patrick Bowden... may be a suitable trade for Whitnall. Keep Houlihan I reckon... as inept as he is at times, he is still valuable most of the time when the ball is in his hands. Will be even more valuable when we gets some harder types.

Salopek would be a good one too. No opportunites at Port and he's a Melbourne boy... think he's from the same club as Fev??

Another tall forward might be the go too if Lance will be gone... perhaps that young guy Vogels from Sydney (if unsigned) who has shown a bit. Vic Country boy.

No Geelong blokes will leave. They are on the cusp of something special. None of their group would be silly enough to sacrifice that.

If we get really desperate we can always get McKernan back.

What about Damien Adkins who hasnt been given oppurtunities at the eagles and is a thumping kick

Snoozer said:

If we get really desperate we can always get McKernan back.

He was gone as a player in his last year at Carlton, he certainly won't be any better when he is 3 years older!!!

igt22265 said:
Goddard,
Tim Notting would be handy, Ballarat boy.
I seem to recall they offered Power the captaincy a couple of years ago or maybe it was Yze.
Leigh Harding at North,
never gets much of a run, but knows where the goals are.

Bugger it, when is Barry Halls contract up for grabs.

Would be great to get Goddard ...
The Saints would be the first place to start looking as they are the most likely to have a few talented players playing below themselves and salary cap concerns with so many stars beginning to mature...would they swap Goddard and a average defender for a number 1 draft pick to get hold of some top younger talent that wouldn't be be asking for a pay rise anytime soon? Would we accept such a deal? Personally I would.
After watching the game tonight it occurred to me that we need to be filling about 10-12 places over the next 2 years (say 8-10 delistings this year and the retirements of Campo and Kouta probably at the end of next year...both big losses). We've got Russel and Hartlett coming through and maybe Setanta but no one else I can get too excited about (maybe the rookie smith will get promoted). Maybe we should be considering trading those first two picks for four picks under 30...if that was possible? Has this sort of thing ever happened before? Maybe a West Coast or St Kilda would be willing to trade a number one draft pick for their first and second round draft picks (say a 12 and 28). Given that some teams already have lots of young talent and may only need a "top-up"...would any team be willing??? Its just an idea...but I'm just thinking how we might stretch 2 or 3 early round draft picks to cover numerous holes.

i think brogan will be on the market for sure considering that port arnt playing him at all atm so he will leave to get a real go in the ruck.

av76 said:
The Saints would be the first place to start looking as they are the most likely to have a few talented players playing below themselves and salary cap concerns with so many stars beginning to mature...would they swap Goddard and a average defender for a number 1 draft pick to get hold of some top younger talent that wouldn't be be asking for a pay rise anytime soon? Would we accept such a deal? Personally I would.
After watching the game tonight it occurred to me that we need to be filling about 10-12 places over the next 2 years (say 8-10 delistings this year and the retirements of Campo and Kouta probably at the end of next year...both big losses). We've got Russel and Hartlett coming through and maybe Setanta but no one else I can get too excited about (maybe the rookie smith will get promoted). Maybe we should be considering trading those first two picks for four picks under 30...if that was possible? Has this sort of thing ever happened before? Maybe a West Coast or St Kilda would be willing to trade a number one draft pick for their first and second round draft picks (say a 12 and 28). Given that some teams already have lots of young talent and may only need a "top-up"...would any team be willing??? Its just an idea...but I'm just thinking how we might stretch 2 or 3 early round draft picks to cover numerous holes.

ummmmmmmmmmmm,
so let me get this right................

We lack class, so we should trade picks 1 & 2 or whatever we get early, for 4 "higher picks" to gain more honest battlers, rather than 2 definite stand outs ?????????????

WTF are you on ?

av76 said:

I haven't posted here for awhile but I just saw this post and cringed.

This has got to be the sinlge most idiotic post I've seen on these boards. The fact that it is a legitimate opinion is even more scary.

Have you been watching football for the last 10 years or so or studied past drafts? The first 5 picks are so important because the quality of kids you draft with those are going to be so much classier and more likely to be career stars then the vast majority of other picks. In a normal draft year, the quality of talent drops off enormously after pick 5, and after pick 10, it becomes on the most part a lottery.

When you look at other clubs, and compare our lists with theirs, what do we lack? We lack a Riedwoldt, Judd, Hodge, Brown etc. We lack skilled, classy players who you can build a side around.

If we trade any of our picks this year I will be absolutely furious. The administration of this club has crippled us in the past and it must now stop. If a player liked Luke Power decides to come home, I would stop following football, if we sacrificed one of our early picks for him. It is time to be ruthless. Get rid of the utter sh*t that our list is full of. Bulk up on draft picks .... absolutely bulk up. The more picks we can secure the better, as the higher the chance is of snagging a quality player with a later pick.

The other threads in this Carlton board suggesting we recruit more and more recycled hacks have no idea whatsoever. Players of the ilk of McGrath, Bannister, Clarke, Longmuir, Teague, Morell etc etc etc etc do not help in rebuilding a side, do not help in contesting for a flag and certainly do not help in buliding this great club back into they dynasty it once was.

I have faith in Pagan and feel that he will use the draft picks we will obtain wisely. However, it is time we, the supporters stopped even talking about these ludicrous ways of building the list, and we should not tolerate the administration sacrificing key picks in the future.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back