Oppo Camp Opposition Watch

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 28, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Arsenal
I couldn't see one of these in the board and couldn't remember if we had one in the past.

But I thought I would start one to discuss all things about the other 17 clubs in the AFL.

Ill start...

Melbourne are no where near as good as they are made out to be and we are a chance against them up at the Gabba in a few weeks.

I couldn't see one of these in the board and couldn't remember if we had one in the past.

But I thought I would start one to discuss all things about the other 17 clubs in the AFL.

Ill start...

Melbourne are no where near as good as they are made out to be and we are a chance against them up at the Gabba in a few weeks.
Solid contested ball playing list, but poor gameplan and coach.

One thing about Paul Roos type of game plan is it take a lot out of players if they can't convert to goal. Against Hawthorn and Tiger they got their chance but did not take it .

A big issue with our “supporter culture” is that there are many many fans that haven’t let go of previous alliances and get all upset and salty if that team or a player from that team is criticised OR don’t mind it that much if we lose to them OR if they want to take one of our players.

Until everyone is all in we won’t have a rabid atmosphere at Carrara.

I had a team before The Suns-I now see them for what they really are and love to see them suffer.

Come aboard the Mr Bods hate all opposition teams party. It feels good.

This opposition watch thread will expose some of those who aren’t “all in” I think.

This opposition watch thread will expose some of those who aren’t “all in” I think.
I am the first to admit i am not " all in " but always prefer any state second team apart from maybe Port . I am sick of people whinging about Plastic and yet raid those club players .

I wonder if Melbourne had not had a big cry to the Union about going on a tough camp whether they’d be more able to see out 4 hard quarters because they did hang in there for about 70% of the game and then eased off into the night.

A big issue with our “supporter culture” is that there are many many fans that haven’t let go of previous alliances and get all upset and salty if that team or a player from that team is criticised OR don’t mind it that much if we lose to them OR if they want to take one of our players.

I had a team before The Suns-I now see them for what they really are and love to see them suffer.

:rolleyes:;)

I wonder bods, what was your "team before the suns"?
I was an adelaide supporter and the first time the suns played adelaide i wanted the suns to win so much i realised they were now my team. I dont hate adelaide but i would rather them lose if it benefited my suns.

good-good-let-the-hate-flow-through-you-13858771.png

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yes l see what you mean l have very little emotional attachment to the Saints now and want the Suns to smash them when we play them.
It's very weird because l was a real diehard Saints fan before the Suns came along.
They are still my second team but it's a very distant second now.

I don't think supporting more than one team is a "big issue". I followed Melbourne for years when I lived in Melbourne, but then started following the Suns when I moved to QLD. I still cheer for Melbourne when they play, and I'll be at the gabba in a few weeks to see Melbourne and the Suns play. I'll be in my suns gear and cheering for the suns because they are now my #1 team.

It's a simple fact that the suns have only been around for a few years, so unless you have just started following AFL, or are young enough that you never saw the afl without the suns, then you would have supported another team.

FWIW I think the suns have a great chance of beating Melbourne, and I hope they do. Melbourne seem to have gone backwards from last year - maybe they miss Watts? :rolleyes:

Lowest scoring first 5 rounds since 1968. We're also witnessing the death of key forwards.
Teams are just stacking their fwd line with smaller players that tackle like crazy. It's sad to see actually.
Not really Eagles and Adelaide are playing few key Forward . Freo are scoring 100+ point without their key Forward Tab for 3 Quarter .

Not really Eagles and Adelaide are playing few key Forward . Freo are scoring 100+ point without their key Forward Tab for 3 Quarter .
I'm looking at Richmond, Geelong and Collingwood's forward set ups this year.
Geelong have kicked 70 goals and Hawkins 4, Stanley 3.
Richmond 75 goals - Riewoldt 11, no CHF.
Collingwood 67 goals - Moore 2, Cox 2, Reid 6.
They are the form teams and watching Essendon yesterday, Daniher was a liability with how Collingwood set up.
Some teams like WCE, GWS and Adelaide still have tall fwd lines, but the landscape is changing quickly.

I'm looking at Richmond, Geelong and Collingwood's forward set ups this year.
Geelong have kicked 70 goals and Hawkins 4, Stanley 3.
Richmond 75 goals - Riewoldt 11, no CHF.
Collingwood 67 goals - Moore 2, Cox 2, Reid 6.
They are the form teams and watching Essendon yesterday, Daniher was a liability with how Collingwood set up.
Some teams like WCE, GWS and Adelaide still have tall fwd lines, but the landscape is changing quickly.
Totally disagree, think its more a result of teams utilising what their lists have. the teams you listed are all deficient in the key forward stakes (except maybe richmond) If those teams had a reasonable key forward option (or another option in Richmond's case) they'd be playing them.
There's a reason Key forwards regularly go top 10 in the draft (i imagine the recent 'failures' might make teams a little cautious going with a top pick in the coming years). teams want them. Patton, Boyd, McCartin, Weitering, Schache.

Totally disagree, think its more a result of teams utilising what their lists have. the teams you listed are all deficient in the key forward stakes (except maybe richmond) If those teams had a reasonable key forward option (or another option in Richmond's case) they'd be playing them.
There's a reason Key forwards regularly go top 10 in the draft (i imagine the recent 'failures' might make teams a little cautious going with a top pick in the coming years). teams want them. Patton, Boyd, McCartin, Weitering, Schache.
Bulldogs won a flag the year before with Picken their key forward.
Gunston and Sicily being sent down back, same with Darcy Moore.

Bulldogs won a flag the year before with Picken their key forward.
Gunston and Sicily being sent down back, same with Darcy Moore.
a team being successful with a non-typical forward is hardly evidence of a shift, especially when the team you nominate had spent an Obscene amount of money to bring in a high potential key forward that same year - obviously they wanted a big guy down there but didn't have one of the quality required.

Same deal with Moore, his problem is he's just not that good (yet - hes still youngish so will probably improve). Remember Mat Pavlich was an All-Australian Fullback in 2002...

Sicily is pretty much same boat as Moore, good but not that good, plus Hawthorns depth in the forward line is much better than their depth in the backline.

IMO you're totally reading too much into this.

I personally think its more to do with the number of quality KPP declining due to the increasing size required to be a KPP... 190cms used to be plenty to run around as a full forward/CHF - now clubs are looking for guys 197+ to play those roles (previously ruckman sized). the guys that used to be full forward size are now playing in the midfield.
Lockett 191cms, Dunstall 188cms, Sumich 190cm
D. Moore 203cm, J Daniher 200cm, T Lynch 199cm

The higher you set the bar (im so punny) the fewer quality footballers you'll get because there simply aren't as many guys that tall, let alone are that tall, AND Athletic, AND Choose AFL.

Last edited:
Bods was a Geelong supporter for sure, and followed Ablett over to the Suns. You can tell he retains respect for both still.

Sent from my VTR-L09 using Tapatalk

Ha ha
You know what
Until last year and all the sparring with Geelong fans I didn’t mind that club.
Many times I cheered for them in Grand Finals.
Now they are firmly entrenched in the hate list

interesting to hear watching the Carlton v Bulldogs game that the Bulldogs fielded the youngest team in the competition today with 2 more players under 10 games than Carlton. Makes you wonder where Carlton's rebuild really is at

interesting to hear watching the Carlton v Bulldogs game that the Bulldogs fielded the youngest team in the competition today with 2 more players under 10 games than Carlton. Makes you wonder where Carlton's rebuild really is at
Hopefully they don't get any players back next week from Roughead, Trengrove, etc

Remove this Banner Ad

Back