Toast Our contested marking

Remove this Banner Ad

free at last

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 16, 2009
south of lat 32
AFL Club
Fremantle
Our contested marking to me has definitely improved in 2015.Fyfe appears to have taken his contested marking to another level.I can't remember a better player of his size at taking contested marks on such a consistent basis.

Zac Clarke is starting to consistently clunk big marks at crucial times too.

These two guys definitely save our arse at times.

Zac has always been a good contested mark.

It was his other work around the ground that needed work as well as goal kicking. Both of which has improved a lot this season.

He was never consistent with it. He'd take a good contested mark once every two or three games but this year he's doing it each game.

The ones he didn't grab were brought to ground which is what you want if no mark is taken.

The ones he didn't grab were brought to ground which is what you want if no mark is taken.
Some of them were brought to ground. A lot of them spilled out of his hands and were turned over. He's not as sloppy as he used to be and is becoming a genuine forward option instead of just being a mobile ruckman.

Some of them were brought to ground. A lot of them spilled out of his hands and were turned over. He's not as sloppy as he used to be and is becoming a genuine forward option instead of just being a mobile ruckman.

How many contested marks on average would you say is expected for a player like him?

How many contested marks on average would you say is expected for a player like him?
For Zac who rests forward and intercepts around the ground given his mobility, I'll pull a number out of my arse and say 2.17 marks per game.

For Zac who rests forward and intercepts around the ground given his mobility, I'll pull a number out of my arse and say 2.17 marks per game.

That would be considered quite elite. It's something he should he should certainly strive for but not expected. Realistically he should be clunking 1-2 contested grabs per game as a pass mark anything above that would be excellent.

Only 6 players across the league averaged 2 or more contested marks per game last season, for what it's worth.

Clarke averaged 0.8 last year. He's averaging 2.2 a game so far this year, tied 6th in the league (the same amount as McGovern, actually).

He was never consistent with it. He'd take a good contested mark once every two or three games but this year he's doing it each game.

So this is pretty much on the money, the statistics would suggest.

Clarke adding this element to his game, to go with the strong contested marking of Pav, Fyfe and Sandilands, is really important for us.

Clarke just looks hungry! To me, he has always looked a bit lackadaisical. Getting to more contests=taking more marks, as I agree that he has always had good hands. Maybe the fact that Griffin and Hannath are both playing decent footy is keeping him on his toes. I also think he was playing a bit sore last year.

Only 6 players across the league averaged 2 or more contested marks per game last season, for what it's worth.

Clarke averaged 0.8 last year. He's averaging 2.2 a game so far this year, tied 6th in the league (the same amount as McGovern, actually).

So this is pretty much on the money, the statistics would suggest.

Clarke adding this element to his game, to go with the strong contested marking of Pav, Fyfe and Sandilands, is really important for us.
Well, there you go. His marking has become elite this year. It makes our forward line so much more dangerous when a 200cm dude is clunking massive pack marks.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well, there you go. His marking has become elite this year. It makes our forward line so much more dangerous when a 200cm dude is clunking massive pack marks.

But is he taking those marks in the forward line? Honest question, I can only remember him clunking some big grabs on the wing.

I think he's taking at least one in the forward fifty each game.

Zac's contested marks for the first rounds have been 2, 0, 5, 2.

Marks inside 50 have been 0, 0, 3, 1.

Total marks have been 4, 2, 10, 5.

It could be argued that his excellent game against a severely depleted Eagles backline have skewed the results. His non-derby games this year have been on par with last year. On the other hand, it's worth mentioning that his 5 contested and 3 marks inside 50 against the Eagles are both his career highest tallies, so that's a positive.

Zac's contested marks for the first rounds have been 2, 0, 5, 2.

Marks inside 50 have been 0, 0, 3, 1.

Total marks have been 4, 2, 10, 5.

It could be argued that his excellent game against a severely depleted Eagles backline have skewed the results. His non-derby games this year have been on par with last year. On the other hand, it's worth mentioning that his 5 contested and 3 marks inside 50 against the Eagles are both his career highest tallies, so that's a positive.
The whole point is that he's improved this year. Hopefully he keeps it going.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back