Ovens and King Football League 2013

Remove this Banner Ad

Does anyone know what bright are doing in the thirds? They couldn't field a side last week against benalla, and I was told they failed to field a side today- at home.... It was mentioned today they may have pulled the pin for the year

15/6/2013 Swanpool defeated Benalla Allblacks First time for at least 36 years, 22/6/2013 Swanpool first two wins in a row since joining the O@K

Yeah Plummer well done to the Swans last week and this week......as for your 36 year reference you failed to mention they played in different leagues for 32 of those years....but anyway as I said well done to them, great to see...

Those of you who may know me would understand the role I serve voluntarily within the Greta Football & Netball Club. Generally it's not my role to speak on behalf of our club in these forums but I can categorically state that this is 100% pure rubbish. The meeting we held with O&K recently (as did every club as part of the review) was a very productive one & there was definitely no talk of mergers.

Interesting that there was no talk of mergers... Have heard that the Review Panel when speaking to all clubs would mention possible mergers (maybe not necessarily Greta merging though) between any club to try and 'address' the inequities between top & bottom sides i.e. Senior Football Results.

Interesting that there was no talk of mergers... Have heard that the Review Panel when speaking to all clubs would mention possible mergers (maybe not necessarily Greta merging though) between any club to try and 'address' the inequities between top & bottom sides i.e. Senior Football Results.

Interesting NAL, so are you suggesting the outcomes of the review will be based around win/loss ratios and not around the value of clubs to their repective communities and to the game in general.....;)

Interesting NAL, so are you suggesting the outcomes of the review will be based around win/loss ratios and not around the value of clubs to their repective communities and to the game in general.....;)

Indeed I am not, Slim. As you mentioned there just doesn't seem to be enough footballers around to fill sides for all of the clubs... Is this a measure of the competitiveness of the league? Or a symptom of the increasing professionalism required of players & clubs that it restricts ability of participation (player & volunteer)?

Yet it will be the clubs whose Seniors that cannot compete with 'top-end' teams that will be looked at for mergers...

Also have noted that this review regarding the League is purely an AFL-driven exercise... Apparently no consultation made with Netball Victoria regarding what may happen to the netballers. Yes, smaller teams therefore numbers involved but I doubt there are many clubs that would disregard the importance of their contribution!

I'm hearing Tatong are in real trouble! more players walking out this week, not good for a club already battling for numbers! What is the go? Why is this happening? After finally getting the grant for the change rooms and work beginning recently, it may be all to no avail

I'm hearing Tatong are in real trouble! more players walking out this week, not good for a club already battling for numbers! What is the go? Why is this happening? After finally getting the grant for the change rooms and work beginning recently, it may be all to no avail

They had 6 blokes double up against Bright, talking to one of their players on friday, he said they had basically given up on getting any twos blokes to training & they are lucky to get 6 on a tuesday and around 10 on a Thursday... Hard to improve on the track or build anything

Mergers is one option of correcting the imbalance & it's something the league may explore. To mention one particular club is being "pressured" by the O&K to merge is nonsense.

With all these talk of mergers I just thought i'd throw in a outside suggestion.

Surely these ex B & D sides still have a role to play on a Saturday and are a great excuse to keep their small towns/communities alive, not just for the footballers but netballers too. Once these sides disappear there will be no chance they will ever return.

Out of interest is there any possibility (as said a few pages back) that there could be a south division of the Ovens & King?
Throw in the 4 ex B & D sides, All-Blacks until they pick themselves up again plus Longwood playing their traditional rivals in a competition of a similar stature to themselves.

Then you could look at the possibility of a club like Thornton-Eildon coming back out of recess. They were never a club on it's knees and it would be easier for them to get started up again in a weaker comp compared to the Yarra Valley.
Then there would be the potential for a club like Yea whose clearly struggled in the last few years in the YV comp and may suit a standard like this one suggested.

7-8 sides makes the competition relatively respectful and would still give these clubs with such long histories a chance to survive and play a role in weekend football where they wouldn't have to spend beyond their means to compete weekly.
This then allows the traditional O & K sides to play each other in a stronger comp without the blowouts we see every saturday.

Just a thought...long live local footy :footy:

the problem is player numbers .. yes making two leagues is a good option but that will move the problems it will not fix them merging is the only option.. how many sides in benalla and district have good numbers at the moment?

Surely it will be easier to recruit and easier to get people to put their hands up to play if it was an easier comp and they wouldn't get smashed every week.
Making it only 16 on the field in the 2s is also a good way to combat the playing number struggles which is what the maryborough and castlemaine league does.

the problem is player numbers .. yes making two leagues is a good option but that will move the problems it will not fix them merging is the only option.. how many sides in Benalla and district have good numbers at the moment?
If "numbers" or lack thereof was to be the one determining factor as to what the next step is, this is where the pros & cons for mergers becomes unclear. Because while Greta's results have clearly fallen away this year, they continue to field full sides & have never struggled for numbers. Factor in that they're financially sound & a merger raises more questions than it answers.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Surely it will be easier to recruit and easier to get people to put their hands up to play if it was an easier comp and they wouldn't get smashed every week.
Making it only 16 on the field in the 2s is also a good way to combat the playing number struggles which is what the maryborough and castlemaine league does.

In the final year of the B &D Tatong ended the year winless with a percentage of 9..... B & D back before it folded was with 5 sides in 2009 and Bonnie Doon had the highest percentage in the VCFL. Perceived easier comp doesnt neccessarly mean closer margins.

PRF your way of thinking is the way to go.

I agree it that it should be easier to recruit players into a side that is competitive or a league that’s not as strong. If there was a league that wasn’t as strong you would think that it would make football accessible to more players. Why restrict only the seconds, make the seniors 16 a side with a reduced bench in a weaker league. Reduced numbers in the seniors would also assist in levelling the competition. I’m sure most of the clubs that have not performed well at stages will tell you that it’s the bottom five or six players that make to most difference to results not the top five.

The focus needs to be on keeping clubs, not making every game of football in country Victoria a high quality match. Make to game accessible to more people. Who cares if there is a league that is of poor standard. There are leagues out there that don’t have seconds, but at least the clubs are alive.

I think there are a lot more alternatives to be explored than simply saying there are not enough numbers or clubs are not competitive so clubs should merge. If that’s the answer what do we do, make every club that doesn’t make the finals merge until we have a year that everyone makes the finals? The AFL can’t even create a completion.

There is no easy answer ...Don't wind up Clubs , encourage them to merge , if neither happens and a club folds let it happen naturally ...Too much talk , to many options , none are right .If a Club wants to keep going and they believe they can , let them have a crack

Very Strong rumour that the Alpine Eagles (Bright) 18 side has pulled the pin for the remainder of the year. I'm not sure how they can go from winning the GF last year to not being able to field a side this year especially given the population size of Bright and surrounding areas. The Snow Rd Saints last year went without a win all year getting belted most weeks but still fielded a side, has this become a political move on Bright's behalf to facilitate its move to the TDFL.

Very Strong rumour that the Alpine Eagles (Bright) 18 side has pulled the pin for the remainder of the year. I'm not sure how they can go from winning the GF last year to not being able to field a side this year especially given the population size of Bright and surrounding areas. The Snow Rd Saints last year went without a win all year getting belted most weeks but still fielded a side, has this become a political move on Bright's behalf to facilitate its move to the TDFL.

It is not a very strong rumour PineLime. It is reality that they are not in the competition for the remainder of the year. Spoke to someone from K/Valley footy club earlier and they have received a revised fixture fo the remainder of the year for the thirds. The fixture DOES NOT include the Alpine Eagles. There are only 4 clubs in the remaining fixture.
What does that mean for the thirds competition going forward? Worrying times for the league.

Nail was in the coffin on Saturday, they only have 9 regular players and rely on the U16s to top them up, however on Sunday the U16s only ran out with ten themselves!! Myltreford - the other half of the alpine eagles haven't been bring the numbers back to bright. Eg when Bushies come back to the O & M they have played seniors rather than thirds which as a result hasn't pushed any back (some of the eligable boys play Myltreford twos) .... and the fact they haven't been winning plays a big part in Bright.

The other sides, Suns, Saints & Bulls (TARRA) have come leaps & bounds this year. The 3rds league is more competitive than last year and playing numbers bar Bright have been good. As for next year, if Bright are still in the O & K, they need to get their arse into gear as the 3rds comp wont go ahead with 4 sides!

Jesus what happened at Glenrowan ..Noticed the score at 3/4 time 14 goals to 1 ..Are Glenrowan the real deal or King Valley Pretenders ?

Jesus what happened at Glenrowan ..Noticed the score at 3/4 time 14 goals to 1 ..Are Glenrowan the real deal or King Valley Pretenders ?

Tigers too quick and athletic - ran the Roos off their feet. Glenrowan a definite top four side, KV will probably still get there due to their draw, but can't see them doing too much damage in the finals. Bright has gone past them, but a tough draw means they will probably finish fifth.

King Valley's one goal in the first three quarters came from a free kick after a Glenrowan defender ran too far - rarely looked like kicking one outside of that. The three in the last quarter came when the Tigers took their foot off the pedal.

I procrastinated on this for a couple of days Nonch and I'm prepared to wager a packet of Chips and a Can of Pepsi Max with you that we don't get the spoon.....No pressure on your good self though...:rolleyes: :p....

You better not skip town on me slim :p

King Valley will probably bounce back this week against Milawa on the smaller ground..particularly if Cooper plays .
Glenrowan are saying that they will bring Hately , Gladman , Carroll and Sussyer back into that side ???????
Are they are chance to win it ? Are Bright ? or is it just down to Milawa and Tarrawingee ??

Remove this Banner Ad

Back