NRL Parramatta $570,000 over the Salary Cap, 5th Breach in 6 Years - Striped of all points and fined $1m

Remove this Banner Ad

If your contract(s) is officially $ABC but the money going into your bank account is $ABC + $D + $E + $F then well...

Your making an assumption that they know where $D, $E & $F is coming from and that they know that everything is not above board.
I'm willing to give the players the benefit of the doubt, because I don't believe a club (even Parramatta) would be stupid enough to inform the players or the player managers (who would have a better understanding of contract) that the money they received has been raised by devious means.

Your making an assumption that they know where $D, $E & $F is coming from and that they know that everything is not above board.
I'm willing to give the players the benefit of the doubt, because I don't believe a club (even Parramatta) would be stupid enough to inform the players or the player managers (who would have a better understanding of contract) that the money they received has been raised by devious means.

Which is it: The players - at least some of them - knew about the money being outside their contracts and took it anyway OR every player for the last 6 years has been thick as s**t and didn't bat an eyelid at getting overpaid?

Of course you can be mad but why blame the NRL? The Eels board is what has ruined everything.
There's no words for how angry I am with the board. As amateur as it gets. Who would be dumb enough to minute ways to circumvent the salary cap?

The NRL should be looking at the issue of TPAs but it seems there is no interest. It's not fair that teams like the Titans, Knights and Tigers have 0 TPAs but the Broncos and most likely the Roosters (maybe others) have more than $1 million of them and there is no cap. At present this is being totally squibbed as an issue. A luxury tax may help but I can't see it happening.

Which is it: The players - at least some of them - knew about the money being outside their contracts and took it anyway OR every player for the last 6 years has been thick as s**t and didn't bat an eyelid at getting overpaid?

huh!?!?

The were getting the Carlton old brown bags of cash as payments

Again you are making the assumption they knew they were getting the "Carlton old brown bags of cash as payments". As much as I have read so far, there is no evidence any of the players knew.

Again you are making the assumption they knew they were getting the "Carlton old brown bags of cash as payments". As much as I have read so far, there is no evidence any of the players knew.
Was said on NRL Tonight and NRL360

Pretty poor by the board, the only positive out of this is the clean out we have all been wanting for years from these clowns.
Best case scenario now is that all Wattmough's salary is wiped if it's found his injury is career ending that would save us $750k but even if a portion of it is wiped off the cap we may only have to move 1 or 2 players or release Junior Paulo early to the Raiders

Was said on NRL Tonight and NRL360

And where did they get that information from?
I've read everything from NRL CEO Todd Greenberg and NRL's Head Of Ingrity Unit Nick Weeks, and they make no mention of player involvement.

It's good to know that Australian Football codes have got their priorities in order.

You can inject performance enhancing drugs through your eyeballs but heaven help you if you pay your players outside the salary cap.

:rolleyes:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Some of the players got paid cash. No benefit of the doubt for that.

It's good to know that Australian Football codes have got their priorities in order.

You can inject performance enhancing drugs through your eyeballs but heaven help you if you pay your players outside the salary cap.

We were banned from the finals...

We were banned from the finals...

For the past three years your team/club has won games by using players who have cheated, and shouldn't have been playing.

So spare a thought for the other 17 clubs who have lost games to you bunch of drug cheats by playing these drug cheating players.

So go back crawl under rock and keep drinking all that lovely Kool-Aid which has been provided to you by the your PR team, of Rohan Connolly, Mark Robinson and all the other AFL Sports Media who have been towing the "only Bulgarian Weightlifters, Chinese Swimmers and Russian Athletes take PEDS" party line.

Banned from the finals - you should have been banned full stop.

Look, the ones doing the cheating, that is the administration of the club, the "agents", players if they knew what was going on and all the other shifty bastards, they should be the ones getting shafted not the fans.

We pay memberships, go to games, buy merchandise all for the love of our team and we are the ones that cop it by having our side being docked points!

F**k the c***'s that broke the rules; throw 'em in prison for fraud but don't punish the fans. It f*****g happens in all football codes where the perpetrators just get told they are naughty boys and girls and the "club" cops the fine and the "club" gets the points deducted and the "club" is the supporters and fans who did f**k all except follow their team.

For the past three years your team/club has won games by using players who have cheated, and shouldn't have been playing.

So spare a thought for the other 17 clubs who have lost games to you bunch of drug cheats by playing these drug cheating players.

So go back crawl under rock and keep drinking all that lovely Kool-Aid which has been provided to you by the your PR team, of Rohan Connolly, Mark Robinson and all the other AFL Sports Media who have been towing the "only Bulgarian Weightlifters, Chinese Swimmers and Russian Athletes take PEDS" party line.

Banned from the finals - you should have been banned full stop.

Lets leave this out of here as there's plenty of threads available to talk about this subject elsewhere.

There's no words for how angry I am with the board. As amateur as it gets. Who would be dumb enough to minute ways to circumvent the salary cap?

The NRL should be looking at the issue of TPAs but it seems there is no interest. It's not fair that teams like the Titans, Knights and Tigers have 0 TPAs but the Broncos and most likely the Roosters (maybe others) have more than $1 million of them and there is no cap. At present this is being totally squibbed as an issue. A luxury tax may help but I can't see it happening.

I think the NRL needs to firstly look at getting a more resourced and thorough auditing process considering that they looked over Parramatta's Accounts 12 months ago and found no evidence of salary cap irregularities. Paul Kent made a good point in stating that the three major salary cap scandals were only uncovered due to whistleblowers, not by the NRL auditors.

And where did they get that information from?
I've read everything from NRL CEO Todd Greenberg and NRL's Head Of Ingrity Unit Nick Weeks, and they make no mention of player involvement.
NRL Integrity Unit boss Nick Weeks said some of the payments had involved cash in hand. “Some of the resources the club has used to help fulfil promises made to players relate to cash,” he said. “That’s our assessment.”
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...l/news-story/47ddfbdf56e8b4bf4a8fae879be28bff

Here's my problem:

Player X, let's call him James Schmedesco breaks his neck. He is contracted to the Wests Tigers for 5 years for $6,000,000.

New rules stipulate the club pays him out, (McKinnon clause) but it is not counted towards the Salary Cap.

However;

Player Y, let's call him Anthony Mamotmough is in the last year of his contract, and it's worth $550,000.

He has a chronic knee problem and he may be forced to retire. If he retires due to injury, just like player X, it's not counted to the salary cap.

Here's the kicker:

UNLESS! Mamotmough's employers get caught in systematic salary cap cheating. They have to shed $500,000 worth of player payments from their books.

Now, if Mamotmough resigns, this money now comes off their salary cap.

How is this possible?

How is this open for exploitation?

No wonder why I gave up on the NRL a while ago.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back