Player Watch Patrick Lipinski

Remove this Banner Ad

You can all thank me for Lipinski playing well. I bagged him in the first quarter. After that my friends let me know and asked if I could have a go at Jordy.:mad:
You are not alone. My son and I were calling for Reef to replace him midway through the second, then bang, bang bang!
That's footy though. He was sensational after a slow start. So clean by hand and classy by foot.

You are not alone. My son and I were calling for Reef to replace him midway through the second, then bang, bang bang!
That's footy though. He was sensational after a slow start. So clean by hand and classy by foot.

Schultz should’ve been the one to get subbed. Not Lipinski.

We can be harsh on players without knowing the stuff that goes on. But this explains a lot about his 2023 season. It couldn't have been easy for him, physically and mentally. To do two shoulders back to back, which then means no preseason and falling behind. And not being as strong because of those surgeries.

TWO SHOULDER reconstructions in five months. That was the equation Pat Lipinski had to overcome to become a premiership player last year.

The 25-year-old started last season with his arm in a sling after dislocating his shoulder in Collingwood's final practice match against Hawthorn in Launceston.

Lipinski had just fully recovered from his first reconstruction at that point of the pre-season when he did his shoulder again at University of Tasmania Stadium.

He put his head down in rehab and got back to work ahead of schedule for the King's Birthday fixture against Melbourne in round 13, playing the final 14 games of the season, including all three finals at the MCG.

After finishing fifth in the Copeland Trophy in his first year at the club in 2022, Lipinski struggled to replicate that form after returning from surgery mid-season.

But he hung in, executing a role for Craig McRae to finish the season with a medallion hanging around his neck, after starting the Grand Final as the sub before replacing Nathan Murphy at quarter-time in the four-point win over Brisbane.

"It was really tough. I spent a lot of time last year in rehab and running on the sidelines. (I had to do) so many extra weights sessions just trying to build my strength back up. When you do the first one you lose a lot of strength then build up and almost get it back and do it again, so my strength wasn't there, it was down a lot," Lipinski told AFL.com.au after the win over Port Adelaide.

"It was a challenging year on that front, but it all worked out in the end, winning the flag. I wasn't playing my best footy at the level I played the year before, but I was playing my role as best I could.

"Now I can build nicely into this year and feel good again. The last off-season I was in the gym a lot and eating a lot trying to put on the weight again and get the strength back through my upper body."

"I change role every week to be honest," he said. "I can be quite flexible. I played wing last week. This week I played forward with a bit of mid late. I just play wherever they put me, but probably more forward this year."

After starting the season 0-3, history is against Collingwood in 2024. No reigning premier has recovered from a winless first three games to go back-to-back since North Melbourne did it in 1975. The Magpies are now 3-3 after interstate wins against Brisbane at the Gabba and Hawthorn during Gather Round, ahead of Saturday's 42-point victory over the Power.

"I think the belief was always there, we just needed to get that first win on the board. We played some good footy in those early rounds for a quarter or two. Even (against Port), we played three good quarters and we've done that the last three weeks, so we are working towards having a complete performance but it is heading in the right direction," he said.

We can be harsh on players without knowing the stuff that goes on. But this explains a lot about his 2023 season. It couldn't have been easy for him, physically and mentally. To do two shoulders back to back, which then means no preseason and falling behind. And not being as strong because of those surgeries.

It's taken Patty until now to get anywhere near his best after last season was basically ruined.
He's finally getting back to what he's capable of.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not only his best game for the Pies,
The best game of his career.
Kudos.
A cog in the machine, albeit a recent cog.

On SM-G975F using BigFooty.com mobile app

I think this was apparent to all who watched him. Just looked powerless compared to his first year here.

I think this was apparent to all who watched him. Just looked powerless compared to his first year here.
And there was no time to build up that strength and his confidence with it after the 2nd surgery, as he was already behind and it was mid season. Just had to deal with the hand he was dealt at the time. Get through the season and come back stronger in 2024.

Yep, we were harsh on him.

Shoulders are bast*rds to fix and 2 in a row would set anyone back. The rehab is a grind.

When I saw Pat mark overhead on Saturday I knew that he had regained confidence in his body.

This was a season-defining performance. Onwards and upwards for him.

Y81oRWIY.jpg

Beau restraining himself from going the Nipple Cripple

He will need to be re-wilded at some stage

Reckon Lippa plays his best football when he plays predominantly on the ball. He was at his best form for us in 2022 playing in the middle, then in his by far and large best game last season (Cats in round 22 at the G) and tonight was a similar story.

Though it’s extremely difficult and unlikely he plays there in a side with both Mitchell and Pendles in it. Food for thought I guess.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch Patrick Lipinski

Remove this Banner Ad

Back