Opinion Paul Roos

Remove this Banner Ad

The problem is you can't have another 'sheedy'

Back then he was able to take over and pretty much create the club his he wanted...akin to a soccer manager.. he was coach, recruiter, pr, marketing, culture..who knows what else?

That one guy in this new ages has been spread over about 15 different departments and roles.

How much actual swing does a head coach have these days? Probably has to run anything thru the board, head of football, head if recruiting, line coaches, dilute everything. He may get rights to game plan to an extent, player choice to an extent but no free rein.

Which in the end killed Sheedy any way, but that was when he was stale... Early doors we owe everything to what he did.

Clarkson is the modern era version. Very different personality wise, but he’s re-made the club with his vision and delivered success over a long period of time now.

We need to be looking for that person, the 15 year visionary coach. Not the 2-4 year stop-gap.

Clarkson is the modern era version. Very different personality wise, but he’s re-made the club with his vision and delivered success over a long period of time now.

We need to be looking for that person, the 15 year visionary coach. Not the 2-4 year stop-gap.
Underselling Kennett’s Role. Kennett didn’t and doesn’t accept mediocre.

Don't discount the possibility that the stop-gap might be what is required to find the next Sheedy or Clarkson.

There is a lot of Essington that needs to be managed by the new guy both in getting the job and then managing the first few years. Does the list have the potential we think it has? How many steps do we take to go back to go all the way forward? Is the board ever going to listen to someone without the clout of Roos or will they just be seduced by promises of premierships based on the usual overestimate of the list? Remember, WE ARE ESSENDON.

It's not like bringing Bolton into Carlton with a clear plan to rebuild the whole club. You'll have the social media and marketing flogs at Essendon driving a fever pitch of expectation consistent with the expectations of the fan base's furious expectations (on account of 15 years of trash).

That has the potential to very quickly crush the fresh face. It makes no difference to the stop gap. He has a very specific job to do and if it delivers success that's all the better.

I have to say that this is how I thought we were using Worsfold but of course Essington and his contract was extended for absolutely no reason only 2 years in.

Cats had Costa, Hawks had Kennett.

Yep spot on and we have Xavier. Xavier is a young business man who would know too well that a premiership was would propel his Cv curricula for bigger better things in the future. I don’t think he’ll put up with this too much longer.

He's installed a nice and sustainable culture for Melbourne. Definitely not losing games they should be winning
Roos is literally the one coach who has a more outdated gameplan than Woosha.

Besides, he seems to have set Melbourne up for a long period of success ey?

I'd die of boredom if we brought in Roos gameplan, but to be fair to him the Dees were looking good for a bit there, it's not really his fault that Goodwin came in and undid all his work.

Underselling Kennett’s Role. Kennett didn’t and doesn’t accept mediocre.

If Kennett has his way he’d have sacked Clarkson before the three-peat. He’d been there a long time and wasn’t getting results post 2008. He called for it.

Kennett left in 2011 and Hawthorn are very lucky he did.

Let’s not rewrite history.

Roos would have been a safe pair of hands to guide the team through the crisis. Much like Worsfold. But he isn't the right man to drive long-term success.

Roos has been very clear that he has no desire to be a career coach. Why pursue a coach who would a) be reluctant to take the job and b) would immediately be forming an exit plan?

There is only a handful of experienced coaches that even warrant a discussion. Most of those, such as Clarkson or Chris Scott, would surely be unobtainable. Longmire is probably the only established and successful coach that you might be able to poach. I believe he is out of contract at the end of 2020.

But the most likely course is to hire an established assistant coach who has been exposed to all the right people. An innovative thinker who can make the club their own and isn't tied to obsolete thinking and game plans.

Roos....yuck, would be the same as Woosha, so why bother.

I would happily have Sam Mitchell over Roos...... Then i would stand in front of mirror and set myself on fire.

It’s a no from me. What we need is the next Sheedy or Clarkson; a long term person.

Not a two year stop-gap.

Caracalla or Ratten potentially, I’m sure there’s some others around that have done their time as assistants and would love to get their hands on our current list.

Think we’ve got the talent mostly there, a few list holes but largely role player type stuff. We need a coherent game plan, a coach that can adapt to the opposition, and something our players can buy in to.

Thanks for saving me the time of typing out something like this. Exactly what I think.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Paul Roos is an overrated hack. What I want is a coach to trade our overvalued, underproforming players, go to the state leauges and get good undervalued players. Oh, and hire that guy who coached Hurley for that one game in 2012 where he kicked 6 goals against Freo and is apparently the best goalkicking coach in the world.

Just imagine what Roos could do with Zachy, Hookesy, Hurlsy, Shielsy, Oraziosy, Joey and the rest of the listy.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back