Pauline Hanson Goes Bang!

Remove this Banner Ad

I can see this one becoming the 2020 post-modern version of the Mona Lisa.
It just encompasses so much doesn’t it? The classical Queensland wife beater singlet, a tattoo of our mother Mary; a testament to the faith of the man, and a whip to punish those who dare stray from the flock of the great shepherd or whom do not approve travel expenses to Manilla.

Where does the populism come in? Her 'policies' are a cross between the Liberal Party and News Corp opinion pieces. Votes for Liberal bills unless she thinks they're not sufficiently anti-welfare, anti-union, pro-racist, anti-ABC. She's not doing anything for the poor people who supposedly vote for her (largely a myth, it's mostly middle class Queenslanders).

I didn't think you two could get any more boring or simple yet here we are. Greens senators vote with Labor. I guess their "policies" are the same as the ALP.

I didn't think you two could get any more boring or simple yet here we are. Greens senators vote with Labor. I guess their "policies" are the same as the ALP.

"You're right. She's not populist. What was I thinking."

I’ve never understood how people can be so bothered by different ethnic groups in Australia. There are so many sheep looking for a voice to follow because they like the idea of being ‘hardline’ or ‘tough’ etc etc. For my generation (mid thirties) there’s no real ‘good old days’. It’s not the gap that existed between people born in the fifties vs people born in the eighties.

I mean, if you ACTUALLY think about varying ethnic groups here, how do they impact you? Your day to day life? Your decisions, ideas, motivations etc? I think of myself and a devout non English speaking Muslim or African or anyone else really doesn’t need to upset me. I mean there’s no valid reason. Do I care about a mosque being built or attended? No. Why should or would I? Do I care about different ethnic groups populating certain areas or wanting to go about their business differently? No.

When you consider it, your life as a White Australian or white Anglo etc really isn’t going to change. You’re in the majority. Why get up in arms about different religious beliefs or traditions etc being enjoyed in Australia? It’s just nonsensical. The amount of air time and narrative attached to making an issue out of something is comically dumb. In fact the typical character traits of a racist are low intellect, insecurity, ignorance and boredom.

I am more concerned about an uprising of white supremacist groups gaining momentum and traction with an incentive to cause violence than I am from a Muslim man going about his day who is unfairly labelled as ‘different’ or who has ‘sexist values’.

In fact one of the most hypocritical viewpoints is that African men or Muslim men are sexist and demeaning towards women because it’s culturally inherent. Now, I’ll speak from experience, a family member of ours is married to an African lad and he is very chauvinistic and quite misogynistic. He believes women should do all the domestics etc etc, BUT, that mindset isn’t just apparent in some people of NON WHITE cultures. Australia right now has a pretty significant problem with domestic violence and a very very sexist misogynistic attitude in some industries; especially the footy industry. Having worked white collar all my life let me tell you, the male top end of town espouse some horrendously sexist and misogynistic views.

There are some absolute classic double standards at play in Australia, and our most ignorant like Hanson seem to choose the convenient moments to be upset.
It is possible that many 'locals' have outdated attitudes about things and we are welcoming new people that have equally outdated oppressive views and none of this is great.

In my experience though I'd think that much of what these new Australians think or feel gets a pass due to their culture and aren't attacked as hard as long term Australians.

Then again, I think that's going backwards too, women's empowerment and that. I see A LOT of males my age that continue to expect and get away with behaviour that would not be out of place in the era before feminism. Now they pass it off as male mental health, guys that do not want to take a more equal role in domestic and family life. I don't reckon it was like this a decade or more ago.

But I digress.

Sent from my Nokia 7.2 using Tapatalk

Remove this Banner Ad

Back