PC Pc Gaming/building thread

Remove this Banner Ad

AW3423DW is absolutely tempting. Was hanging on for the Asus PG42UQ being 4K and OLED, but the Alienware is ultrawide with the features I want.

So I think I'll definitely order this after watching some videos. Only downside is the slightly elevated blacks on HDR1000 mode but I don't mind as for some PS5 games on my LG C1 I've actually turned HDR off due to sometimes being too dark. Looks great for movies and shows but black crush in games isn't ideal. I just want those popping highlights like an IPS but with the contrast of a VA (also minus the ghosting and dimming zones). This monitor seems to be exactly what I'm after. SDR seems to perform really well too.

It's only $500 above a 3090, which is probably around the mark. It's pricey but you're always going to pay a premium for the top-of-the-line stuff

Paying more than twice the price to get around 25% more performance than a 3080 seems nuts

Ah well, hopefully 4000 series would be saner, Nvidia made their bag

Just found the article I mentioned before about the 3090ti being a test run for 4090, or Lovelace in general. The chips are supposed to be pin compatible so manufacturers will have had more time to plan their 4000 series cards. I think I read a while back that Nvidia were suring up fab capacity too so fingers crossed we don't have a repeat of 3000, but who can really say any more.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Weirdly condescending, but if you think 3500 for a 3090 TI is fine then you are the one new to PCs
I think it's the way it's worked for ages, you pay a lot for what is often a small performance increase, and that amount you pay increases the higher end you go. From memory the cost of the Pascal Titan X was insane compared to the 1080ti for a relatively minor performance increase. Current world events combined with crypto-douches buying everything up is driving prices through the roof, $3500 is nuts but people are still going to pay it.

The performance per $ is the worst it has ever been, in a time when less AAA games are being released per year due to COVID. Current gen consoles (if you can get them) have never been a better proposition over PC than right now, for gaming. And I don't really worry too much about pricing on my gaming purchases but I think it will take a rather seismic change in the industry for me to be as interested in PC gaming as I was just 2.5 years ago when I finished my last build.

Especially if Microsoft keep up the trend of a new console every 2 or 3 years for me to upgrade to.

The performance per $ is the worst it has ever been, in a time when less AAA games are being released per year due to COVID. Current gen consoles (if you can get them) have never been a better proposition over PC than right now, for gaming. And I don't really worry too much about pricing on my gaming purchases but I think it will take a rather seismic change in the industry for me to be as interested in PC gaming as I was just 2.5 years ago when I finished my last build.

Especially if Microsoft keep up the trend of a new console every 2 or 3 years for me to upgrade to.

A lot of the time I don't really break down value of any purchase, for me what it costs is just what it costs, but this current build is the first time I really started flinching at prices. $800 odd for a CPU, $1800 graphics card, $600 motherboard (ok this was more just my insistence on a particular board), $500 for memory, over $500 in storage etc. Granted a lot of that was just me not going for value options but the top stuff just isn't the same value anymore. However the Series X and PS5 are truly impressive machines and are really awesome value for how they perform. Granted this performance will taper off over the generation as more hardware comes out but as we've seen there are very few games that aren't optimised for consoles first. I love building top end machines more out of hobby, but I'm not feeling the same about my ~$5k machine vs current gen consoles compared to my previous 1080ti/8700k rig that not only demolished consoles but was half the price.

So I need some opinions:

When I get my new AW3423DW what should I use as my second monitor? The X34P so I have 2x 34" ultrawides, or the PG279Q (27" 1440p, same vertical height as a 34" ultrawide) which I'm currently using as my second monitor? I don't have room for 3 monitors.

Surely you have to at least try the dual ultrawide setup. I would do that 100% if I had the desk space.

side by side. I think stacked would be too distracting and I already get in trouble for my gaming area "looking like NASA". I usually only use the second monitor for things like Discord, guides, stuff to do with Destiny like raid symbols and stuff for callouts so using an ultrawide there would just be overkill. I think I'll try it for shits and giggles. Could be handy when using Unreal Engine though to split up more windows. Leaning towards the 27" just because that's more sensible.

So I need some opinions:

When I get my new AW3423DW what should I use as my second monitor? The X34P so I have 2x 34" ultrawides, or the PG279Q (27" 1440p, same vertical height as a 34" ultrawide) which I'm currently using as my second monitor? I don't have room for 3 monitors.
Dual 34s would be a little ridiculous............. cool, but a little ridiculous. I'd probably go 34+27 and maybe go vertical for the 27, or at least make the setup capable of that.
664jmn2qmox41.jpg

Hi all,

I'm ready to enter the modern world and build myself a BRAND NEW PC!!!!
My last PC was built so long ago I had to replace the battery on the motherboard. I didn't even know motherboards had batteries!

My PC will be mostly audio (post-production, editing) and a little bit of video stuff too (capturing video, rather than rendering).

My PC will need:
As many HDD bays as possible (I currently have 4 internal drives, and tonnes of external drives). I archive tonnes of video/audio/(lossless) music.
A PCIe slot- are these still common on motherboards?
10 USB ports, more even.
As much RAM as possible.
DEAD SILENT (ie: silent case & cooling components).

What can I expect for max $4,000? And what is the best online parts store?
I am expecting to recycle from my current PC the 900w PSU, case and storage.

Cheers!

Edit: this PC won't be for gaming, and ideally won't be connected to the Internet either.

Hi all,

I'm ready to enter the modern world and build myself a BRAND NEW PC!!!!
My last PC was built so long ago I had to replace the battery on the motherboard. I didn't even know motherboards had batteries!

My PC will be mostly audio (post-production, editing) and a little bit of video stuff too (capturing video, rather than rendering).

My PC will need:
As many HDD bays as possible (I currently have 4 internal drives, and tonnes of external drives). I archive tonnes of video/audio/(lossless) music.
A PCIe slot- are these still common on motherboards?
10 USB ports, more even.
As much RAM as possible.
DEAD SILENT (ie: silent case & cooling components).

What can I expect for max $4,000? And what is the best online parts store?
I am expecting to recycle from my current PC the 900w PSU, case and storage.

Cheers!

Edit: this PC won't be for gaming, and ideally won't be connected to the Internet either.
If you don’t need a separate gpu for gaming and/or video editing and can get away with an integrated GPU, then the motherboard requirements will be the biggest hurdle. That many USB ports plus I assume a decent dedicated sound card will mean that you’ll have limited options, and they will probably be at the expensive end of the market.

That said, $4k for a motherboard, CPU, cooler, RAM and an ssd to use as your boot/scratch driver should be plenty

If you don’t need a separate gpu for gaming and/or video editing and can get away with an integrated GPU, then the motherboard requirements will be the biggest hurdle. That many USB ports plus I assume a decent dedicated sound card will mean that you’ll have limited options, and they will probably be at the expensive end of the market.

That said, $4k for a motherboard, CPU, cooler, RAM and an ssd to use as your boot/scratch driver should be plenty
Thanks for the response.
Not sure an integrated GPU will work for me, I do basic video editing but even with an old GeForce, Adobe is sluggish. That could be my CPU though.
I guess I'm looking at price v performance on a video card, something around $400 seems reasonable.

Drives aren't an issue: My current PC has a 500GB SSD for the O/S (Windows 7), + another SSD for audio applications, which I'm planning on re-using in my new PC. I'm assuming 500GB enough for Windows 10?

I have a dedicated sound card, which runs via a Firewire PCI card, I currently use a PCI card for additional USB ports on my existing MB.

I've seen 12 core systems for $6k pre-built, I'm hoping $4k can get me close with just CPU, cooler, MB and RAM.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back