2nds Peel Thunder 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

I did notice recently that Pauline Hanson's party of nutjobs (sorry nutjobs / sorry mods) reckon a DNA test is a good way to sort out how 'full' an aboriginal is. Maybe they also have DNA test for determining whether people are racist.

There was an article written by Adam Goodes that appeared in the Age newspaper back in 2010. "Stereotypes ignore lot of hard work". Worth a read.

It's stereotyping which is problematic behaviour people need to move away from, positive or negative. It wasn't inherently discriminatory but if a person views people in such simple frameworks e.g Asians are smart, aboriginals are good at footy, etc. then it's concerning what other stereotypes this person has. That's why the comment made me and other people uncomfortable.
So the afl Dreamtime Game is a negative stereotype? You're on a football forum. What do you expect people to talk about? The afl honours all kinds of cultral groups and has multicultural ambassadors. Why should Australia's first people and the skill set so many have brought to the game not be identified as well. If it makes you uncomfortable that positive traits within the indigenous players who have played afl are identified the issue is yours only.

Last edited:
The umpiring was diabolical, it was like Williamson was out there strutting around like a Bantam rooster and refusing to play obvious frees to the Peel boys.
21 to 10 in East Perths favour in a flogging.

The umpiring was diabolical, it was like Williamson was out there strutting around like a Bantam rooster and refusing to play obvious frees to the Peel boys.
I am most disappointed at the management of umpires. I can't see that it would be difficult to positively impact blatantly bad umpiring. I am sure that stats would already be being used to track the performance of umpires and there would be nothing difficult about correlating individual umpires and the decisions they make against individual clubs. If they are out of balance then those decisions could be reviewed and the umpire guided about their decisions. I am not insinuating umpires cheat, but I do think they can sometimes have inclinations towards certain players and teams that effect their decisions. Home-ground crowd impact as well.

I shake my head at the world we live in now. Way too over the top with the PCness and false social justice warrioring

I like to think I’m straight down the middle. Socially progressive, but not a fan of open borders..yet I’m married to someone overseas who came here through the legal system and have lived in foreign countries.

The far left and right are absolute looney tunes these days. All sense of humor has fell by the waist sight.

Have they never seen Blazzing Saddles? It’s ok to have a laugh....if there is no malice involved.

How dare you have a go at Williamson. Not all Williamsons strut around like a Bantam rooster and cheat. You're stereotyping us Williamsons

(Log in to remove this ad.)

OK, here's my take on today's game. As always, take this as a personal view of one person watching the game. Happy for others to have a different view, I'm not going to argue with you :)

Firstly, although the final result was overwhelming, it wasn't until the middle of the third quarter that Peel actually started to play good football, and even then it was not great. Unfortunately East Perth post-alignment are atrocious, and for the majority of the game they were witches hats. Looking at the stats on this one could be very deceptive, as there was a lot of "stat padding" late in the game when East Perth were totally noncompetitive, probably due to the AFL listed players' fitness levels.

For me, and a couple of the other guys I spoke to, there seems to be something lacking in Peel this year. The body language of some of the players is terrible and they just don't seem to be playing for each other at times. Having said that, it's hard to argue with the final result, but I thought Peel were definitely flattered on the scoreboard.

Two best moments of the match for me...

Ryan Bennell, one of the "local" Peel guys kicked an amazing goal in the third quarter. Hugh Dixon tapped the ball over the back of the pack and Ryan ran on to it. The ball bounced awkwardly and I thought they had stuffed it up, but Bennell just patted it until it popped up then threaded a rolling curler through the goals from an acute angle. This kid is tiny, but has amazing skills!

The other one was the opposite end of the spectrum. The ball had been trapped in the Peel forward 50 for several minutes, with bounce after bounce in congestion. Finally big Scott Jones got sick of it, picked the ball up, burst through the pack like a battering ram and snapped for goal. He missed, but it is good to see the big fella using his strength for a change.

Player by player (Freo guys only):

Connor Blakely - clearly BOG for my money, and a class above anyone else out there. He is ready to come back into the AFL, and I think it was great that he got this run today for his confidence. Not sure how we fit him in, but if there are no obvious outs after the Adelaide game maybe we manage Brayshaw or Cerra for a week - I think Connor makes us better immediately and the young guys will benefit from freshening up.

Tom North - had a lot of it, but not as effective as Connor. He is good in tight and quite evasive, but doesn't have the burst speed to get out into space, so many of his disposals are rushed and ineffective. Still think he is going to be a good backup player for us in the future, but not ready as yet.

Mitch Crowden - Similar to North in that he doesn't seem to be able to break free from congestion. Loves to tackle and is very good at it, but needs to be more creative. Maybe an option for a defensive small forward, but I think Switta has him well covered in that area. Will be handy depth, but can't see him becoming much more than that because he doesn't have the size or the pace.

Stefan Giro - I have been really disappointed with Stefan this year, maybe a really bad case of second year blues? His kicking today was terrible in the first half, to the point where I was hoping he wouldn't get the ball! In the second half the game opened up a bit and he did some nice things, but you don't get that luxury at AFL level. Still like him, but if he doesn't add some strings to his bow I think he is just a poorer version of Crowden.

Bailey Banfield - not a great game from Bailey, I think he is another that is suffering from second year blues. He was much more effective last year, and seems to have lost some enthusiasm or something. He was OK, and got a bit of it, but I just thought he looked like he was going through the motions at time.

Sean Darcy - well, i said the body language of some of the guys was poor and big Sean was the worst of them. Were last year he would bounce from foot to foo t at the centre bounces, now he is standing there, head down and just doesn't look like he wants to be there. His second and third efforts are nowhere near what we saw last year and generally I thought we were better when Jones went into the ruck. Maybe he is just not fit or something, I certainly hope so and hope he gets his mojo back because we will need him.

Scott Jones - pretty standard game from big Scott. He is honest and he is limited. Doesn't clunk enough marks, is pretty slow, but tries his guts out which is more than could be said for some others today. Darcy took most of the ruck while Jones was up forward, but when he did run in the ruck he added a bit of vigour.

Hugh Dixon - started slowly but worked his way into it. Was matched up against Tony Olango in the second half and got the better of him. Took a couple of nice marks and he created a couple of goals with nice passes. Still a long way off AFL, but some raw material to work with.

Brennan Cox - he always looks laconic, but today he seemed more so than usual. Did some nice things, and showed his footy smarts at times, but I think he's coasting at WAFL level. I hope they leave him there until he really fights for a spot - it might be the making of him.

Jason Carter - I have no idea how he was named in the bests, because he was a long way off it today. The last two times I have watched Peel I have been enormously impressed with Jason, but today he looked either disinterested or injured. His greatest weapon is his speed and I don't think I saw him take off on a run all day, and he just generally looked out of sorts. He is young, so we can expect some inconsistency, but still needs time building resilience and consistency at WAFL level.

Brett Bewley - not his best game today, and I'm glad he wasn't promoted to the firsts based on today. Another who has great pace and a raking left foot, but rarely used either. Tried to be too cute with dinky little kicks and handpasses when the game was crying for someone to jump up and take it by the scruff. He is a mature ager, so should be leading from the front.

Griffin Logue - Griff has been out of the game for a long time and it showed. Displayed his amazing closing speed and long kicking a few times, but was just a little bit out of touch. Dropped a few sitters, and looked pretty spent at times. Probably a couple of good, hard runs away from being ready for the AFL again, but showed in glimpses why it will be worth the wait.

Lachie Schultz - probably his best game since arriving at Peel, and showed some flashes of brilliance. He has a great leap for a guy his size, reads the play well and has enough pace to get out into space. Really needs to work on his set shot kicking as he missed a couple of sitters, but looking like nice backup for Matera and Switta.

Tobe Watson - reasonable game without being outstanding. I think he reads the ball best of any of the Peel backs, and is a solid intercept mark. Too slight to be effective on the big forwards and probably too slow for the smalls, so I think we just need to have patience while he builds his body. Could end up a solid HBF but as someone said today, we have a glut of those.

Overall, great result but left me feeling a bit empty. Maybe I was expecting too much, but on paper I thought that was our best team at Peel for the year, and in the first half they just didn't get it done. They can't rely on "out lasting" teams because the really good teams like Subiace and South Fremantle will go to the final siren, and firness alone won't be enough. They have the fitness, they have the skills, they just need the real gut driven desire to win for the jumper and I think that is missing.
How did Jackson Ramsay from the Royals go?

So the afl Dreamtime Game is a negative stereotype? You're on a football forum. What do you expect people to talk about? The afl honours all kinds of cultral groups and has multicultural ambassadors. Why should Australia's first people and the skill set so many have brought to the game not be identified as well. If it makes you uncomfortable that positive traits within the indigenous players who have played afl are identified the issue is yours only.

I think you wildly misunderstand what the dreamtime game represents or understand what the difference is between stereotyping and culture. Highlighting the accomplishments and contributions of a minority group is not the same as saying X group = good at Y, bad at Z. But you're right this is a football forum so will leave it at that.

Jackson Ramsay missed all 2018 with an ACL. I can see he nominated for mid season draft but that injury alone at the beginning of 2018 likely put those ambitions to rest. Same goes for Blaine Boekhurst.

I find Kade Stewart an interesting proposition. 2016/17 with Hawks, 2018 with Katanning winning that competition B&F and 2019 with Souths and having a good season, named in the State team.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Jackson Ramsay missed all 2018 with an ACL. I can see he nominated for mid season draft but that injury alone at the beginning of 2018 likely put those ambitions to rest. Same goes for Blaine Boekhurst.

I find Kade Stewart an interesting proposition. 2016/17 with Hawks, 2018 with Katanning winning that competition B&F and 2019 with Souths and having a good season, named in the State team.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
thanks for the info.

I think you wildly misunderstand what the dreamtime game represents or understand what the difference is between stereotyping and culture. Highlighting the accomplishments and contributions of a minority group is not the same as saying X group = good at Y, bad at Z. But you're right this is a football forum so will leave it at that.
No I didnt misunderstand. The Dream Time Game is about raising awareness of Michael Long's walk to Canberra to raise awareness about indigenous issues. If you actually watch the game in the introduction they talk about the rich contribution of aboriginal players to the game of afl and talk about the excitement they have provided to afl fans over the years. Honouring the skills of Aboriginal players is central to the game. You're full of s**t. They actually use terms like 'amazing skills' as part of promoting the game.

I like to think I’m straight down the middle. Socially progressive, but not a fan of open borders..yet I’m married to someone overseas who came here through the legal system and have lived in foreign countries.

The far left and right are absolute looney tunes these days. All sense of humor has fell by the waist sight.

Have they never seen Blazzing Saddles? It’s ok to have a laugh....if there is no malice involved.

Believe it or not Blazing Saddles is currently one of the movies on Qantas in flight entertainment, was shocked, but delighted to see it on a recent flight, they haven't even bleeped out the naughty words. Its good to think one of the most PC companies in the world can see that despite the naughty words it's not a racist movie, rather it points out how absurd it is to be racist in a very funny manner.

Believe it or not Blazing Saddles is currently one of the movies on Qantas in flight entertainment, was shocked, but delighted to see it on a recent flight, they haven't even bleeped out the naughty words. Its good to think one of the most PC companies in the world can see that despite the naughty words it's not a racist movie, rather it points out how absurd it is to be racist in a very funny manner.
As someone who suffers from excessive wind I found that movie very offensive.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back