Cars & Transportation People who never get a driving licence

Remove this Banner Ad

freebloke

Cancelled
Apr 8, 2016
AFL Club
St Kilda
This got me interested a little bit. Why do people not get a driving license?

Now, there are legitimate reasons. Some can't - I once pestered a friend who later told me that she had a medical condition affecting her driving abilities and thus had failed despite taking driving lessons. Yet other times people don't own or want to own a car. Some just live close to the public transport, are physically disabled, or just have some phobias.

But, what are some non realistic reasons that people don't want to get a licence?

Wouldn't be surprised if it would be very common in true global cities with respectable public transport systems.

in big, busy cities with reliable and affordable public transport, driving would be more of a burden than a convenience. in Perth however, I couldn't imagine not driving. would be a nightmare.

Never had an instructor.

Close to going for Ps now, but it's pretty much just me and mum, and with us working at opposite hours, it never happened when I was younger. Now she's out of work, I guess there's a silver lining.

I've saved shitloads though.

Last edited:
in big, busy cities with reliable and affordable public transport, driving would be more of a burden than a convenience. in Perth however, I couldn't imagine not driving. would be a nightmare.

I probably do about 5,000 km a year in Perth, a bit more with a few trips so the SW or up North. Could probably survive without a car if I had to but it would be a pain in the nuts. The PT system works well for people who live centrally and work in the city or surrounds. For a lot of people it isn't an option.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There are a few people that just aren't comfortable with being in control of around two tons of metal going at great speed. I know someone like this. He drove but was never comfortable, after he had an accident he gave it away. I have a friend who after 30 years of driving is still not a confident driver (will only go certain places, won't drive at busy times etc.), she should not be on the road IMO.

I got my licence as soon as I was 18, we were all breaking out necks to do so back when I was young and it meant I could drive to Uni instead of getting the bus (much quicker).

Last edited:
I didn't get my Ls until I was 25 or something. I couldn't afford to keep a car on the road, so what was the point.
By the time I get around to it, my right eye had been dodgy for ten years or more. I eventually got my licence, but never drove with it after almost running an old lady down because I simply didn't see her (or much else on my right hand side). It was handy ID. Its lapsed now, because I couldn't be arsed going to get a test done for the additions I would need to a vehicle given I wasn't using it to drive.

Its a ******* pain without the ID though, as everyone simply expects every adult to have a licence. I have to take my passport everywhere I might be asked for ID.

This got me interested a little bit. Why do people not get a driving license?

Now, there are legitimate reasons. Some can't - I once pestered a friend who later told me that she had a medical condition affecting her driving abilities and thus had failed despite taking driving lessons. Yet other times people don't own or want to own a car. Some just live close to the public transport, are physically disabled, or just have some phobias.

But, what are some non realistic reasons that people don't want to get a licence?

It's their business. Why do you care so much?

They make it pretty hard, if you don't have someone willing to teach you cost is probably a big issue.

My daughter is in the process, 75 hours of driving, 15 of which have to be at night, several $70 driving lessons, plus test fees for a learners and a hazard test plus the actual driving test, it can run into thousands $$ if you don't have someone to supervise all those hours.

To make it worse, she just did her test on Saturday has done all the hours, she went in today to get her P's and was turned away because she was 10 minutes short on her night hours, despite having done many more than 90 hours in total.

Last edited:
how many hours do you need in Vic?

in WA it's only 25, and I'm pretty sure I only did 3 or 4 hours of genuine supervised driving and just fudged the rest.
120. I think I did about 50 and forged the rest. I spent so long forging them and using excel to get all the odometer readings right, so I was a little disappointed when the tester looked at the last page of my book for 2 seconds, ticked it off and gave it back to me.

Ah, you kids and your hours of learning. I drove on the road twice before getting my license, once on the highway for 1 hour, and once across town for 20 minutes. Other than that, a bit of stopping and starting up our long driveway and I was good to go :thumbsu:

I got my learner's permit in a country town, so it was just a matter of doing a 30 question multi choice quiz and needing to get 25 or something right. Most questions were as difficult as 'what side of the road do you drive on?'.

Did a bit if country driving, did a bit of driving around town and did my test at Welshpool DOT. I swear I drove around a few blocks, maybe did a 3 point turn - not exactly challenging. It's no wonder people don't know how to drive over here.

120. I think I did about 50 and forged the rest. I spent so long forging them and using excel to get all the odometer readings right, so I was a little disappointed when the tester looked at the last page of my book for 2 seconds, ticked it off and gave it back to me.
From my experience most kids fudge their hours, that is probably why they keep putting the minimum hours up, they figure that if the minimum is 120 most will do about 40, which is probably about right.

Got my L's the day I turned 16. Drove everywhere I could. Had two paid lessons in a manual car, the only two times I had ever driven manual then went for my manual P's the day I turned 18. Have been a free man ever since.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back