Perth GloryFC Thread-2018/19 PREMIERS!! FEAR OUR WRATH!!

Remove this Banner Ad

Neville was horrible and didn’t really help Dino out at all. Dino would be far better the central of the three centre backs but I guess can’t have a left footer at RCB. Surprised we also didn’t throw Dino up top for last 30 mins. He can cause trouble up front if we can whip some balls in.

We finally signed a striker. Hallelujah.

41473157_10156768736143960_7216725352947646464_n.jpg

Ikonomidis is a pretty top signing.
We finally signed a striker. Hallelujah.

41473157_10156768736143960_7216725352947646464_n.jpg
Great signing. Great age and a up and coming aussie attacking talent. A lot to like about this team at the moment, very glad we brought Popa in.

He's definitely a good get for the Glory but he's another guy hyped at a young age who's gone drastically backwards. I'm not sure how you go from Lazio juniors to Perth Glory in four years but somehow Aussies do. He's 23 as well and has barely played 50 professional games.

I mean this was a kid who debuted for the Socceroos before he'd played a senior, professional, proper match.

Next he'll be 25 and after some okay form, will go to a bottom-half finishing Belgian club or someone who came third in Switzerland and everyone will be saying how he's the future. Why do so many Aussies take so long to develop, and instead of gearing up for their best soccer at 25, are in a stage they should've been at 21? I mean seriously Tom Rogic isn't even the bonafide best player at Celtic and he's what, got three or so years until he starts slowing down a bit? Five years ago your hope would be he'd be at an Everton/Newcastle type club, playing every game in a side finishing 12th to sixth.

He's definitely a good get for the Glory but he's another guy hyped at a young age who's gone drastically backwards. I'm not sure how you go from Lazio juniors to Perth Glory in four years but somehow Aussies do. He's 23 as well and has barely played 50 professional games.

I mean this was a kid who debuted for the Socceroos before he'd played a senior, professional, proper match.

Next he'll be 25 and after some okay form, will go to a bottom-half finishing Belgian club or someone who came third in Switzerland and everyone will be saying how he's the future. Why do so many Aussies take so long to develop, and instead of gearing up for their best soccer at 25, are in a stage they should've been at 21? I mean seriously Tom Rogic isn't even the bonafide best player at Celtic and he's what, got three or so years until he starts slowing down a bit? Five years ago your hope would be he'd be at an Everton/Newcastle type club, playing every game in a side finishing 12th to sixth.
Not commenting on Chris in particular, but it is a major concern that a lot of our youth go off and then after about 4 or 5 years in the wilderness come back to Australia to finally get some proper game time. I don't know much that can be said about it apart from the fact that it is very odd how our highly touted youth players often are signed by their best club at 17 or 18 (incidentally a club they will probably never play a senior game for) before they become journeymen footballers. Do young Australian players leave too early? Why do clubs pick them up if they aren't ready or able to make it. Do Australian players get over-hyped by our scouts? Curious stuff. Is it simply because our expectations are too high? I mean, every week there are only 220 players who will start in the Premier league, is it realistic to expect us to have more than 2 of those players considering the status of football in this country?

I'd like to see more players follow the path of Mark Viduka. Obviously they're not all going to be as good but he was 20 when he joined Dinamo Zagreb. Played two full seasons for Melbourne Knights and won back to back Johnny Warren Medals before shipping off to a club where he was good enough to play and play well. Even Scott Chipperfield was an established NSL gun then moved to Basel at 26 and became a Socceroos regular. Aaron Mooy similar. Didn't really do anything with Bolton or St Mirren then established himself at WSW then Melbourne City before moving to Huddersfield via Man City's stealth third party ownership.

Way too many players play a handful of good games in the A-League then are off chasing a move to club where they're never going to get a game or chasing money in some nothing league that will make their career go backwards. What's the point of Daniel De Silva trying to go to Roma when he's not even good enough to make an impact at Roda JC? He didn't even do that much at Perth (as a teenager) and now he's back at Central Coast/Sydney FC as an OK A-League player at 21. Even Taggart, Nathan Burns, Bernie Ibisi... all moved and came back having achieved not much.

Arzani is next but he was at least a regular at Melbourne City and showed glimpses in his WC cameos.

That is why I am a bit worried about Italiano going to Leverkusen (IIRC) but the mid-table German clubs are very good at bringing through and developing young players so hopefully it becomes a good move for him.

German clubs have a rep for being good with youth development don't they? Shame our Aussie kids aren't quite up to Bundesliga standards

It's just this weird cycle of hype generally driven by blokes in the media protecting their mates and big upping the seriously stagnant nature of soccer in this country. And the reactive nature.

The main issue of course is youth set-up. You need cheaper admission fees at all ages and need government funded pathways that are really clear. In Aussie Rules, you pay 60 bucks to play Auskick. Then you go to a proper club once you're in high school. If you're good enough – or the product of nepotism, or even just tall – you go to a WAFL/SANFL/TAC Cup squad that is never in doubt due to it being geographical. You generally do this for about four years and then comes colts, the draft, if not that then state league footy.

What does soccer have? Old clubs rusted onto false prestige charging $7,000 a year so they can pay Nick Kalmar to come down and play for them. You then need to be 16 and living in the UK or Europe or else hope an A-League club decides to pick you up when you're 21. Of course that's unlikely because most A-League franchises will sign Michael Theo(klitos) again instead.

Maybe that's why you see these guys only regularly playing, domestically, at 21. They realise time's running out but haven't hit the comp that hard so take that contract from a team who finished 13th in the Eredivisie – because it's all they have and they want to live the dream and give it a crack. Two years pass by, you've done nothing, and you're going on what'll end up being a one-way ticket to Australia where you probably won't get another chance again.

Maybe if A-League clubs had direct links to certain state clubs it would make sense and you'd have guys getting a few 10-minute appearances at 18, then by 20 they'd be pushing as regulars, then you'd know exactly where they're at come age 22.

German clubs have a rep for being good with youth development don't they? Shame our Aussie kids aren't quite up to Bundesliga standards
Which of our kids have gone to Germany recently? Leckie, Armini, Rukavysta, Vidosic, Langerak, Kruse. From that sample it hasn't necessarily been the best place to develop (nor the worst mind you).

The 4 part state of Australian football podcast that was done by Fox Sports (IIRC) last year was fantastic and all about what is wrong with the game and the youth setup and pathways in Australia. If you haven't listened to it then I highly recommend finding it and giving it a listen.

Which of our kids have gone to Germany recently? Leckie, Armini, Rukavysta, Vidosic, Langerak, Kruse. From that sample it hasn't necessarily been the best place to develop (nor the worst mind you).

Let's be honest, Amini, Ruka, Vidosic, and Kruse aren't that good.

It's just this weird cycle of hype generally driven by blokes in the media protecting their mates and big upping the seriously stagnant nature of soccer in this country. And the reactive nature.

The main issue of course is youth set-up. You need cheaper admission fees at all ages and need government funded pathways that are really clear. In Aussie Rules, you pay 60 bucks to play Auskick. Then you go to a proper club once you're in high school. If you're good enough – or the product of nepotism, or even just tall – you go to a WAFL/SANFL/TAC Cup squad that is never in doubt due to it being geographical. You generally do this for about four years and then comes colts, the draft, if not that then state league footy.

What does soccer have? Old clubs rusted onto false prestige charging $7,000 a year so they can pay Nick Kalmar to come down and play for them. You then need to be 16 and living in the UK or Europe or else hope an A-League club decides to pick you up when you're 21. Of course that's unlikely because most A-League franchises will sign Michael Theo(klitos) again instead.

Maybe that's why you see these guys only regularly playing, domestically, at 21. They realise time's running out but haven't hit the comp that hard so take that contract from a team who finished 13th in the Eredivisie – because it's all they have and they want to live the dream and give it a crack. Two years pass by, you've done nothing, and you're going on what'll end up being a one-way ticket to Australia where you probably won't get another chance again.

Maybe if A-League clubs had direct links to certain state clubs it would make sense and you'd have guys getting a few 10-minute appearances at 18, then by 20 they'd be pushing as regulars, then you'd know exactly where they're at come age 22.
Our players are developed following strict criteria that makes out footballers rigid and showing a lack of creativity.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Our players are developed following strict criteria that makes out footballers rigid and showing a lack of creativity.
Probably finds support in the fact our most creative player in the national team at the moment (Rogic) didn't come through the traditional development pathway.

In fairness I think this later suggestion is occurring. The Glory have a team in the NPL in WA which only features players under 23 and a fair few of them got game time in the seniors last year. But really, it must be disappointing when you are a young striker in the NPL side and most of the A-league teams play 1 up front and rely on 30+ strikers from abroad.

What are everyone's expectations from this season? Seems like a mini revolution has taken place. I'm actually optimistic for us in the next two years, but cautiously so (as we all know somehow or another Glory really have mastered the art of underachieving since the start of the a-league)

Imo we should be at very least top four...but its glory so you never know

What are everyone's expectations from this season? Seems like a mini revolution has taken place. I'm actually optimistic for us in the next two years, but cautiously so (as we all know somehow or another Glory really have mastered the art of underachieving since the start of the a-league)

Imo we should be at very least top four...but its glory so you never know
With the final addition of Ikonomidis, I think anything less than the finals is unacceptable.

Finals is a must this season. This squad should be top 4 but the Kenny stench could last a season before the Popa aroma kicks in.

Any members know what the deal is with the exclusive members bar and lounge? It's part of the package with my Flexi membership and it sounds neat.

Any members know what the deal is with the exclusive members bar and lounge? It's part of the package with my Flexi membership and it sounds neat.

Dunno. I have never used it and even before the renovation I only went to the member's bar once.

Finals is a must this season. This squad should be top 4 but the Kenny stench could last a season before the Popa aroma kicks in.

Very confident you can access the Member's Bar in the East stand with a Flexi membership, and quite confident you can also access the Member's lounge in the old grandstand too.

I often go to the East Stand member's bar pre-game and HT to get full strength beer.

Glory put up a cryptic post on Insta, just with tomorrows date and a caption that reads 'tomorrow it begins'..anyone any ideas?

I asked a mate of mine who is usually up with Glory news and he said "The A-League marketing campaign for the season is being launched at that time tomorrow."

Remove this Banner Ad

Back