Perth housing crash

Remove this Banner Ad

Labour will change its housing policy. They only adopted it to win votes and given the scare campaign coming from the liberals and already falling market they wont pursue it. If they do keep it, it will make me think more highly of shorten.

Sadly, Labor will implement it but I give it 12-18 months before they change it.

It’s broader than a housing policy so the pain will be felt across the middle class.

I don't think you really need to get rid of negative gearing for housing affordability and stopping the property bubble, just get the banks to crack down on investment expenses as part of their assessments for investment lending.

It's already started post royal commission. Instead of just taking 80% of rental income in assessment, if people are going to claim a whole heap of stuff against their investment property with the tax man then it also comes off your servicing capacity with the banks.....sorts a lot of them out upfront....can't have it both ways anymore.

Public schools do, private schools mostly go through to year 12. North West coast would have colleges too, not just Launceston and Hobart.

Not as crazy as grade 7 at primary schools in SA.

You think actively not encouraging people to complete year 11 and 12 is crazier than having primary school go to year 7 and starting high school in year 8? Sounds like you are a product of the Tasmanian public school system.....

You think actively not encouraging people to complete year 11 and 12 is crazier than having primary school go to year 7 and starting high school in year 8? Sounds like you are a product of the Tasmanian public school system.....

You make it sound like Tasmania is a big place. 99% of kids would be a commutable distance from Hobart, Launceston or Devonport. Of the remaining 1% most of them are boarding from grade 7 already, people from west coast or the Midlands or king island or wherever.

Last edited:
Perth is full of soulless urban sprawl.

Why would anyone want to live in Tapping or Banksia Grove or Wandi?

That’s all Australian cities though. Once you move beyond Melbourne, or inner east Melbourne suburbs it turns to generic sprawl. Living on the Harbour in Sydney is a good lifestyle, brother enjoyed it for 12 months and I got to spend some time at his place in Balmain. For me living in the outer western suburbs of Sydney or Melbourne is easily the worst place I could imagine living in Australia.

I just bought a house six km drive from Perth GPO. Couldn’t afford that in Sydney, Melbourne or even Brisbane.

Have you been to Hobart? Truthfully.

I love them both. I'd definitely take them both over Melbourne. Perth's drawback is always the distance to everywhere else on the planet and that will never change.

If I were retiring tomorrow, Busselton would be my destination over just about everywhere else in the country that I can think of.

The opposite is true..?

Perth is further away from New Zealand and the N&S America. It’s closer to Africa, Europe and Asia than any other Australian capital (Brisbane included).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've invested in both Perth and QLD over the past 16 years. Low house prices doesn't mean much for long term investors. As long as my houses are rented out and my principle is going down on my owner occupied house it's all sweet.

People want instant increases

That’s all Australian cities though. Once you move beyond Melbourne, or inner east Melbourne suburbs it turns to generic sprawl. Living on the Harbour in Sydney is a good lifestyle, brother enjoyed it for 12 months and I got to spend some time at his place in Balmain. For me living in the outer western suburbs of Sydney or Melbourne is easily the worst place I could imagine living in Australia.

I just bought a house six km drive from Perth GPO. Couldn’t afford that in Sydney, Melbourne or even Brisbane.

Agreed, but this thread is Perth specific and I don't know Syd/Bris/Adel that well anyway. Outer suburban Melbourne is pretty hellish.

And shh. ;)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Every Australian capital city has souless cesspit looking outer urban areas.

I don't know what you gain from posting that sort of racist bigoted crap on here.

Either way enjoy your lunacy.

You highlighted one paragraph and called me a racist bigot. The story was one mans view of the housing bubble. I don't agree with all their publications, in fact I strongly disagree with some of their articles but don't give me a label because it doesn't fit your narrative.

Agreed, but this thread is Perth specific and I don't know Syd/Bris/Adel that well anyway. Outer suburban Melbourne is pretty hellish.

And shh. ;)

You don't know much about urban sprawl

Wandi has been around for years and consist of 5 acre lots. A Peaceful destination outside of suburbia. That's why people chose to raise their families there.

Our city is expanding so naturally many years later small block suburbs will suround it but wandi still has those nice 5 acre lots and are worth a decent amount. Far more than the average Aussie can afford.

And shh. ;)

You don't know much about urban sprawl

Wandi has been around for years and consist of 5 acre lots. A Peaceful destination outside of suburbia. That's why people chose to raise their families there.

Our city is expanding so naturally many years later small block suburbs will suround it but wandi still has those nice 5 acre lots and are worth a decent amount. Far more than the average Aussie can afford.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back