Official Club Stuff Carlton Academy - Next Gen & Father/Son/Daughter Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

I love seeing Kelly do well at the Crows and Dunkley at the dogs especially, the clubs that passed on them really stuffed up.

I hope that I doesn’t happen to us.

I find it odd that BSOS gets nominated for father son selection but both Hickmonts don’t.

I would love to know how hey rate these kids internally, by all reports Ben has been mentioned nderwhelming at best and both Hickmonts have had very good seasons.
I think Ben has been well hidden up until now. There's no answer to your question but time and a bit of trust in our recruiters.

I find it odd that BSOS gets nominated for father son selection but both Hickmonts don’t.

I would love to know how hey rate these kids internally, by all reports Ben has been mentioned nderwhelming at best and both Hickmonts have had very good seasons.

Wil needs to mature a bit (beef up) but we may not get the chance to revisit later.

“They gave me a call a few weeks ago saying they weren’t going to pick me up this year because they want me to mature more with my stature and grow in self-confidence,” Hickmott told The Sunday Times.
https://www.perthnow.com.au/sport/w...kmott-ready-to-grab-afl-chance-ng-b881021540z

Should at least try to tempt them across to the NB’s for a season if not drafted.

Re: Hickmott.

Am a bit disappointed we’re not going down that path.

Wil looked to have a pretty decent year and it would have been nice to see another Hickmott in navy blue.

Would hope we haven’t closed the door completely, if he doesn’t get a chance elsewhere.

An invite to come over and play for the NBs wouldn’t go astray IMO.

I would love to know how hey rate these kids internally, by all reports Ben has been mentioned underwhelming at best and both Hickmonts have had very good seasons.

It's all about output vs potential

BSOS

I see BSOS as borderline draftable (late ND to rookie pick). His season was ok, nothing great. But there is quite a bit to work with.

He is a big boy, quite athletic, made the u18 squad. Can play back or forward. This is also his first year at TAC level (pretty sure). So-so output, reasonable upside.

Liam Hickmott

Liam is the exact opposite. All output, little/no upside. He had a great season, winning his second club B&F AND the WAFL colts B&F. But he was 19 playing in an u18 competition, is small, slow and apparently not amazing disposal. Can't ask for better performance (well, apart from playing in WAFL reserves or seniors) but his game probably won't translate to AFL level.

Will Hickmott

In between the two above; showed reasonable performance/reasonable upside. Solid year in WAFL colts. Not playing WAFL reserves (as many top WA juniors do). Didn't make WA u18 team (EDIT: mistake, played 2 matches?). Wasn't invited to national combine. So not exactly a top prospect. He's an outside player; they often go undrafted unless they are elite prospects, which he is not. Is small, but can football and is an excellent athlete (fantastic results at state combine). Maybe makes it at AFL level, maybe not. No pressing need to go early on him (is still 17 too methinks) Has been told to go work on his game another year, would still be F/S eligible next year.

TL,DR; Drafting is more than u18 output. Which player would I pick to excel at state level football? Liam, then Will, then BSOS. Which would I pick to be successful at AFL level? BSOS, then Will, then Liam.

Last edited:
It's all about output vs potential

Will Hickmott

In between the two above; showed reasonable performance/reasonable upside. Solid year in WAFL colts. Not playing WAFL reserves (as many top WA juniors do). Didn't make WA u18 team. Wasn't invited to national combine. So not exactly a top prospect. He's an outside player; they often go undrafted unless they are elite prospects, which he is not. Is small, but can football and is an excellent athlete (fantastic results at state combine). Maybe makes it at AFL level, maybe not. No pressing need to go early on him (is still 17 too methinks) Has been told to go work on his game another year, would still be F/S eligible next year.

TL,DR; Drafting is more than u18 output. Which player would I pick to excel at state level football? Liam, then Will, then BSOS. Which would I pick to be successful at AFL level? BSOS, then Will, then Liam.
Would you like to check that, have games recorded. After the regular use of "vanilla" across these threads, this is a great description
for this kid. A December "foal" so has plenty of time, to my eye has different traits to the old man. Modelling himself on Gaff is perhaps
apt. Gaff copped so much criticism in his early years about soft and outside. Wil may be a player, but has a while to go. The state of
our list lends itself more to mature 20-24 range solid citizens to provide the depth. There are plenty of decent prospects in that range
that don't need to cross the continent to see if they have "it". May well be more an Eagle than a Blue too to add to the go slow.

If we are doing "project" players, a key position prospect like BSOS is obvious. Having said that, I was impressed at the training
sessions I attended in Maroochydore last pre season by the skinny kid with the elbow support. With no numbers or commentary,
it took a while to work out who was this skinny, lanky kid who moved well with good skills. Looked more like a raw mid than a key.
Growing in to his body, maybe some pressure to "go slow". Might take time, but I reckon he is a good investment, name aside.

Didn't Adelaide nominate Jackson Edwards before the draft last year?

I can’t answer that, I am just passing on info discussed prior.

I thought Edwards and jarman were both not nominated but could be wrong.

You can prelims players for the rookie draft though if overlooked in the ND

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I can’t answer that, I am just passing on info discussed prior.

I thought Edwards and jarman were both not nominated but could be wrong.

You can prelims players for the rookie draft though if overlooked in the ND
The rules are a bit confusing. The AFL website has a list on the father/son nominations but there is an * against Neagle and Dunkley and says players are not eligible to be matched If not selected in the National draft, the nominating club may pre-select the player as a Rookie.
Anyone know why these two have different rules?

The rules are a bit confusing. The AFL website has a list on the father/son nominations but there is an * against Neagle and Dunkley and says players are not eligible to be matched If not selected in the National draft, the nominating club may pre-select the player as a Rookie.
Anyone know why these two have different rules?

There are 2 different F/S nominations, the club can choose to nominate for the ND or the RD.

If the club nominates them as rookies, they have no rights to match if another club takes them in the ND. But if they make it through to the Rookie Draft, they are automatically selected with the club's last rookie pick.

What I find interesting about the nominations list was the bally hoo about the unfairness of father-son selections. This was the reason why we needed academies. To redress the balance. Seems out of kilter now.

What I find interesting about the nominations list was the bally hoo about the unfairness of father-son selections. This was the reason why we needed academies. To redress the balance. Seems out of kilter now.

Yep - bloodlines are all well and good, but if you give a club a huge geographical region and tell them that if they can find some young gifted athletes, and convince them to be part of the academy, there is a very good chance they'll find a Round 1 Talent every couple of years. Much more likely to see a top shelf academy player than you are a father/son, I reckon.

To be honest, Wil had a better season last year as a sixteen y/o, at least in terms of what you would expect from him. He didn't take it up a notch from being a bottom aged player to being draft eligible. The club would have noticed that. He needs to put on size and start to back himself in.

8 father-son nominations
21 Northern Academies nominations
15 Next Generation Academies nominations

Sydney 8, Gold Coast 6, Giants 5, North 5, Brisbane 4, Collingwood 4, Geelong 2, Port 2, Bulldogs 2, Carlton 1, *1, Fremantle 1, Hawthorn 1, Melbourne 1, Eagles 1, Richmond, St. Kilda and Adelaide 0.

I think it’s time to establish tenuous links to your club to redress the balance.

Still believe we may rookie both brothers
I'd be utterly dismayed if we did. Firmly believe that there's enough talent out there for us to take two fresh rookies in, and at the very least I'd be more interested in us signing Sam Fisher above anyone in the conversation other than Wil and Ben.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back