Phillip Hughes death inquest

Remove this Banner Ad

Cricket you need to grow up and man up

http://www.news.com.au/sport/cricke...s/news-story/98c1003673093fca6af3965c9f7076e4

If what happened was OK by 'the code' why deny it with a passion?
I have to admit, I find the connection between sledging and Hughes' death to be quite puzzling.

"Hopefully the focus on this unsavoury aspect of the incident may cause those who claim to love the game to reflect upon whether the practice of sledging is worthy of its participants," he said.
"An outsider is left to wonder why such a beautiful game would need such an ugly underside."

Cricket, like all competitive sports of this nature, does have an ugly underside. This has always been the case, and it always will.
An outsider indeed.

I have to admit, I find the connection between sledging and Hughes' death to be quite puzzling.

"Hopefully the focus on this unsavoury aspect of the incident may cause those who claim to love the game to reflect upon whether the practice of sledging is worthy of its participants," he said.
"An outsider is left to wonder why such a beautiful game would need such an ugly underside."

Cricket, like all competitive sports of this nature, does have an ugly underside. This has always been the case, and it always will.
An outsider indeed.

Then why did they deny what obviously happens and cricket fans support should continue to happen?

I too doont see the connection, and am puzzled why people obviously lied

An outsider like me might speculate that these people see the code of cricket as above the laws of the land

On what grounds. Because there may have been sledging? A lot of it was going off second and third and fourth hand information. The coroner ruled the players weren't at fault

Because he died carriying out work for them? Am I simpifying it too much?

My personal take is too many cricketers are just engaging in bullying dressed up as sport. Not even a tragic death permeates their thick skull personas.

I truly believe AFL would act differently

Because he died carriying out work for them? Am I simpifying it too much?

My personal take is too many cricketers are just engaging in bullying dressed up as sport. Not even a tragic death permeates their thick skull personas.

I truly believe AFL would act differently
You have never played cricket, have you?

You have never played cricket, have you?

Not australian style. I have seen similar bullying when walking past recreational cricket but i suppose the rub is the batsmen get to do the bullying in turn.

This is why they cant 'man up' and tell the truth in such a serious situation. Surely its not businass as usual?

I think many have moved on including the national team.

After the hughes death, when someone was hit by a bouncer (ie from johnson), everyone came in, touched the batsman to check if they're ok. even mitch did.

now, in this test, bouncing tailenders, everyone. its fierce. no apologies

Never understood the whole argument again sledging and I'd hope this bizarre inquest doesn't really change anything. Short of bowling overs of bouncers at a number 11 and telling him you want to flatten him, sledging is fine. This whole idea that it isn't because cricket is meant to be a gentlemen's game is pretty absurd.

Reality is it's a modern day sport filled with plenty of pressure and competition, there's going to be sledging, just like in every other sport. For them to come out and have a crack at the likes of Bollinger for talking a bit of nonsense like they normally would because it happened on the day Phil Hughes was fatally struck is nothing short of pathetic, and I could imagine this whole thing has turned out to be deeply hurtful for Hughes' cricketing mates.

If you've played a sport, you'd be aware sledging is just part of the game. I've copped all sorts of stuff, and have had some bloke tell me he's going to kill me. You don't actually think he's going to kill you, nor does anyone think he's crossing the line. It's about getting into the head of an opponent. The mental game is very important in being successful on the sporting field. Short of mentioning dead relatives, kids, being racist etc having a crack at a bloke is fair game. He's got a mouth too.

Hughes death was just freakish, the sledging thing should be totally irrelevant. I'm aware it was ruled an accident, just can't believe they're still banging on about this sledging thing. Reads to me like a bunch of people who have never played sport at any sort of decent level.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Never understood the whole argument again sledging and I'd hope this bizarre inquest doesn't really change anything. Short of bowling overs of bouncers at a number 11 and telling him you want to flatten him, sledging is fine. This whole idea that it isn't because cricket is meant to be a gentlemen's game is pretty absurd.
I guess another way to look at it is, why is it even considered part of the game in the first place? Yes, in competitive sport, people would be looking for an edge, but surely sledging should be within the confines of the sport itself. Saying you're going to kill someone, do things to their family members, have sex with their mothers etc just seems rather infantile.

This whole "inquest" is a joke, I feel for Phil's family but trying to drag Bollingers name through the mud is just plain wrong. His family sound like s**t people, it was a freak accident, nothing more or less.

I still can't understand why anybody would want to make the sledging their primary focus in this case, my little brother and i used to sledge each other in the backyard when playing cricket but what would that have to do with anything if one of us had accidentally injured the other while playing?

In a way i can understand the families grief has lead them to look for some reason why their young son dies when the reality is this was just a freak random event but others trying to push the sledging as the big story out of this i really do have to wonder.

Not sure i follow, i thought cooper didn't say anything like that at the inquest?

Why is he then assumed to be lying without any proof whatsoever that he is?
Why is Hughes's brother assumed to be lying? It would be a strange comment to make and attribute to someone.

We know sledging takes place, which is why the assertion that nothing at all was said seems unusual. On balance of probabilities, I think the sledge was made. I don't think that means anything or that we should hold it against Bollinger because it's just the way the game is played and no malice was meant. But as someone pointed out before, the fact they would deny it suggests they are somewhat embarrassed by it. If so, then perhaps we should take stock and decide just what it is we are willing to accept on the field.

Why is Hughes's brother assumed to be lying? It would be a strange comment to make and attribute to someone.

Im not assuming any of them are lying or telling the truth, i don't know cooper bollinger or hughes brother but im not going to assume the other two must surely be lying simply because hughes brother died.

All i know is we have no idea what was said or not said on the field that day and it had and still has no relevance to an inquiry on why a young man hit with a ball in the neck died.

Im not assuming any of them are lying or telling the truth, i don't know cooper bollinger or hughes brother but im not going to assume the other two must surely be lying simply because hughes brother died.

All i know is we have no idea what was said or not said on the field that day and it had and still has no relevance to an inquiry on why a young man hit with a ball in the neck died.
We're discussing it solely because the coroner discussed it. As such, people are forming opinions. You're right, it had no bearing on the fact that he died, but that doesn't mean it can't be a catalyst for talking about what is appropriate when it comes to sledging. If it was said, then it was an unfortunate coincidence, but if it can be agreed that threatening to kill someone on the field is no appropriate, then we won't come across such an unfortunate coincidence again.

Retaining the right to threaten to kill someone on the field isn't a cause I can really rally behind.