Unsolved Phillip Island Murder - Samantha Fraser

Remove this Banner Ad

Samantha Fraser, 38, a local psychologist recently changed the locks at her home and expressed fears for her safety in the months before her murder by "assault injuries".

The mother of three was found dead at the Seagrove Way property in the seaside town of Cowes on Monday after she did not pick up her three children from a local primary school.

Samantha's former partner has been questioned by police and released without charge.

Detectives from the homicide squad are also investigating whether the crime scene was tampered with.

There was another vicious murder, a long time ago but which has weirdly had a bit of press recently and a book where the author portrayed the island in a negative light.

FEW tourists flocking to Phillip Island know it is also the setting of the gruesome murder of Beth Barnard.
Each year thousands of people flock to the shores of Phillip Island in search of sun, surf and sand.

But as they pass over the bridge linking the idyllic summer getaway to the mainland, what few remember is that it was the setting of one of Victoria’s most gruesome murders.

Beth Barnard.

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/l...k=c6b301565efd315825ef0434f40fd27b-1532743781

I live on PI, and this happened only a couple of blocks away. Sounds like a possible dispute with the ex has gotten nasty or possibly a patient has flipped from what I've heard around the place.

She had had coffee with friends mid morning before having a midday appointment, which she never appeared at. Police found her body after the welfare check call came through. So fortunately such a short timeframe for foul play helps police.

I live on PI, and this happened only a couple of blocks away. Sounds like a possible dispute with the ex has gotten nasty or possibly a patient has flipped from what I've heard around the place.

She had had coffee with friends mid morning before having a midday appointment, which she never appeared at. Police found her body after the welfare check call came through. So fortunately such a short timeframe for foul play helps police.
So you're right there .. must have been a bit of a shock. She looks in her pics to be a really warm and bright character with a very low risk lifestyle. And a mum.

I hope they find who it was quickly.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Sounds like her partner had a lot of motive, that would be my guess. Fair to say if she had to change her locks to be safe he must be one crazy guy.

So it appears he may have been keeping a close watch on her, whoever it was?

The 'aggressive' ex-husband of a mother-of-three found dead in her garage had been charged with NINE counts of assault against her
  • Adrian Basham was scheduled to face court over the charges before the murder
  • Mr Basham has since been questioned regarding his ex-wife's death six days ago
  • Neighbours have described the 41-year-old as 'aggressive' and 'domineering'
It is not suggested that Adrian Basham is responsible for the death of Samantha Fraser.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-charged-NINE-counts-assault-against-her.html

He was due to face Latrobe Valley Magistrates Court on Monday.

The undercurrent ...

"The ex-husband of a woman found dead in her Phillip Island home fears for his safety after he received a text message from someone saying they would “fix him up”, a court has heard.

Adrian Basham, 42, did not appear at the Latrobe Valley Magistrates Court in Morwell on Monday over charges unrelated to his former partner’s Samantha Fraser’s death last week."

https://www.theage.com.au/national/...ids-court-due-to-threats-20180730-p4zue0.html

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The undercurrent ...

"The ex-husband of a woman found dead in her Phillip Island home fears for his safety after he received a text message from someone saying they would “fix him up”, a court has heard.

Adrian Basham, 42, did not appear at the Latrobe Valley Magistrates Court in Morwell on Monday over charges unrelated to his former partner’s Samantha Fraser’s death last week."

https://www.theage.com.au/national/...ids-court-due-to-threats-20180730-p4zue0.html
So not only is he a suspect in this, he's on other charges as well. Obviously they wouldn't ask for suppression of a challenge to a parking ticket or some other minor offence.

So not only is he a suspect in this, he's on other charges as well. Obviously they wouldn't ask for suppression of a challenge to a parking ticket or some other minor offence.

It's already been reported in the press what he's facing court for so an interim suppression order on the details looks more like staging? imo.

It's already been reported in the press what he's facing court for so an interim suppression order on the details looks more like staging? imo.
Ah ok, I haven't seen that but I'll look it up, ty.

Word around town was that she was in a new relationship and was hoping to finalise her legal arrangements with the ex and starting fresh. So there is another male on the scene ...

From local paper just now -

BREAKING: Adrian Basham was charged with one count of murder earlier today. He will appear in the Bairnsdale Court today and will be remanded in custody. Detective Sargeant Steve Sheahan of the Homicide Squad who led the investigation has thanked the community for the assistance they have given the police to solve this case. Det. Sheahan has emphasised that police still need the assistance they were calling for this morning (see our earlier post and transcript) as they need to compile further evidence to take before the Courts. Congratulations from the Advertiser to the Homicide Squad for their tireless work over the last 10 days. We salute you!

Also the info police were asking for :

POLICE ARE APPEALING FOR COMMUNITY HELP!

Did you see a motorcycle travelling onto Phillip Island at any time from 7am on Monday July 23 in and about the Cowes area from about 7.30am until approximately 12.15pm, and exiting the Island sometime around 1pm?

CCTV of a male wearing dark coloured pants, dark shoes and a black hooded jumper with a distinctive dark blue, broad band across the midriff and arms, around the Cowes area between 7.30am and 12.15pm and particularly around the Seagrove or Settlement Road area.

This is the full transcript from a media conference held this morning (Thursday) appealing for our community’s help to identify a man seen in the vicinity of the home of Sam Fraser on July 23, the day she was murdered.

Inspector Tim Day, of the Homicide Squad, gave the following address:

“This is a crime that strikes at the very heart of our own humanity. How does society reconcile the slaying of an innocent young mother in the safety of her family home, thus leaving her children abandoned at the gate of their local school, never to see their mother again.

“The Homicide Squad will bring Samantha’s killer to justice, but we need the community’s help.
"There are two specific areas I need you to focus on today.
“One relates to any assistance, sightings, observations, dash cams, CCTV footage of a motorcycle travelling onto Phillip Island at any time from 7am on Monday July 23 in and about the Cowes area from about 7.30am until approximately 12.15pm , and exiting the Island sometime around 1pm.
“The second is any assistance, observations, sightings, dash cam footage, CCTV of a male wearing dark coloured pants, dark shoes and a black hooded jumper with a distinctive dark blue, broad band across the midriff and arms, around the Cowes area between 7.30am and 12.15pm and particularly around the Seagrove or Settlement Road area.
“The male may have been in the main shopping strip of Thompson Avenue anytime from 7.30am up until around 9am and in or around the Cowes Primary School area.
“Again, that male may have been on a motorbike, he may have been on foot, he may have been wearing motorcycle gear, and wearing that distinctive black hoodie with the blue band across the midriff and arms.
“We know that at approximately 9am, he’s seen approaching Samantha’s home on foot from the North along Seagrove Avenue.
“We know that Samantha arrived home sometime shortly before 11.30am. We know that this male is then seen running northbound on Seagrove Avenue, from the vicinity of Samantha’s house around about 12 midday.
“We believe that this male may have made his escape on a motorcycle west bound on Settlement Road at around 12.15pm, and used back roads to exit the Island, and exited the Island sometime around 1pm.
“We believe that his motorcycle has been sighted somewhere near Sunset Strip or Surf Beach, the narrow neck on Phillip Island as you exit Phillip Island, at around 12.30pm.
“Again, this is our appeal to the public.
1. Any sighting of a motorcycle – any motorcycle. Any sighting of a male in motorcycle gear.
2. Any sighting of a male fitting the description of that with the black/blue hoodie, on the Island between 7am and 1pm on Monday July 23.
3. “Any knowledge of any person you may know who owns or possesses such a distinctive black and blue hoodie.
4. And finally, any person who may sell those types of items, who may have sold that black and blue hoodie in the preceding days and weeks prior July 23.
Samantha’s family need you to call Crime Stoppers.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back