Toast Pick #10 - Welcome to Carlton Lochie O'Brien!

Remove this Banner Ad

Simple as this for mine.
The coach lets them play on instinct and players trust him to put them in the right parts of the ground at the right times.
LOB among others seems to be thriving on this newfound leave the thinking to the coach policy.
You little beauty.
Taking the burden off of Dow and Fisher by playing them more outside than high game minutes on seasoned players has been so much better for them already, not wanting to back over old ground but how on earth we had Ed playing forward and Jack not utilised through the middle as the bigger bodies to support Crippa still baffles me...

Taking the burden off of Dow and Fisher by playing them more outside than high game minutes on seasoned players has been so much better for them already, not wanting to back over old ground but how on earth we had Ed playing forward and Jack not utilised through the middle as the bigger bodies to support Crippa still baffles me...
I think it would be easy to say Teague does this and Bolts did that. One is wrong the other right.
Its a bit more complex than that I feel.
Bolts had his ideas and whos to say in the long run they werent the right ideas.
Teague has inherited a squad that were very close to clicking.
Too many losses was the real problem affecting performance. Trying so hard and failing took its toll on all of them.
The pressure was taken off and now we see how close they were to something special.
And LOB was always going to be a good player it was just a matter of getting games into him as with all the young chaps.

Dow definitely being eased through. Bolton was making him work more midfield and Teague has him playing almost permanent forward. He's not 100% and needs a big pre season

I think LOB is a good example of why I don't like young players "learning the ropes" by chasing the tail of senior players as some sort of teaching process. Personally I just think it gets them into a defensive mindset and quells their natural ball winning ability and confidence.

I think it would be easy to say Teague does this and Bolts did that. One is wrong the other right.
Bolts had his ideas and whos to say in the long run they werent the right ideas.
Too many losses was the real problem affecting performance. Trying so hard and failing took its toll on all of them.
The pressure was taken off and now we see how close they were to something special.
And LOB was always going to be a good player it was just a matter of getting games into him as with all the young chaps.
Win 2 out of the GC,Hawks and Pies game and the confidence would have been up, the media would have been talking about other teams and people would be talking about how well Bolts was developing the team.

The experience Dow, Fisher and SPS have got out of this season will pay us back in the long run.

I think LOB is a good example of why I don't like young players "learning the ropes" by chasing the tail of senior players as some sort of teaching process. Personally I just think it gets them into a defensive mindset and quells their natural ball winning ability and confidence.

Do you think it's done that? I see the opposite

Personally, I think what Bolton has done with the younger players has allowed them to produce what they now under Teague. JMO

Its what Parkin used to do all the time. He understood the need for a 'talented' player to learn the hard stuff in a back pocket and how that would pay dividends over the span of a career.

Do you think it's done that? I see the opposite

Personally, I think what Bolton has done with the younger players has allowed them to produce what they now under Teague. JMO

You obviously know him better than I do Soapy but he looks less panicky to me and stronger at the ball. Sure some of that is confidence but a part of me thinks that there is also an element of backing yourself in as opposed to being solely focussed on where your opponent is and the ramifications if you leave him loose.

You obviously know him better than I do Soapy but he looks less panicky to me and stronger at the ball. Sure some of that is confidence but a part of me thinks that there is also an element of backing yourself in as opposed to being solely focussed on where your opponent is and the ramifications if you leave him loose.

It's not just him. Teague is doing a great job and has free'd them up.

IMO Bolton did them a lot of good by teaching the young players other things and working hard on defence and team play etc. It's great for them to do it hard at times. I thought at the weekend Lochie had the confidence to play on Hill and stop him but also run off him. I doubt he could have done that when he started and without learning to shut a player down.

One of his best games was shutting down Hunter when we beat the Dogs. Yet, he was criticised on here for not doing enough?

My only frustration with Bolts is he didn't release them enough and find a balance between development and best position. If he did I reckon he'd still be coaching. IMO he did a lot of good that we are now seeing the benefits. Holding back McKay was another obvious one

JMO

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Agree. Getting Polson to charge around at a million miles an hour applying pressure seems to have played havoc with his ability to be composed. It seems to have been to much of a change too quickly.

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

I hope we keep playing Polson back as a mid. IMO that's his go

It's not just him. Teague is doing a great job and has free'd them up.

IMO Bolton did them a lot of good by teaching the young players other things and working hard on defence and team play etc. It's great for them to do it hard at times. I thought at the weekend Lochie had the confidence to play on Hill and stop him but also run off him. I doubt he could have done that when he started and without learning to shut a player down.

One of his best games was shutting down Hunter when we beat the Dogs. Yet, he was criticised on here for not doing enough?

My only frustration with Bolts is he didn't release them enough and find a balance between development and best position. If he did I reckon he'd still be coaching. IMO he did a lot of good that we are now seeing the benefits. Holding back McKay was another obvious one

JMO
I think Bolts tried to release them and spoke often in the pressers about wanting them to.
Brendon is a very unlucky man. And the board and management are extremely lucky that Teague has done the unexpected. Makes them look like geniuses..... ;)

Imo being able to look at it in hindsight maybe some of Bolts coaching philosophies and playing style probably weren't what the team was ready for yet, by overloading up underdeveloped young players and their football abilities too soon. But i think the huge influence that Bolts had on the club as a whole in his short time will be forever remembered as an important part to building the key foundation blocks to a strong successful future...

I think Bolts tried to release them and spoke often in the pressers about wanting them to.
Brendon is a very unlucky man. And the board and management are extremely lucky that Teague has done the unexpected. Makes them look like geniuses..... ;)

Agree. Bolton coached for the future and Teague is coaching for now. I rate both.

The question is how long will what Teague is doing last? At some stage clubs will put time into us and work a few things out. I love that a coach allows the players to play more on instinct. We have the talent to do it. What is important is we still do the hard stuff as well.

Teague has also been great with his game day moves.

What impressed me about our win against Freo was the workrate and team effort. Do that consistently and you can achieve anything

You can notice it with his chasing and two way running, he just can't go with it for long enough atm...

Yep, plus his body strength. Dow had an injury over the pre season that really restricted him and he's paying for it. Watch for a big change in body shape and fitness in 2020. Kid has real talent and upside. Will be beauty

Imo being able to look at it in hindsight maybe some of Bolts coaching philosophies and playing style probably weren't what the team was ready for yet, by overloading up underdeveloped young players and their football abilities too soon. But i think the huge influence that Bolts had on the club as a whole in his short time will be forever remembered as an important part to building the key foundation blocks to a strong successful future...
Yes but what choice did he have with such a young and fluctuating list. We could easily say he took on a gigantic task and was on a hiding to nothing in this unforgiving game. The thing he brought back to our club in my view is dignity and self respect. He shouldered the responsibilty and took it all in his stride. His magnificent philosophy will stay with all the young men.

The reality is Bolton was not a good game day coach. By continuing to play Ed in the Forward line most likely cost him his job.

Agree. Bolton coached for the future and Teague is coaching for now. I rate both.

The question is how long will what Teague is doing last? At some stage clubs will put time into us and work a few things out. I love that a coach allows the players to play more on instinct. We have the talent to do it. What is important is we still do the hard stuff as well.

Teague has also been great with his game day moves.

What impressed me about our win against Freo was the workrate and team effort. Do that consistently and you can achieve anything

The first line is simple but extremely accurate.

Teague is also able to coach with freedom, as he is not trying to save a job, nor worry about the future of the group, it's why he is playing the likes of Ed and Murphy more around the stoppages

Yes but what choice did he have with such a young and fluctuating list. We could easily say he took on a gigantic task and was on a hiding to nothing in this unforgiving game. The thing he brought back to our club in my view is dignity and self respect. He shouldered the responsibilty and took it all in his stride. His magnificent philosophy will stay with all the young men.
Agree...

The reality is Bolton was not a good game day coach. By continuing to play Ed in the Forward line most likely cost him his job.

I saw that as coaching for the future. Imagine the confidence we would have got by beating Pies, GCS or Hawks with the midfield being led by Cripps Dow Fisher SPS etc?

Such a fine line. Our win at the weekend was great and needed but our 2 best players were Curnow & Murphy. Next step is to win with our best players being Fisher Dow Cuningham Setterfield etc

Remove this Banner Ad

Back