Toast Pick #3 - Welcome to Carlton Paddy Dow!

Remove this Banner Ad

I'd add Pickett in there as well. People forget how far back he has come from. To be where he is now is a credit to how much he wants it. Once he gets some experience and confidence he could be elite.

What's Jones ranked?

IMO Willo, Marchbank McKay will be A grade and Macreadie & Cuningham could easily get past B. Then there is O'Brien ;)

Can’t see Pickett making A Grade.. would love for him to prove me wrong as he has absolutely all the attributes but he still goes missing for too long in games! But boy is he exciting to watch

Can’t see Pickett making A Grade.. would love for him to prove me wrong as he has absolutely all the attributes but he still goes missing for too long in games! But boy is he exciting to watch

People forget how young and raw he is. Only 10 games and just starting to get fit enough. Had a bad injury so little base to work off. As a junior he could find it. I don’t see it as an issue. Patience

Looks like Judd, would be unreal if he turned out as good. Looks alright overhead too. Think we have a real weapon on the half back flank and that will be great as we haven't had any decent mid sized players to play this role for a very long time. Will definitely develop into a centerman though but be nice to have a team which is good enough to have the luxury of having him forward. Just like the build, power and break away speed he has and he doesn't seem to hold back. What really made Judd was that he was crazy elite at handling the footy under immense pressure and at pace along with his competitiveness and athletic prowess. If Dow has these traits and he very may well have then we have a ripper here.

Like all young players he'll have some developing.

I'd be very surprised to ever see him off HB. He can handle the midfield now with time up forward.

Hard to compare him with one player. Had the Judd burst of speed from a pack, is as tough in and under as a Wines and will be as clean by hand or foot as a Mitchell. Just needs to develop

It's the combinations around the middle that excite me as any. Dow (all round) SPS (silk & tough) Cripps & Kennedy (skillful Bulls) Curnow (worker) Charlie (Kouta like) then Murphy Pickett Fisher Polson Garlett (speed & skill). All can use the ball well and can kick goals.

I'd be very surprised to ever see him off HB. He can handle the midfield now with time up forward.

Hard to compare him with one player. Had the Judd burst of speed from a pack, is as tough in and under as a Wines and will be as clean by hand or foot as a Mitchell. Just needs to develop

It's the combinations around the middle that excite me as any. Dow (all round) SPS (silk & tough) Cripps & Kennedy (skillful Bulls) Curnow (worker) Charlie (Kouta like) then Murphy Pickett Fisher Polson Garlett (speed & skill). All can use the ball well and can kick goals.

He's a genuine midfielder who looks very capable of pushing forward and impacting the scoreboard.

Not sure we'll see him spend any time at half back.

So would I, half forward is what I meant to say, shouldn't do anything before coffee. The combinations will be the key, getting that right mix of big strong guys and smaller, quicker guys. A lot of these guys coming through seem pretty hard at it and all offer something different around the ball. Cripps, Curnow and Kennedy are probably going to be more inside. Murphy a bit of both and SPS, Fisher, Garlett etc with pace. Probably add Cuningham, Mullet, Dow. Think the mix is looking pretty damn good. If we add a real genuine allround star to that mix through trade or free agency then it will really top it off along with getting Docherty back who I was confident was going to be a part of that mix.

Dow will be a good onballer but if he's really good at half forward, really good half forwards are hard to find, I think we will want to find a way of having enough quality depth to leave him there for large parts of games. In the rotations of course.

We're not too far away really, just need to keep topping up from the top and get games into our young players.

I have a feeling people are forgetting how good SPS is.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

BOG in his 7th game, decent player.

Not disparaging SPS (I’ve never had a player create such a sense of joy from playing and is one of my faves), but it’s worth pointing out that Cripps was BOG in his fifth senior game.

Just amazing how good our midfield could be in a couple of years.

Cripps, Curnow and Kennedy are probably going to be more inside. Murphy a bit of both and SPS, Fisher, Garlett etc with pace.
Not sure where this notion of SPS being a speedy outside type has come from. He's a gun inside mid: elite decision-maker and distributor of the ball in traffic, loves to tackle too. Not overly quick but is just so smart with the ball.

I'd add Pickett in there as well. People forget how far back he has come from. To be where he is now is a credit to how much he wants it. Once he gets some experience and confidence he could be elite.

What's Jones ranked?

IMO Willo, Marchbank McKay will be A grade and Macreadie & Cuningham could easily get past B. Then there is O'Brien ;)

If you look at the current list, there’s around 20 players who could simultaneously occupy spots in or very close to the top 100 in the comp.

Most of the pieces are in place. It’s just adding depth and perhaps a bit of established cream over the next couple of trade/draft periods.

Not disparaging SPS, but it’s worth pointing out that Cripps was BOG in his fifth senior game.

Firstly, it was his sixth game.

Secondly, anyone can get 33 touches, 23 contested possessions, 11 tackles, 8 clearances and a goal in just their sixth match. :p

:eek::eek::eek:

Oh man. I can't wait to seeing him fully fit again. Will rip games apart.

Firstly, it was his sixth game.

Secondly, anyone can get 33 touches, 23 contested possessions, 11 tackles, 8 clearances and a goal in just their sixth match. :p

:eek::eek::eek:

Oh man. I can't wait to seeing him fully fit again. Will rip games apart.

Ah.. 6th game eh.

Pretty ordinary effort then... :oops:

Not disparaging SPS (I’ve never had a player create such a sense of joy from playing and is one of my faves), but it’s worth pointing out that Cripps was BOG in his fifth senior game.

Just amazing how good our midfield could be in a couple of years.

Amazing what it is now. Massive change in just 3 years

(Log in to remove this ad.)

our midfield with Cripps, SPS, Kennedy, Curnow, Dow , murph nice mix of grunt , skill, speed and endurance
Looking at the '22 and younger' group of mids (and potential/part-time mids) from inside bulls to balanced in/out to outside speed/class: Cripps, Kennedy, Dow, SPS, Fisher, Charlie, Cuningham, Williamson, Lang, O'Brien, Garlett, Pickett

What about Lohie Obrien. Why does everyone forget Lochie?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back