Analysis Pies over Bombers by 11pts

Remove this Banner Ad

Firstly, most commentators or media people, including ex players don’t know their ass from their elbow and speak wild generalities in order to speak to an uneducated, dim wit audience. So I don’t care what other commentators say

Hahaha we have qualified at least 4th you idiot. It’s flag or failure. Like last year, this is our premiership to lose. We have the talent. End of story. Or are you saying you don’t believe in the playing group?

So I guess we just pack it in, cause nothing our coaches can do can motivate the talented individuals we have to go above themselves to take ultimate glory.

There is three options

1. Playing group is awesome - coaches don’t maximise talent

2. Playing group is so so and coaches are so so

3. Playing group is bad but coaching group are genius’.

Mate. If you don’t think this premiership is ours to take (exactly like 2018) you aren’t a Collingwood die hard. This is our year. If coaches can maximise talent....
You do know there are others teams playing, who have the same level of talent.
There is no such thing as ours to lose, you have to fight to win it,

Mate. If you don’t think this premiership is ours to take (exactly like 2018) you aren’t a Collingwood die hard. This is our year. If coaches can maximise talent
MATE if it was all on the coaches Clarko would've won about 8 in a row.
Mathews would have a 4 peat.
As others have said give your anti Bucks agenda a rest will you.
If you're a true supporter, revel in what we have done and FFS stop trying to anticipate an opportunity to bag the man please!!

Didn’t know where to post this.. so here will do... if Jack Crisp doesn’t make All Australian team (he won’t, anti pies selection committee) the second best defensive team in the league won’t have an All Australian defender.
Roughead would also be deserving, but it's even less likely to happen.

It was 26 scoring shots to 15.

We were incredibly wasteful in front of goals whilst they were very accurate.

I will say that leg speed and quick corridor play from hbf does appear to worry us.
I've said my bit on the "merit" of that performance. It's no secret Essendon move the ball really fast off half back. At least we managed to control it after our usual first qtr nap. Loving Hawthorns work! I take it back... We're not just making up the numbers.

Yeah, what’s your point? Its clear the talent is there in the playing group. Always has been. Everyone knows we’ve been inconsistent all year from week to week to qtr to qtr. The coach acknowledges it. So I don’t think I’m saying anything controversial.

The mark of a great coach is to build a group of individuals into a great team. One that executes consistently when it matters. And the challenge ahead is to know execute in finals, when in 22 home and away games we’ve been unable to do that.

We’ve had the easiest run into the finals, 18th, 17th, 10th and now 8th. And in 3 out of 4 wins we’ve failed to maximise opportunity and put points on the scoreboard.

So as much as the playing group need to take their opportunities, the challenge for the coaching group is to find away to get them to convert. That’s what great coaches do, in all sports.

The only player of impact missing from last years GF side is Langdon. Cox, Seir, Aish and Goldsack have been replaced by more in form players (Roughead, Elliot, Brown, Noble and Magden).

Regardless of a somewhat disappointing home and away season, where i believe despite injuries 16+ games and a top two finish was the minimum expectation, I have no doubt if this team is actually coached to its maximum potential it will win the premiership.

I’m not here to butt tap and back slap a 15 and 7 season that should have been 18 and 4 (win Freo, hawks, gws and north and it’s a 19 and 3 season).

It’s flag or failure. No excuses. It’s been 9 years. Time for the coaching group to maximise talent and deliver the cup.
Seriously, do you judge your own performance and success in life against the same impossible standards you demand of others? In doing so, do you pay no heed to circumstances, factors outside your control, outperformance by competitors, dumb luck, etc? I hope not, because if you think about things that way all you will ever recognise is failure.
I don’t mean this in a deeply derogatory way, but the view of success and failure that you set out is incredibly superficial. Do you really believe it?
Here is the news... there is no straight line between effort and reward. Yes, they are closely related and that’s what makes effort worthwhile. You get more success with it than without it, but you do not always get success — especially when there is a large field of talented and motivated competitors.
If I apply your logic I have to conclude that Collingwood was poorly coached last year and didn’t play as a team, and that’s why we lost the Grand Final. I can’t imagine anyone actually believes that. Just one example...

Seriously, do you judge your own performance and success in life against the same impossible standards you demand of others? In doing so, do you pay no heed to circumstances, factors outside your control, outperformance by competitors, dumb luck, etc? I hope not, because if you think about things that way all you will ever recognise is failure.
I don’t mean this in a deeply derogatory way, but the view of success and failure that you set out is incredibly superficial. Do you really believe it?
Here is the news... there is no straight line between effort and reward. Yes, they are closely related and that’s what makes effort worthwhile. You get more success with it than without it, but you do not always get success — especially when there is a large field of talented and motivated competitors.
If I apply your logic I have to conclude that Collingwood was poorly coached last year and didn’t play as a team, and that’s why we lost the Grand Final. I can’t imagine anyone actually believes that. Just one example...
Buckley haters are unrelenting, they will never be happy with anything less than his summary execution.

Flogs of the highest order.

He is not here to apply reasoning or logic, his sole agenda is to bring the club down and he does it under the guise of wanting things done differently.

He is one of a cohort of posters that have systematically destroyed Fan Forums over a number of years by running their hate filled destructive agenda

There is something seriously wrong with them

Didn’t know where to post this.. so here will do... if Jack Crisp doesn’t make All Australian team (he won’t, anti pies selection committee) the second best defensive team in the league won’t have an All Australian defender.
Roughead would also be deserving, but it's even less likely to happen.

Maynard not too far behind

Watched a bit of the replay ...

... Memo to Madgen, a bit of a 1%’er: first quarter, Essendon take a shot in goal 40 meters out. Noble manning the mark. If Cox was playing he would have relieved Noble.

He is not here to apply reasoning or logic, his sole agenda is to bring the club down and he does it under the guise of wanting things done differently.

He is one of a cohort of posters that have systematically destroyed Fan Forums over a number of years by running their hate filled destructive agenda

There is something seriously wrong with them

I have to laugh at his contrived logic - “ “we have the best list and should win the flag”, to then introduce the agenda “ but are the coaches ( read Buckley ) able to deliver?

It’s so absurd he actually thinks we can’t see through this rubbish.

Firstly, most commentators or media people, including ex players don’t know their ass from their elbow and speak wild generalities in order to speak to an uneducated, dim wit audience. So I don’t care what other commentators say

Hahaha we have qualified at least 4th you idiot. It’s flag or failure. Like last year, this is our premiership to lose. We have the talent. End of story. Or are you saying you don’t believe in the playing group?

So I guess we just pack it in, cause nothing our coaches can do can motivate the talented individuals we have to go above themselves to take ultimate glory.

There is three options

1. Playing group is awesome - coaches don’t maximise talent

2. Playing group is so so and coaches are so so

3. Playing group is bad but coaching group are genius’.

Mate. If you don’t think this premiership is ours to take (exactly like 2018) you aren’t a Collingwood die hard. This is our year. If coaches can maximise talent....

Trav - I actually completely disagree on your rating of our coaches.

My contention is we have a very poor list and our outstanding coaches have delivered Top 4.
Well done coaches!!!!!!

You see - two can play at your game.

Collingwood have secured a place in the top four after defeating Essendon by 11 points, despite trailing by 19 points at the first change. The Magpies made the adjustments by winning the ball, maintaining possession and locking the ball in their forward arc over the remaining three quarters to get the points, despite poor conversion keeping the contest tighter than normally expected.

Collingwood won almost all of the statistics on offer, gaining advantages from disposals by +51 (420 - 369), +10 for kicks (227 - 217), handballs were won by +41 (193 - 152), while contested possessions had a differential of +12 (140 - 128), uncontested possessions were +55 (276 - 221), and intercept possessions were won by +5 (66 - 61). Hit-outs had a comfortable margin of +24 (41 - 17), clearances were won by +6 (33 - 27), +3 for centre clearances (12 - 9) and stoppage clearances was +3 (21 - 18). Uncontested marks had a positive differential of +22 (102 - 80), Contested Marks was +1 (9 - 8), while Marks Inside 50 were +7 (15 - 8) and +19 for Inside 50’s (57 - 38). Essendon’s only gains came from tackles by +10 (63 - 53) and Tackles Inside 50, which were won by +4 (10 - 6).

Adam Treloar (35 disposals @ 69%, 550 metres gained, 10 contested possessions, 25 uncontested possessions, 19 kicks, 16 handballs, 6 marks, 2 tackles, 6 score involvements, 6 clearances, 2 centre clearances, 4 stoppage clearances & 8 Inside 50’s) provided plenty of forward territory with his link-up work to take marks and generate plenty of scoring opportunities.

Brodie Grundy (33 disposals @ 76%, 318 metres gained, 21 contested possessions, 12 uncontested possessions, 6 intercept possessions, 14 kicks, 19 handballs, 35 hit-outs, 6 marks, 3 tackles, 6 score involvements, 7 clearances, 4 centre clearances, 3 stoppage clearances, 4 Inside 50’s & 2 Rebound 50’s) was the most influential player of the game, and Collingwood’s best player with his ability to play as a midfielder highlighting his credentials.

Scott Pendlebury (33 disposals @ 79%, 332 metres gained, 11 contested possessions, 22 uncontested possessions, 3 intercept possessions, 11 kicks, 22 handballs, 5 marks, 4 tackles, 2 goal assists, 7 score involvements, 2 clearances & 3 Inside 50’s) started slowly, before lifting his game in the second half, especially in the final term to get the side over the line. Pendlebury is going to play his 300th game in Collingwood’s first final.

Taylor Adams (31 disposals @ 84%, 390 metres gained, 9 contested possessions, 22 uncontested possessions, 7 intercept possessions, 17 kicks, 14 handballs, 10 marks, 4 tackles, 10 score involvements, 3 clearances, 2 stoppage clearances & 5 Inside 50’s) used the ball very well when he found space and worked hard as a lead-up option to take his marks.

Tom Phillips (24 disposals @ 50%, 468 metres gained, 4 contested possessions, 20 uncontested possessions, 2 intercept possessions, 4 marks, 4 tackles, 6 score involvements & 5 Inside 50’s) produced dare and aggression with his ball use.

Chris Mayne (31 disposals @ 90%, 345 metres gained, 11 contested possessions, 20 uncontested possessions, 4 intercept possessions, 14 kicks, 17 handballs, 8 marks, 3 tackles, 4 score involvements, 4 clearances, 4 stoppage clearances & 6 Rebound 50’s) showed excellent judgement with his marking, before displaying poise with his possessions from defence.

Jack Crisp (27 disposals @ 59%, 519 metres gained, 10 contested possessions, 17 uncontested possessions, 6 intercept possessions, 16 kicks, 11 handballs, 5 marks, 2 tackles, 9 score involvements, 6 clearances, 3 centre clearances, 3 stoppage clearances, 3 Inside 50’s & 2 Rebound 50’s) had a solid game in the midfield, while having stints in defence.

John Noble (20 disposals @ 80%, 281 metres gained, 2 contested possessions, 18 uncontested possessions, 5 intercept possessions, 12 kicks, 8 handballs, 7 marks, 6 score involvements, 3 Inside 50’s & 2 Rebound 50’s) played his best game for the club at AFL level, with his decision making and dash allowing him to shine.

Jamie Elliott (18 disposals @ 56%, 394 metres gained, 5 contested possessions, 13 uncontested possessions, 16 kicks, 2 handballs, 9 marks, 6 Marks Inside 50, 3 tackles, 9 score involvements, 3 Inside 50’s & 3 goals) was the most influential forward for the Magpies, despite being wasteful at times.

Jordan Roughead (15 disposals @ 60%, 256 metres gained, 5 contested possessions, 10 uncontested possessions, 6 hit-outs, 9 kicks, 6 handballs, 9 marks, 2 Marks Inside 50, 2 tackles, 4 score involvements, 2 Inside 50’s & 1 goal) played his best game as a forward with his marking, and capped it off with his first goal at the Magpies.

Will Hoskin-Elliott (14 disposals @ 64%, 232 metres gained, 13 uncontested possessions, 10 kicks, 4 handballs, 9 marks, 7 score involvements & 4 Inside 50’s) connected his team’s transition from defence to attack with his marking.

Brody Mihocek (11 disposals @ 64%, 6 contested possessions, 5 uncontested possessions, 10 kicks, 4 marks, 2 Contested Marks, 3 Marks Inside 50, 5 score involvements, 2 Inside 50’s & 4 goals) got off to a flyer with two goals in the opening term, and stood up when he was required after that.

Collingwood’s next game will be against Geelong on September 6 at the MCG. Time to swoop on the Cats at every opportunity until they can no longer compete for that week off. Get that week off Woods!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Congratulations on the win.

Here are the midfield frequency stats from the match. If you haven't seen a previous post, this is an overall summary of how often your players were lining up as one of the 5 mids at bounces.

Overall Summary - 24 Bounces

Treloar 23
Phillips 21 wing
Mayne 21 wing
Pendlebury 17 (4w)
Adams 15
Wills 13
Crisp 8
Elliott 2 wing

Rucks:
Grundy 21
Roughead 3

Centre Clearances (as per Champion Data/AFL.com.au
Grundy 4
Crisp 3
Treloar 2
Wills 1
Adams 1
Pendlebury 1

1st Half - 15

Treloar 15
Phillips 12 wing
Mayne 12 wing
Adams 9
Pendlebury 9 (5i, 4w)
Crisp 8
Wills 8
Elliott 2 wing

Grundy 13
Roughead 2

Final Term - 4

Phillips 4 wing
Mayne 4 wing
Pendlebury 4
Treloar 3
Adams 3
Wills 2

Grundy 4

Notes:
- All of Crisp's starts came in the opening term
- Equal most starts for Elliott from the 13 games analysed this season. This was only the 2nd game he received a start - Rd 5, being the other.
- Surprising to see Elliott as the relief wing over WHE, Brown and Thomas

Remove this Banner Ad

Back